Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
brigarif

Breeding apple blossom

brigarif Khan
18 years ago

Hi

My Apple blossom has rejected pollination by what ever I had to offer.Selffing was also rejected.While others have accepted its pollen.Is its ovary sterrile.

ARIF

Comments (45)

• haweha
    18 years ago

That is what I experienced too, consistently.

• lora_in
    18 years ago

Hi Arif,
    Yes,it is frustrating to work with Appleblossom. It think there is great potential locked up in it's genetics. If you want to try again,look for an older white or maybe your vittaum looking flower. The very few seed I have set on it are from an old type white that shows tiny tips of faded magenta. I think it is a vittaum hybrid.
    On a positive note,I harvested a huge pod of Pink Floyd X Appleblossom last night.Out of 99 seeds,47 had embryos and were planted. The remaining 52 looked fully formed but contained no embryo :( I am hoping the offspring will carry that lovely scent. And pehaps the Pink Floyd influence will bring the size down and restore a bit of the character that some of the large flowers have lost. Lora

• mariava7
    18 years ago

Lora...lora...lora...where have you been? I missed you!

• lora_in
    18 years ago

Hi Maria,
    We've been either without power or cleaning up storm damage from the tornadoes on the 31st. Cobbled together a temporary roof for the greenhouse and patched up the house roof pretty well. Major repairs will wait till the spring plowing is done. Nobody got hurt (in our household) and our damage is quite minor compared to many.
    I'm catching up on things like laundry between trips to the computer,it's sooooo good to be back online! Lora

• mariava7
    18 years ago

OMG Lora...Thank God you and your family are alright! Welcome back!!!

• Carol love_the_yard (Zone 9A Jacksonville, FL)
    18 years ago

Oh Lora, I bet those are going to be a gorgeous shade of pink. I you end up with any extra seeds, or even just some self-Pink Floyd, I would die for one. I have several shades of pink, but no Pink Floyd. Just purchased some Hercules and they are some of the best-looking bulbs I have ever seen. Hoping to get some seeds out of them! I would be willing to trade if you have any interest.

Carol

18 years ago

Saw Appleblossom seeds for sale on Ebay. If Appleblossom's ovary is sterile, does this mean the seeds are actually a cross?

Here is a link that might be useful: Apple Blossom Seeds on Ebay

• haweha
    18 years ago

5 seeds for 5$
    That is poppycock-balderdash.

Nevertheless; thank you, love the yards:

I have suddenly one particular vision howe to make some extra money...

Hans-Werner

• brigarif Khan
    Original Author
    18 years ago

An other scape is in bloom let us see if it concieves.
    ARIF

• lora_in
    18 years ago

Hi Hans-Werner,
    Oh yes,there are some veeeery interesting seeds on that persons auctions and I note that they have Minerva seeds listed the same way :O I did sell a few seeds a week or 2 back and I can assure you they wont get the asking price. Ebay is very much a "buyer beware" situation. There are very good sellers and very poor ones too.
    Hi love the yard,
    This is the first time I've made that cross so I have no idea how the germination rate will go. I've planted all the seed so I can give it an honest judgement.
    I wish you the best of luck with Herculese,it has been both pod & pollen sterile for me. I've tried 27 combinations with it and not a single seed set. That dosn't mean it's sterile for sure,maybe the right partner hasn't been found yet. Lora

• bigoledude
    18 years ago

Boy, do I feel stupid! I bought some of those seeds. I hate to accuse anyone of dishonesty. Is it possible that these people have some Apple Blossoms that are fertile?

My objective is to have enough plants started so I can at least partially fill my gardens when the government gets around to telling me whether I can live at my present location or that I must move to higher ground.

I must sound like the most gullible person in the world but, in my desperation, I honestly thought these folks had isolated a strain of fertile AB!

18 years ago

Lora - thanks for the heads-up on Hercules! It's disappointing news, but you have saved me considerable time and frustration and so I thank you! Carol

• cindeea
    18 years ago

Hi folks. I have been lurking around this forum quite some time. This 'Apple Blossom' thread has me curious and I seek your expertise. I have an Apple Blossom that bloomed beautifully last year. At least it was Labled AB. I have a pic of it below. I am interested because you all are saying that AB is sterile, yet this particular plant produced tons of seeds for me last spring. Is the plant mis-named? Thanks in advance for your input.

Here is a link that might be useful: Apple Blossom?

• tokyomafia
    18 years ago

Cindeea, that looks like a Minerva. I have a bunch of those from Lowes clearance from after Christmas sales. I personally think they're awesome with the red veining on white background.

