Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lavatea

new to bulbs

lavatea
13 years ago

I really love tulips, and I've recently acquired a major interest in bulb plants of all kinds.

It seems many of you have good luck with amaryllis in pots indoors, which seems perfect for me because I'm an apartment dweller. I can plant outdoors in my parents' yard, but I'd love some bulbs here at my own home.

Is there a particular variety that does best indoors?

I currently have 3 peace lilies, some type of what I'd guess is a grass, 1 kalonchoe, 2 orchids, and a pot of pink sorrel that I just dug up and potted from my parents' yard. The 3 aroids are doing OK. The grass(?) plant is doing well. The kalonchoe had to be moved and trimmed up, and it's touch and go at this point. The orchids are new to me, and seem to be doing fine so far. And the sorrel just got potted up yesterday so it's anyone's guess right now.

I have also grown gesneriads in the past (several episcias, several african violets, and a few of their lesser known cousins). And I once started to root a plumeria. It leafed a bit then quit on me.

I would say I'm more of an under water-er than an over water-er. Though my kalonchoe always fakes me out and doesn't need water when I think it will. And the aroids can't seem to make up their minds. One week I'll have to water them several times a week, then the next week one watering will last and last.

Anyway, I tried to grow some Paperwhites I bought at Target, but they just got really leggy and never bloomed. They had a little sack that I thought was the bloom, but it just never opened up. They're outside now, still in the little wicker pot thing. I'm thinking of storing them and trying to force them at some point. Next year? This fall? I don't know.

Do you think I will do OK with amaryllis? They are so beautiful, and I'd love some more flowers around here. I'm not a big fan of the bloom thing the peace lilies put off, so my orchids are the only flowers I've got at the moment.

What are your thoughts on forcing bulbs? Can that be done year-round? Also, what does it mean to keep an amaryllis evergreen?

Comments (3)

Sponsored
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators in Franklin County
More Discussions