Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
brigarif

Yellow Amaryllis

brigarif Khan
14 years ago

Which is yellowiest of all yellow Amaryllis?

Please post photos of your yellow Amaryllis.

Arif

Comments (39)

• mariava7
    14 years ago

For you ARIF...

My "Top 3 Yellows" in the Hippeastrum Collection.

HELIOS
    {{gwi:397421}}

GOLDEN VILLAGE
    {{gwi:397422}}

PIYO-PIYO
    {{gwi:397423}}

Others are lighter yellow (cream yellow) or are more of yellow green.

• dancacti
    14 years ago

wow, this is awesome - I wasn't aware that such pure yellows existed

• brigarif Khan
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thank you Mariava, or is it Maria
    I am completely bewitched. I Would like to contact you directly. Can I have your E.Mail address and telephone No.
    Arif

• sarmadsaeed
    14 years ago

Purest yellow is Kliber but despite hectic efforts I could not get hold of it.

{{gwi:397424}}

• mariava7
    14 years ago

Hi Arif!

I just sent you an email.

I just did updated my Yellow Hippeastum album. The varieties I posted here are what I think are really yellows. They could be cream yellow and true yellow. I did not include pics of the yellow green ones in this album.

Sighhhh...So many things to do and so little time.

Enjoy!!!

Here is a link that might be useful: Yellow Hippeastrums

• Carl
    14 years ago

Thanks Maria, these pictures are wonderfull, I also didn't know that such clear yellow colours existed within the Hippeastrum genus. Are these offsprings of yellow species?

• mariava7
    14 years ago

Yes they are Carl. These are hybrids with possibly one or both the parents or grandparents being one of the yellow species.

• PRO
    Jan Sword-Rossman Realty 239-470-6061
    14 years ago

Maria, all those are so beautiful!!!

• e36yellowm3
    14 years ago

Maria, those are lovely! What wonderful crosses have you tried with them?

Alana

• brigarif Khan
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hello Maria,
    At 77 I had brought my Amaryllis programme, almost to a halt. Your albums have infused me with a new inspiration. I have started a re-organising programme. Now my first priority is to get hold of some real yellows.
    Sarmad saeed, Include me in your search for Kilber.

• blancawing
    14 years ago

Oooooh Maria, Maganda Amarilyos

• rene09
    14 years ago

Those are beautiful!! I am envious, I don't have any yellows!!!

• dancacti
    14 years ago

Hi Maria, again very nice.

What made you want to collect yellows? Are you trying to get a better colour yellow with targeted breeding or do you just like yellow?

Dan

• brigarif Khan
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hi,
    Last year Maria sent me about a dozen seeds in an envelope; I was delighted I sowed them immediately. Although it had become rather hot, to my surprise 10 sprouted and seedlings are doing well.
    Maria; I would be grateful if you send me more seeds of your yellows (a request in advance).
    Arif

• Noni Morrison
    13 years ago

Oh. My. Gosh! Where in earth does one find seed or bulb of these beauties? How I would like to grow some of them!

• mariava7
    13 years ago

Dan...Most true yellows are small flowered. They are very pretty with dainty blooms. I am trying to work on them and hopefully produce a bigger flowered yellow someday.

ARIF...Am glad that your seeds have germinated well. I am not surprised that they did in your hot weather. Most yellows are warm temp. growers. They take a looooong winter sleep and only wake up once the temps are warm enough. Usually that would be late spring/early summer here in my growing area.

Will take note of your request. Yellows are very hard to breed. They are very very picky with their partners. If they do accept pollens, they only produce so much seeds. Their pollens are also not readily accepted by others. My pollination attempts last season had like 80-90% failures. These are mostly attempts of crossing them with other yellows and not selfed. I find it useless to self them as my aim was to produce bigger flowered yellows or improve on the intensity of the yellow color.

