Return to the Amaryllis/Hippeastrum Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Reminder - happy shopping is still possible!!

Posted by kaboehm 8b (My Page) on
Tue, Mar 30, 10 at 20:17

I just went onto the Royal Colors site (I have no personal connection to them) but have received great quality bulbs even this late in the season. I assure you it's still nice and cool in The Netherlands and the bulbs are in great shape. Their prices are extremely fair (4 bulbs and shipping for about $62 US...that's comparable to what you'd pay for hard to find hybrids here).

I hear that a few other suppliers in the US have some bulbs left or are making their last shipments of the year. You might want to call to see if White Flower Farm has bulbs left as I heard they were close to making their last shipments for the year. Their quality is also excellent and I look forward to seeing what they will be offering this fall. I met the WFF manager (Robert) at Keukenhof and we both admired many blooms. I hope some of my "favs" show up in catalogs this fall!!

Happy shopping! It's not too late!!
Kristi

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Reminder - happy shopping is still possible!!

K -

What had you heard in your travels about the "mislabel" problem? I've only placed one order with RC and it was perfect but I'll be real honest with you, I'm getting sick of dealing with some of the other sellers.

o

What I heard, from at least 2 people, was that a major grower in The Netherlands had had a fire a few years ago and then decided to sell off his stock. Most was done well, but some was not (other people came in an sold "this" as "that" and many mislables were introduced), which is why we have seen this problem more in the past 2 years. This only covers the individual bags we get from distributors...hopefully we should have far fewer mislabeled bulbs in the fall of 2010 and beyond!
Kristi

o

Indeed! I have broken down and ordered Matterhorn, Rapido, and Naranja from Royal Colors - a great company. We didn't have much of a winter here in Quebec and spring seems to be coming early, so end of April my new bulbs will be on their way.

Here is a Monaco bloom: it became huge - over 7 inches across. It had to be cut and put in a vase because of a problem it had, and I swear the blooms are much bigger than the first scape which had remained with the bulb. Truly amazing. And a grogeous color! From RC of course! Btw - the white patches are probably a result of the problem it had growing out...
Photobucket

o

Beautiful color!!

o

2 years ago I made a late spring order and got great end of season bulbs. Anna, I admit too that I couldn't pass up the chance and last night ordered Rosalie, Samba, RvR, and Fairy Tale. I have several bulbs that are reblooming, but after what I saw in Lisse, I just had to have Rosalie and Samba. Have tried all year to replace my RvR after my other one rotted (or ???) and Fairy Tale was very cute and called my name!
:-)
Kristi

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Amaryllis/Hippeastrum Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here