Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kaboehm

Gordie's Story....boring repeat?!

So...OK, I don't think it's boring, but since it's not a bulb that I "made" by crossing (when others make such beautiful blooms) it's a little much for me to take any credit.

HERE'S THE STORY:

OK...here's the short story. Two houses down, the guy used the house to grow orchids. When he moved out, the sheetrock was green with algae. Apparently he was using the house like a green house (it was green...literally!). He moved to another location in the area, and set up proper greenhouses for his orchids. After he moved out, the house was vacant for a while. One day, I saw a bulb sitting on top of the soil. I walked over, picked it up and planted it. This is what it became.

Last year I contacted Ludwig and Company to ask them if they had any idea as to the name of the Hippeastrum. They replied that this was a bulb that they had produced about 40 years ago, it never caught on. They sold it as "Striped" for a very short time and then quit pushing it. I was thrilled when Ruud added that I very well may have the last one in existence. In fact, in the few year that I've had it (maybe 8) the bulb has put out 4 offsets so I now had 5 bulbs!

My question was....since Ludwig never named it, and they don't grow it any more....can I name it?? I don't expect to patent it...but it can't go through life as "found bulb" or "stripe". Ludwig and Company replied back with permission for me to name it...and thus the process started!

I was thrilled that Ludwig didn't really express any intrest in getting it back.

Well...last August, all of the bulbs were in one huge pot and they got ROT! Talk about panic!!! So I set to work to save them. Two got cut, Captan'd, and dried. Two more got the hot water treatment. And the last one (the most badly damaged) got cut up and made 13 little baby bulbs that were identical to the parent bulb. These babies and the 4 mature bulbs are genuine "H. Gordie" bulbs. I do have many selfs that are a year old and doing great, BUT...they may bloom nothing like the parent plant. Think about a cockapoo dog. It's part cocker spaniel and part poodle. If you were to breed a cockapoo to a cockapoo...you'd get puppies that look more like a cocker, some that look like poodles, and some that look like the cockapoo parents all in the same litter. This is the same with selfing a plant. All of the genetics that go into making that bloom can be combined in infinite ways...and the results could be something plain but beautiful (like Minerva) or something wonderful!!

So....I am excited and will keep you all posted!! Self seedlings will be available on a limited basis.....

:-)

Kristi

Comments (21)

• kaboehm (zone 9a, TX USA)
    Original Author
    15 years ago

This was left out of the prior message...don't know why!
    K

Here is a link that might be useful: Photo album for Registrations

• elizabeth_jb
    15 years ago

Kristi,

There is a recent posting on davesgarden that shows a picture of a bloom that is amazingly similar to yours, so perhaps there are still others that exists.

I don't know what that would mean when it comes to registering since I have no knowledge of that process.

Ann

• pumas
    15 years ago

Kristi you can tell the story as many times as you like.How could it be "boring" Did you catch that "boring" from Arif mayhaps? Also I really enjoyed seeing the Album for Registration.It gave me a more in depth view of Gordie chez toi.
    Peace and keep that Gordie going there eh Mark

Original Author
    15 years ago

I'd be interested in seeing the photo Ann mentions. It's similar to a few blooms...but unique. It's all with KAVB now, so they can decide I guess. Ryan had suggested I post the story since there are so many new members.
    K

Original Author
    15 years ago

Ann, Do you think Pamela's post from a couple of days ago looks similar?? http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/961605/
    Not even close my Hippi pal!! There's far too much solid red on her petals...maybe a distant cousin.

I scrolled all the way to the bottom of the page (only goes to Feb 9th I think) and I didn't see anything close. Of course, not being a member I can't see the full size photos, so please send the link for whichever bloom you are refering to. I'm very curious. There's a side view of something posted by edric, but again, many look similar but are not the same!
    Thanks!
    K

• PRO
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I still can't get the full size photo. The bloom shape from the side looks different. Can you send me screen shots of the larger image?
    Thanks!
    K

Original Author
    15 years ago

Dear Jan and All,
    I am not a member of DG, so can't see these photos. The packet's been posted to the Netherlands. Guess they will determine the registration status! Ludgwig claims to have produced the bulb and gave me permission to register it, so I'll let the cards fall where they may. I didn't register it to profit, I just wanted to name it, since it had only been called "Striped" when it was sold. It's grown well for me. I'd love to see these other photos...but can barely keep up with this forum at times...adding another doesn't make sense at this point. Please send me screen shots of these other posted (DG) blooms as I am curious.

I had compared "Gordie" to about 8-10 other registered Hippeastrum. It differed in veining, size, and throat color (spots). Many had rings, but "Gordie" consistently has spots. It was different in enough other ways that I felt comfortable saying that it was unique enough to register.

Thanks!
    K

• mariava7
    15 years ago

I've seen that picture too in DG. It is grown in the ground in FL together with this guy's other hippies. I knew it reminded me of something...Gordie!!! It has those stripes and spots just like Gordie. He also calls it an "Unknown".

Kristi...Your efforts in having this beautiful hippie registered and given a name should be so worth it. If you BELIEVE in something, STAND for it. I applaud you for that. Not a lot of people now a days have that guts. So what if you make a profit out of Gordie in the future. You deserve that as you worked hard for Gordie. Good Luck and you go girl!

• PRO
    Jan Sword-Rossman Realty 239-470-6061
    15 years ago

Kristi, I think you should be proud of all the work you did to register. I don't see anything wrong with making profit in the future with Gordie either. Email me I'll attach photo to you.

