Return to the Amaryllis/Hippeastrum Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Nerines?

Posted by kaboehm 9a (My Page) on
Sat, Mar 16, 13 at 20:51

Royal Colors has posted many varieties of nerines for sale. Does anyone have experience with them? I think they are very pretty!

K

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Nerines?

Experience with Nerines or Royal Colors? I've got several Nerine, but they are all species rather than hybrids. I've never dealt with RC :o) Dan

o

Sorry Dan...I was asking about Nerines. Do you think they'd be similar to our H. hybrids as far as care?
K

o

I grow some in pots just like the hipps. A little more sun maybe. I posted a pic back in Oct. if you want to check it out.
The SAR are growing great!
Mike

o

Mike,

I'll have to find your post. The price seems reasonable, but I'll shop around.

Glad the SAR are doing well; they stay pretty small but offset like mad!! Your special Pap cross seedlings are thriving too! Nice stripe up the back of the leaf!

Thanks for the swap!

K

o

Hi Kristi,

Check out PBS. There is an in depth discussion on Nerine culture. They don't grow the quite same as Hippeastrum but some of their hybrids might be well suited for outdoor growing in your climate. I have a bunch of them growing in pots but they can be rather fussy as far as blooming goes.

Warm Regards,
Fred

o

Thanks Fred! They are so pretty, but to be honest, I'd never seen these before.

Species seeds are sprouting like mad. Guess I need to focus on them for now...
Kristi

o

Just saw this again. The hybrid Nerine should do very well for you I would think. The species I grow can be tough to flower here in zone 6 because they naturally flower very late in the fall after we have had many frosts. By far the easiest species Nerine to grow is N. krigei.....it blooms late summer here in zone 6 (Aug) and every year I have hundreds of blooms from my pots of them that I have had for many years now. I gave away thousands of seed to various people (some on here for sure) but I have no idea how they have done for others......the seed germinate just sitting in a dish and then you can pot them.....like Crinum in that regard. I would think they would do great in zone 9a if I can grow them in pots up here in Pittsburgh......you should try a few :o) Dan

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Amaryllis/Hippeastrum Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here