Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
aveo5

Repotting Papilio Bulbs,And Growing Them...

aveo5
13 years ago

Hi Again,

Well I have 3 pots full of Papilio bulbs, 2 pots that bloom every year,usually this month, but so far only 1 bulb has bloomed in one pot,the biggest bulb, the other big bulb pot didnt/hasnt bloomed yet. The smaller bulbs haven't bloomed yet, still growing.

Since the biggest one has like 3-4 medium sized bulblets growing up around it and pushing up and out of the soil. I think needs repotting, all the bulbs are coming up out of the pot,to much is showing I think. I would like to put them all in one really big blub pan,or re-pot them into the same pots, and lower them some, or divide them, and start another pot full of bulbs. I think I could take the small bulbs off, start a new pot, and put the big bulbs back into the soil,lower down. Now,I am in south Fla. and I think this amaryllis is suppose to have 1/3-1/2 of the bulb out of the soil,but now they are like 80% out of the soil and leaning over. The one that bloomed, is really leaning. How far down should I plant them? Should I trim back the foliage at all? Or leave them alone?

I have re-potted these bulbs before, a few years ago, so I did it right, but I don't recall if I buried them to where the leaves come out, or leave 1/2 of the bulb out of the soil? I certainly dont want to loose any Papilio bulbs! HINTS?

These are growing in the full sun of South Fla. Thats a lot of sun, and in the summer, it is ungodly hot, yet they grow and at the end of winter, the beginning of spring, they bloom. BUT this year, I only got 1 bloom stalk and it was very short, about 6in, not a foot tall with big open bloom,they were only half opened. I think I should move them into some shade, during the intense summer heat, but they are doing so well, in the same spot for over 5 years and grow great and bloom right on time, except this year, just got a few less blooms than usual.

Have I just been lucky, or am I risking loosing them to the heat/sun? They get the afternoon sun, the hottest part of the day, for like 4 hours,but they are growing and blooming for years. so,should I repot them,and once they recover,put them back in the same place, or put them in some more shade?

Sponsored
More Discussions