Jan

• jodik_gw
    15 years ago

I can't view the full sized pictures at Dave's Garden, either. I'm not a paid subscriber, and most likely will never be. I'm a dedicated 'GardenWebber'! In fact, my instant message program displays this: "GardenWebbing... Leave Me Alone!"

I agree with Maria... I think Gordie is a very unique heirloom variety, and since it was never officially named, and since Kristi is going through all the work and trouble to make it a named variety, she should have the glory that goes along with it all! I personally think that if she wanted to make a profit from Gordie, that would be her right. Hard work and diligence deserve to be rewarded!

Kristi, you may not be able to claim the credit of creating Gordie, but you certainly can be credited with saving this fabulous variety for future generations, and bringing it into the light of the current generation! Since I live in the north where Amaryllids can't grow as garden heirloom plants, I'd never have known it existed if you hadn't brought it to our attention!

I love the photo album on Gordie! The pictures are wonderful! I've bookmarked it so I can go back and drool any time I want! :-)

In conclusion, I'd like to thank Kristi for her dedication to preserving this fantastic bulb! It's been a wild ride, I'm sure... and it's not over yet! And I don't think Gordie's story is boring, at all!

• pumas
    15 years ago

Kristi buddy you have mail Peace,Mark

• frank27603
    15 years ago

Kristi- Thanks for sharing the story. I knew the bad part about the rot, but not the discovery of the bulb. Wonder if that guy was just throwing it away or even knew it existed? Have you talked to him since? I'm so glad you found it and saved it!

Your efforts and work are all worth it. I also applaud your endeavor and I agree with Maria, you go girl!

-Frank

• mariava7
    15 years ago

Kriti...Inform me when you are ready to sell any of your Gordie production. I would buy at least one, three if you have enough to spare. We spend thousands of $$$$ buying bulbs from outside USA. That's thousands of $$$ going out of our economy. It's time that we buy something "Made in USA". Americans can do it!!! American hybridizers have produced wonderful crosses too BUT produced outside of USA. And we as consumers are paying for the higher end/cost. That is so sad.

Someday, the world will be buying US grown hippies. Holland can do it. South Africa can do it. Japan can do it. India can do it. Isreal can do it. Thailand can do it. Why can't we????

Original Author
    15 years ago

We can do it!! I can wait to see Pat, Cindee, Mark, Jodi, Noni, Frank, Ryan, Maria, Blanca, Chas, Kitty, and all of us with blooms that are more beautiful than anything that is being sold!!

Hey...thank you to the people who sent the photos from Dave's Garden. Unfortunately, neither of them really showed the throat of the bloom. I really wanted to see SPOTS!

Here is a little comparison I made (Gordie's on the bottom row):
    {{gwi:394952}}

Notice that the red on the upper ones goes the the edge, not real distinct stripes, color (maybe because there's more if it) seems darker, and bloom shape is different compared to bloom in upper left. Gordie is really more of a flat bloom (relatively) compared to one in upper right corner...etc, with out the curling back of the petal.

As part of this process I even bought the set of RHS colors to classify the colors on Gordie...and there are distinct differences between it and many others blooms. Even just a shade or 2. These 2 blooms show some similarities, but Gordie blooms consistently year after year to look like this (not like our Lady Janes, eh? :-)

Anyway, they are similar, but Gordie's veining goes all the way to the edge and there really are no areas filled in with any amount of red. Guess you'd say the spacign between veins determines the color (if there was less space it would appear redder). I think Wren, Edric, and I have cousins...and I KNOW Minerva had to had a hand in making Gordie...the color, etc!! Jodi and others will tell you over and over, blooms vary depending on the care and climate...so I think we could ponder this until next year and never come up with an answer. Hippi DNA...we need it now!

K

• jodik_gw
    15 years ago

We also must consider the fact that many heirloom plants are left in gardens to multiply, and are pollinated and crossed by bees and other flying insects... seed pods that are left to ripen and fall in the gardens can become the next generation of bulbs to grow and bloom... and then, of course, we have all the variables of culture, such as the area, the soil, the water, and so on... making the end results of today most probably cousins.

However, with Gordie as the measuring stick, we can at least see the differences, and we now have a name to put to flowers that look very similar. Now, when we see an heirloom Hippeastrum of the same color and pattern, we can say, "Oh, that's H. Gordie! Isn't it beautiful?!"

• elizabeth_jb
    15 years ago

Kristi,

Please forgive me for not having more time than to provide the link. I have to be at school between 6:30am (central time) and 6:45am, so I was running out of time. I didn't want for you to have to keep guessing as to which DG thread/photo...

You had mentioned that perhaps the bulb was no longer established anywhere, and I just wanted to point out the possibility in Florida.

I have seen several photos similar to yours on DG. I don't know that they are one and the same, but I thought I would try to let you know.

Good luck with your venture and please do keep us posted.

How exciting!!!

Ann

• mariava7
    15 years ago

Kristi...Where did you get your RHS color chart? I think it will be a very good tool in my documentations also.

Original Author
    15 years ago

Maria, Go on line and it's not hard to find. I had a friend in England purchase it for me. It was nearly $200 for the full set and $70 for an abbreviated set. Will be much cheaper now that the exchange rate favors the $$.

K

Original Author
    15 years ago

Maria and others,
    Here is the link for the color charts.
    Price for the "mini" set is 25 Pounds, the full set is 170 Pounds. Much better now that the exchange rate is better for the dollar.

Kristi

Here is a link that might be useful: Link to RHS publications

Sponsored
More Discussions