Return to the Amaryllis/Hippeastrum Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Yellow Amaryllis

Posted by brigarif Lahore Pakistan (My Page) on
Sat, Apr 3, 10 at 0:49

Which is yellowiest of all yellow Amaryllis?
Please post photos of your yellow Amaryllis.

Arif

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Yellow Amaryllis

For you ARIF...

My "Top 3 Yellows" in the Hippeastrum Collection.

HELIOS
Helios

GOLDEN VILLAGE
Golden Villag

PIYO-PIYO
Piyo-piyo

Others are lighter yellow (cream yellow) or are more of yellow green.

o

• Posted by dancacti Melbourne, Aust zn10 (My Page) on
    Sat, Apr 3, 10 at 7:48

wow, this is awesome - I wasn't aware that such pure yellows existed

o

Thank you Mariava, or is it Maria
I am completely bewitched. I Would like to contact you directly. Can I have your E.Mail address and telephone No.
Arif

o

Purest yellow is Kliber but despite hectic efforts I could not get hold of it.

Kliber,Hippeastrum

o

Hi Arif!

I just sent you an email.

I just did updated my Yellow Hippeastum album. The varieties I posted here are what I think are really yellows. They could be cream yellow and true yellow. I did not include pics of the yellow green ones in this album.

Sighhhh...So many things to do and so little time.

Enjoy!!!

Here is a link that might be useful: Yellow Hippeastrums

o

Thanks Maria, these pictures are wonderfull, I also didn't know that such clear yellow colours existed within the Hippeastrum genus. Are these offsprings of yellow species?

o

Yes they are Carl. These are hybrids with possibly one or both the parents or grandparents being one of the yellow species.

o

Maria, all those are so beautiful!!!

o

Maria, those are lovely! What wonderful crosses have you tried with them?

Alana

o

Hello Maria,
At 77 I had brought my Amaryllis programme, almost to a halt. Your albums have infused me with a new inspiration. I have started a re-organising programme. Now my first priority is to get hold of some real yellows.
Sarmad saeed, Include me in your search for Kilber.

o

Oooooh Maria, Maganda AmarilyosPhotobucket

o

Those are beautiful!! I am envious, I don't have any yellows!!!

o

• Posted by dancacti Melbourne, Aust zn10 (My Page) on
    Mon, Apr 5, 10 at 21:23

Hi Maria, again very nice.

What made you want to collect yellows? Are you trying to get a better colour yellow with targeted breeding or do you just like yellow?

Dan

o

Hi,
Last year Maria sent me about a dozen seeds in an envelope; I was delighted I sowed them immediately. Although it had become rather hot, to my surprise 10 sprouted and seedlings are doing well.
Maria; I would be grateful if you send me more seeds of your yellows (a request in advance).
Arif

o

Oh. My. Gosh! Where in earth does one find seed or bulb of these beauties? How I would like to grow some of them!

o

Dan...Most true yellows are small flowered. They are very pretty with dainty blooms. I am trying to work on them and hopefully produce a bigger flowered yellow someday.

ARIF...Am glad that your seeds have germinated well. I am not surprised that they did in your hot weather. Most yellows are warm temp. growers. They take a looooong winter sleep and only wake up once the temps are warm enough. Usually that would be late spring/early summer here in my growing area.

Will take note of your request. Yellows are very hard to breed. They are very very picky with their partners. If they do accept pollens, they only produce so much seeds. Their pollens are also not readily accepted by others. My pollination attempts last season had like 80-90% failures. These are mostly attempts of crossing them with other yellows and not selfed. I find it useless to self them as my aim was to produce bigger flowered yellows or improve on the intensity of the yellow color.

A pretty frilled petaled yellow. Enjoy!!!
Photobucket

o

Hi Maria
On the right is the pot of your seedlings besides pot of my miniature yellows. You are right last year their selfing and inter crossing was a failure.
Photobucket
Arif

o

Maria, God bless you.
I have waited a long time for this years pictures of your YELLOWs.May be I missed them.Post pictures or refer me to the post if already submitted.
Arif

o

Arif,

How are your yellows? I'd love to see them :)

o

The 11 seedlings as today, they made good recovery after damage by the hailstorm.

From Misc 2011

o

Once I had a miniature yellow hippeastrum, from the forum I learnt it has mosaic virus. I was advised to destroy it, which I did and lament even today. The progeny having the same leave markings is with me for the last 7 years.
My dear Departed.

Arif

o

I understand that there are No yellow amarylis in commerciual production if there were I would have one :>(((
Jack

o

Jack.., what about all the yellows currently being offered by Komoriya on eBay? Look at the photos posted under the Komoriya heading and see what you think. Guess it depends how deep a yellow you want. There are other readily available yellows...Lemon Star, H. Evansae, and others.
K

o

I am led to understand by a reputable company that sells Amarylis that there are no yellow amarylis in commerc ial production, Thats all I can say, wish there were. Jack

o

ARIF...How time flies! Great to see your seedlings growing so good and hope they flower for you soon. Hopefully they'll have yellow flowers too!

All of my yellow amaryllis are bought from commercially produced stocks. To see is to believe I guess... :-)

You all have a good week ahead!!!

This post was edited by mariava7 on Sun, May 26, 13 at 23:10

o

Love your yellow blooms Maria! I am excited that my Komoriya blooms are such little gems.
K

o

Thanks Kristi! Give your Komoriya bulbs lots of TLC and learn how they would thrive in your growing practises and conditions. These varieties are bred for their "unique" flowers and not for vigor and performance like the Dutch varieties.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Amaryllis/Hippeastrum Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here