Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kato_b

Some flower show pictures

katob Z6ish, NE Pa
11 years ago

Normally just a lurker but wanted to put up these pictures from the philladelphia flower show. Not a huge selection but there are two special ones you gotta see ;)

Here are a couple cybisters (sp?) and a hefty fairytale (first special one)

Comments (15)

• katob Z6ish, NE Pa
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Here are a couple more, most of the center ones are Gervase, I really liked the almost purple-ish look to the flowers (maybe it was just me) but the color seemed to stand out, plus the random red splashes were interesting.... I bet this is all old news to forum members, but it's the first time I ever saw this one in bloom.

• katob Z6ish, NE Pa
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Here's the other one I thought was amazing. Maybe it's no big deal in climates where they grow outdoors, but in chilly Pennsylvania it's something to brag about.
    btw the exibitor of this one recently donated 1million for a new plant display area at the show, so I suspect there may be several greenhouses involved and possibly a greenhouse manager.... but still extremely impressive!
    (Fairytale on the left, Pamela on the right)

• jstropic (10a)
    11 years ago

Kato,

These pictures are gorgeous! Thanks so much for sharing. I grow outdoors mostly and don't have any single pot with a display like that - so I'm impressed too!
    Hmmmm - something to think about lol

-J

• HU-17497
    11 years ago

I can't wait until my flower beds look like that.

• kaboehm (zone 9a, TX USA)
    11 years ago

Gervase is one if my favorites. I never know from one bloom to the next what spash of color I'll get. Thanks for sharing.
    K

• dondeldux z6b South Shore Massachusetts
    11 years ago

Kato those pictures are amazing! Thanks so much for posting them!
    Gervase is a favorite of just about everyone who grows one and we never tire of seeing pictures of this unique and beautiful flower. I've never seen such displays in one pot as Pamela and Fairy Tale. I have 2 Fairy Tales and If I lived to be 100 they would never come close to that display. I wonder how they do it? My Fairy Tale doesn't seem to offset so just how many bulbs could they fit in that pot!!
    Again, thanks for posting!...Donna

• lenanen
    11 years ago

Great photos, thank you for sharing!
    'Pamela' is astonishing, want one!!

• katob Z6ish, NE Pa
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I really like the full pot look too. Several years ago all I wanted for my birthday were three oversized bulbs all the same color to put in one pot together. My mom came through and it was an amazing sight. There were at least two stalks per bulb all open at once.... but then bulb flies hit during the summer and I lost two of the bulbs... and then the last one the year after... grrrrrr.
    Thanks for all the nice comments, I knew this was the right place for posting!

• brigarif Khan
    11 years ago

Full pot, grown in the pot? or grown in ground and assembled in pot for display?

• bluebonsai101
    11 years ago

I would love to go there sometime, but never make it across the state....sort of sad really, especially when you can see such lovely flowers :o) Dan

• kaboehm (zone 9a, TX USA)
    11 years ago

I just visited a home today that had a large potful of H. Giraffe. There must have been 20 scapes and all were nearly the same height and blooming. Quite beautiful. I wondered the same thing about the pots at the plant show, Arif...Since the grower would only want the most perfect blooms on display for the show, I'm guessing it was assembled, but that's just my guess. No matter what it's very impressive!
    K

11 years ago

My guess is that they were all growing in one pot. If they had been assembled in one pot there would hardly have been enough room for the roots of 2 plants let alone the number that is in that pot of Pamelas and, disturbing the roots like that would have left the flowers not performing their best which they appear to be doing.

My reasoning is that they have multiple single pots of Gervase so why wouldn't they have done the same for them?

Again, this is just my opinion and however they did, it they were stunning...Donna

• monarda_gw
    11 years ago

Did anyone notice the puny giraffe in the upper right corner? What a comedown for this once-glorious cultivar. I think they all must have declined. Mine did.

11 years ago

Monarda,

I noticed the small Giraffe too. I have a single Giraffe that has filled it's pot with offsets but alas, no flowers for two years now. Mine is with about 20 plants that have the best seat in the house too.

On the other hand if you search Houstonpat's Giraffe you will see a pot full of blooming flowers, so it can be done, but I think they are particularly particular!

Donna

Here is the link:

There is also a photo by haweha (that I couldn' locate) with an enviable pot full of Giraffes...

Here is a link that might be useful: Houstonpat's Giraffe

• monarda_gw
    11 years ago

Oh, oh, oh, how I wish I had known about this several years ago - before it was TOO LATE!

I did scrape off all the rot and plant mine in almost pure gravel. But didn't use captan or lots of water and fertilizer. I have one small bulb left that hasn't done anything and may not even be Giraffe. So much time has gone by. This will teach me to use labels.

Sponsored
Native Plant Scapes
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
Your Friendly Native Plant Landscape Designers in Loudoun County