A pretty frilled petaled yellow. Enjoy!!!
    {{gwi:397425}}

• brigarif Khan
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hi Maria
    On the right is the pot of your seedlings besides pot of my miniature yellows. You are right last year their selfing and inter crossing was a failure.
    {{gwi:397426}}
    Arif

• brigarif Khan
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Maria, God bless you.
    I have waited a long time for this years pictures of your YELLOWs.May be I missed them.Post pictures or refer me to the post if already submitted.
    Arif

• joshy46013
    12 years ago

Arif,

How are your yellows? I'd love to see them :)

• brigarif Khan
    Original Author
    12 years ago

The 11 seedlings as today, they made good recovery after damage by the hailstorm.
    {{gwi:397427}}From Misc 2011

• brigarif Khan
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Once I had a miniature yellow hippeastrum, from the forum I learnt it has mosaic virus. I was advised to destroy it, which I did and lament even today. The progeny having the same leave markings is with me for the last 7 years.
    My dear Departed.

{{gwi:397428}}
    Arif

• rosegrowernb
    10 years ago

I understand that there are No yellow amarylis in commerciual production if there were I would have one :>(((
    Jack

• kaboehm (zone 9a, TX USA)
    10 years ago

Jack.., what about all the yellows currently being offered by Komoriya on eBay? Look at the photos posted under the Komoriya heading and see what you think. Guess it depends how deep a yellow you want. There are other readily available yellows...Lemon Star, H. Evansae, and others.
    K

• rosegrowernb
    10 years ago

I am led to understand by a reputable company that sells Amarylis that there are no yellow amarylis in commerc ial production, Thats all I can say, wish there were. Jack

10 years ago

Love your yellow blooms Maria! I am excited that my Komoriya blooms are such little gems.
    K

• mariava7
    10 years ago

Thanks Kristi! Give your Komoriya bulbs lots of TLC and learn how they would thrive in your growing practises and conditions. These varieties are bred for their "unique" flowers and not for vigor and performance like the Dutch varieties.

• ton2
    9 years ago

can some one help me to tell where I can buy yellow flowering Hippeastrum hybrids?

• ton2
    9 years ago

can some one help me to tell where I can buy yellow flowering Hippeastrum hybrids?

9 years ago

Royal Colors has Multiflora Yellow Garden. Komoriya is offering many via eBay for prime prices.
    K

• ton2
    9 years ago

does some one know where I can buy the yellow flowering Hippeastrum Kliber?

• blancawing
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Hallo Ton,

Years ago, I was
    excited after first seeing an image of ‘Kliber.’ In the process of trying to find a source, I learned that
    the Wilford Bulb Company in 
the UK supposedly introduced ‘Kliber’ in 2006. Unfortunately, the word is that
    ‘Kliber’ is used exclusively in the cut flower trade and is dyed. In other words, the photos of ‘Kliber’
    are misleading.

Sorry to give you the
    news that what appears to be an amazing yellow flower has actually been
    chemically altered to produce the color.
    Should you wish to pursue acquiring ‘Kliber,’ my research yielded the
    contact information shown below this message.

There are some very nice
    yellow Hippeastrum cultivars on the market including the Sonatini ‘Helios’ and
    several from Komoriya Nursery in Japan, which are periodically available on
    eBay. I hope that this information is useful.

Kind regards,

Blanca

Wilford Bulb Co. Ltd.

Tony Cross Managing
    Director

Lenox House

Station Road

East Leake

Loughborough

Leicestershire

LE12 6LQ

United Kingdom

Phone : +44 1509
 Fax : +44 1509 852905

• orchids_grower_1946
    9 years ago

Hello Ton

I have a yellow one it is Moon Shine . Here is a photo

• orchids_grower_1946
    9 years ago

Moon Shine

• bragu_DSM 5
    9 years ago

Some people don't care for yellow flowers, and would not have them in the garden, but these are exceptional. Very nice. Now if we could just get a blue … worsleya type …that everybody could afford...

• ton2
    9 years ago

Thank you all for your help and reaction. Orchids_grower, do you have perhaps a little bulb from Moon Shine?

8 years ago

Here is a link to a thread full of beautiful yellow blooms. I am finding that the Komoriya bulbs aren't generous with offsets.

• ton2
    8 years ago

did I miss something? Where is the link?

8 years ago

the green word that says "link"....click on it!