Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
houstonpat

Griffinia & Lima in bloom

houstonpat
16 years ago

I was given a small Griffinia (Amaryllid) from a Florida show. I'm presently growing it indoors under lights, but will move outside in a month or so. Small blooms but nice color.

{{gwi:395278}}

{{gwi:395279}}

For me Lima is the first to bloom each year. It is presently in bloom outdoors.

{{gwi:395280}}

{{gwi:395281}}

Comments (15)

• salpal
    16 years ago

Very, very pretty. Thanks for the pics, you are lucky to grow Lima outside!

• lora_in
    16 years ago

Thank you for the lovely photos Houstonpat!
    We got 5 inches of snow last night & it's headed for a low of 9F :( I dream of growing outside year round.
    Your Griffinia looks a lot like mine, is the leaf solid green ? And, would you be interested in swapping pollen in the future? Lora

• jodik_gw
    16 years ago

Gorgeous, HoustonPat, just gorgeous! I love the blue of the Griffinia, almost a violet in color... and so delicate looking! It's a wonderful plant! I hope to grow one someday!

And your Lima is extremely nice! Lovely shape and coloration! Thank you for sharing!

• haweha
    16 years ago

Thank you for introducing Griffinia here, HoustonPat! I wonder about the shape of its stigma...

Lima shows off superior performance - in fact I believe that it is still the best commercial cybister cross which is or has at least the appearance of a primary crossbreeding result between H.papilio and H.cybister.

• bluebonsai101
    16 years ago

Glad to see someone else posting a lovely Griffinia here!! My latest batch I got from Brasil are just starting to produce some spikes (one may be blooming in a day or two I imagine) so I will be excited to see them. I just love these little jewels and they are so easy to grow :o)

Some day I want to get myself a cybister......I bought one last year and it turned out it was mislabeled......threw it over the hill and got disgusted so have not tried to get another one since. Your hybrid also looks nice.....not sure they would survive outside here though :o) Dan

• houstonpat
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks ya'll for the nice comments. I'm always game to trade pollen lora. Dan, it's my understanding that the best cybister is 'Chico', unfortunately when I got mine I held it in the refrigerator at too low temp and turned it to mush. I took cuttage from the remenants and have about 10 small bulbs about 1" dia.

• txstar56
    15 years ago

I am interested in cuttage. On 10/16/08 I divided a bulb, sprinkled cinnamon over the slices and placed them all in a pot with seed starter soil, covered the top with saran wrap,and place pot in darken area. It's about 90 degrees here.
    1. Does the pot need to be covered here in Houston?
    2. Should the pot be placed in dark area?

• brigarif Khan
    15 years ago

Griffinia fascinates me is it a true hippeastrum. Its cross breeding should be interesting.

• kaboehm (zone 9a, TX USA)
    15 years ago

Txstar,
    I am doing my first cuttage here in Houston. Read's book and all I could find on the net recommended a temperature of 77 and keeping them in the dark. I currently have 18 6-week old bulblets from some chips. I am growing them in vermiculite in ziplock baggies and storing them in a cardboard box. I sneak a peek every 3 days. There are plenty of articles. I hope your seed soil isn't too moist. Sounds like your method was simplified. Hope it works for you. I soaked my bulb chips in a systemic fungicide prior to placing them in bags. You should see signs of bulblets in a couple of week...2-3 weeks really! Keep us posted!
    K

• bluebonsai101
    15 years ago

Just to clarify....Griffinia is not a Hippeastrum, it is a Griffinia....both in the Amaryllid family, but that is about it :o) Dan

• houstonpat
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Howdy y'all
    Kristi's right. Read's book is a good primer for doing cuttage or twin scale.
    Thank's for replying to ARIF Dan. One thing surprised me about Griffinia is that it periodically bloomed through the summer. However, my plant doesn't seem to be a particularly strong grower. I have it potted in a loose mixure of expanded shale, and long fiber sphagnum moss in a clay pot. About 50% shade. frequent watering but excellent drainage. Have any tips Dan??

• soultan
    15 years ago

{{gwi:395282}}
    Lima

• jodik_gw
    15 years ago

Ooh! Very beautiful, Soultan! Good to see you posting... you're not here nearly enough lately!

• houstonpat
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Good lookin Lima.

• taz56
    15 years ago

love the purple! pretty!
    Susan

Sponsored
More Discussions