• cindeea
    18 years ago

Tony-I think you are correct!! Someone on the Florida forum suggested they look more like Minerva, too. But I wanted the experts to decide. Guess they were mis-marked. They are very pretty anyway, and I should have an abundance of them once the lil seedlings take off. It bloomed again this spring and has another unopened bud. I should have more seeds than I need once they pop. Thanks again! Just thought I'd also share a picotee photo with you while I am here. I was tickled when it bloomed last month.

Here is a link that might be useful: Picotee

• haweha
    18 years ago

I am not so familiar with these Doubles I assume this is something like "Double Picotee".

"Minerva" is a diligent seed producer when pollinated with its own pollen or that from other "common" knight star lilies which are tetraploids; like Appleblossom, Red Lion, Orange Sovereign and so on.
    Cindeea: Your photo shows definitely one "Minerva".

• cindeea
    18 years ago

Oh My-Hans, I am honored with your commentary. Your expertise is amazing to this lurking novice. Double Picotee?, it is an abunduntant producer. At bloom time, I have Red Lions blooming as well so maybe they will get their pollen together? I am not as dilligent as most of you, I grow many flowers with minimal use of my back and legs. I just know I love these bulbs and am going to enjoy them for many years.

tokyomafia-So sorry for the misnomer 'tony', my eyes decieved me. But I am thankful for your help in the Minerva ID!!

Be well and happy everyone! Thanks for letting me finally speak up.

• tokyomafia
    18 years ago

cindeea, that's an pretty double. could be an aphrodite which are high on my list as a next aquisition.

• brigarif Khan
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Hi
    tokyomafia
    You are right.

• cindeea
    18 years ago

tokyomafia - the coloration on the picotee is definitely dark red, not pink as the aphrodite suggests. Still, it came from the same source as the mis labeled Minerva! It is my favorite.

• kitha1215
    18 years ago

I think AppleBlossom is just a good idea gone bad. I had it planted in the ground and mine grew completely deformed; like it was a dwarf or something, and I know that's not what I bought. I just pulled it out and threw it. They're very funny. I have seen a gorgeous one though, however, I don't care to try to grow that one again.

• windyrr2
    18 years ago

Hi,
    I have an amaryllis given to me last year in a plant swap.
    I was told it was Apple Blossom, and it looked like one when it bloomed a couple weeks ago. A lady on a plant swap group recently told us to "make like a bee" and pollimate amarylllis. I did and all my amaryllis, Over a dozen including the apple blossoms have seed pods growing. My son took a picture of it and as soon as he uploads it, I'll include a link. Possibly it isn't an actual Apple Blossom, but it matches all pictures I've seen of Apple Blossoms. Does that mean the seeds it's putting out might be sterile?
    Cheryl

• haweha
    18 years ago

No, Cheryl:

It is not a dogma - but the experience of ummh... several people that Appleblossom does not seed, neither following self pollination nor after having received the pollen from other tetraploid amaryllis hybrids.

If you finally ARE fortunate in obtaining seeds from this cultivar, then you have to judge about the quality - the viability of these seeds and discriminate carefully viable seeds from "chaff".

This decision must be performed examinating the fresh seeds. Viable seeds are somewhat "plump" and contain an embryo similarly shaped like the little eadible pip of a sunflower.
    However, the embryos will dry up rather fast and then the discrimination between intact seed and "chaff" will become far more difficult, if not impossible.

Hans-Werner

• brigarif Khan
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Hello
    One pod on second scape of APPLE BLOSSOM is still holding though not fattening up like others.
    Two pods of my SATIN RED /APPLE BLOSSOM yielded 120 healthy seeds and were planted yesterday.
    ARIF

17 years ago

Another snake oil salesman?

Here is a link that might be useful: 25+ Seeds Apple Blossom on eBay

• brigarif Khan
    Original Author
    17 years ago

He harvested the seeds this week and planted 10 seeds and all have sprouted.
    These must be majic seeds.

• mariava7
    17 years ago

Hey,,,that's faster than my bean seeds...lol!

• windyrr2
    17 years ago

Follow up.

