Return to the Amaryllis/Hippeastrum Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
ID please

Posted by wastequest (My Page) on
Fri, Mar 25, 11 at 21:27

I bought these amaryllis a couple months ago but most of them were not labelled. Would you please ID them for me. I am doing some crossing so I want to know the names for record.
This one was supposed to be Gervase, but obviously it's not
Photobucket
The rest I have no idea:
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: ID please

2 is most likely red nymph
3 is red lion (the white tips on the petals are a give away!)
5 is stressed out minerva

but honestly, unless you get clones from a reputable distributor, you can never be sure.

1 and 4 are very nice. Cruise around Emaryllis.com to see if you can find them!
Kristi

o

I think # 1 is Flamenco Queen..and I'm thinking your # 4 could be a mostly pink Gervase..going mostly by the red filaments what do the rest of you think...

Donna

o
RE: ID please..

I think I'm wrong about # 4 being Gervase..I think it is Purple Rain. Purple Rain has the same red-rose filaments and the petals are more rounded than Gervase's. Purple Rain was sold by White Flower Farm and I just looked at a picture of it in their catalogue and I'm pretty sure that's what it is.

Donna

o

My guesses are 1 is flamenco queen, 2 is fanfare 3 is in my opinion Rosalie and 4 is for sure minerva.

o

1. Flamenco Queen
2. Red Peacock
3. Rapido *Possibly, Reds Are Difficult To I.D. But It's Too Red To Be "Red Lion" in my opinion, "RL" is more orange.

4. Purple Rain
5. Minerva

I'm pretty sure #3 is 'Rapido', do you know what you bought it as or where you got it? Can you tell us the size of the flower?

Josh

o

I don't think # 2 is Red Peacock based on the fact that mine has and had a much larger flower I mean huge with many many more petals..# 3 looks rather small. The orangey red is consistent with the color of Red Peacock, but I think still think it's something else..but I don't know what....Just my opinion of course...

Donna

o

I'm not too good with doubles :( The only other red one I know of is 'FanFare' which I'm sure this isn't *posting pic of mine below for reference* I wish I had taken pictures of my 'Rapido' this year, it was a smaller flower on a dark stalk with the same coloring via filaments and the very dark heart.

'Red Lion' usually has lighter scapes if I'm correct? I'm not entirely sure tho!

Hippeastrum

o

#2 is Double Delight or a very good carbon copy of it. I agree with Donna, Red Peacock is MUCH larger. I had to stake my Red Peacock scapes this year because the flowers were so heavy. Double Delight is about half the size. I got 3 Double Delights this year that were supposed to be Benfica. How anyone could make that mistake is beyond me.

Jim

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Amaryllis/Hippeastrum Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here