I purchsed the apple blossom seeds from Blizzard of goodies on ebay.I bought two sets. The person took forever to send them. I had to contact ebay to get them. They never germinated.
    When I posted neg feedback, they posted neg feedback for me saying my check had bounced and ebay had been notifed of my NSF.( My check never bounced).
    Then the person begin to get a dozen negative feedbacks for not sending people their goods they had won. They sold other items like antique dinner ware etc. Fish aquarium outfits that cost the winning bidder $ 150.00 etc.
    Whenever someone posted the seller bad feedback about not getting their aution win, the seller retaliated in her feedback by saying their check had bounced, even when they had paid by credit card or money order.
    When someone threatened in their feedback to report it to the sellers local police dept, the person said, "Oh, I am SO scared."!
    Before they took off or were booted off ebay, they went private so no one else could read the negative feedbacks.
    So, it really is buyer beware when buying from ebay.

• beetle_2007
    16 years ago

From what I'm hearing,I was real fortunate to get this bulb from our local hardware store! Had this Appleblossum? for six years,it had seeds once for me. I have one 2 year old bulb from the seeds. I guess time will tell, if it blooms or not lol! She has the most beautiful scent, and is the only bulb I have with any perfume.

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:397356}}

• hopflower
    16 years ago

How lovely, beetle. I did not know Apple Blossom had a scent! I will look out for it when mine blossoms. That is a stunning picure, though. I hope mine looks as good. )

• soultan
    16 years ago

Beetle,

That indeed looks like an Apple Blossom. If it sets seeds for you, you are very fortunate. Did you self pollinate or crossed it with something?

• cindeea
    16 years ago

Beetle, beautiful flower. You look new to the Amaryllis forum, so I just thought I would throw out the welcome mat and say...Glad you are joining us! I have a Apple Blossom with a large offset. I am hoping the mama will bloom for me this year. I love fragrance so that will be a real plus!

• beetle_2007
    16 years ago

This is a real friendly forum!! Thanks for the replys [and the reasureance that this is Apple Blossum!!] I'm sure your bloom will be very beautiful hopflower!Please post pics when she blooms? In answer to your question, soultan, I pollinated it with it's own pollen. The seedling [more a small bulb now, is two years old. Hopefully in anouther year or so, i'll find out if its like the parent. cindeea, I really hope your offset does well, and when your mama, blooms your going to love the suptle scent!! [hope so lol] BFN, I'm off to the basement to grab a photo of the AB baby.

• soultan
    16 years ago

Wow Beetle,

Even stranger. It took its own pollen. It is like an Apple Blossom from outer space.

• beetle_2007
    16 years ago

Thats what I'll call it when it has its first bloom! LOL!!

• soultan
    16 years ago

Don't forget to make some pictures. I have never seen UFO amaryllis before.

• beetle_2007
    16 years ago

Hi soultan, i have a question. When do you think UFO will bloom? The bulb is'nt very big for two years old. I am feeding it weak fertilizer every watering [once a week] and not resting it. Just wondered if I had a long, long wait. Later, today I will post a pic[s] of the bulb. Thanks in advance,

• beetle_2007
    16 years ago

Oh what the heck, here it is...believe it, or not!!

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:397357}}

• soultan
    16 years ago

This bulb looks quite small. I wouldn't expect UFO to bloom for you this year. Maybe, you could try to plant it in a bigger container with more space to expand? Of if you have the opportunity to safely plant out, you can try that too. My bulbs are amazing outside... They have never been so happy.

• beetle_2007
    16 years ago

Thanks soultan!! I'm going to try a slightly bigger container,that sounds like what it needs! i'll bet your bulbs are just lovely!! do you have pics of them? Have a great evening and thanks again for the real good advice!

• cindeea
    16 years ago

beetle, is that the offspring you created?? The UFO? WOW that is the same size as my bulblet and mom plant. Amazing! I have yet to plant an AB that has bloomed. The new ones in my circular bed seem to concentrate in sending out more babies than blooming.

• soultan
    16 years ago

I might go out tomorrow and make a few more pictures of the amaryllis bed to show the bubls. Though they kind of pulled themselves down into the ground. There are some that only have the neck sticking out... My favorite is the Red Nymph that pushes its neighbors out of the line now, it became so huge. I bought it in Smith & Hawkens last year.

• John Spagnoli
    10 years ago

Whats the final word on Apple Blossom fertility. Can it be a seed parent or should i just use the pollen.

• oleg9grower
    10 years ago

My question is why many hybridizers so stubbornly trying to get seeds from the Appleblossom as a seed parent? If the smell was caused by mitochondrial DNA - then yes! But if the smell is caused by nuclear DNA genes, whereas no difference.

• brigarif Khan
    Original Author
    10 years ago

It is of no interest to me any more.
    Arif

Sponsored
Emily Rudolph Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars25 Reviews
Hands-On & Collaborative Columbus Interior Designer
More Discussions