Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jane__ny

Bought my first one

jane__ny
11 years ago

Heaven knows if its worth the $20.00 but I thought I'd ask the experts.

Was at a plant sale with lots of vendors and saw a booth with a bunch of bulbs. I let the man pick a bulb for me. It appears to be starting to bloom. I put it in the ground with the others which surprised me at our new house.

{{gwi:397616}}

The bulb appeared a bit dehydrated and had some black. I peeled back some of the skin and it had some black under it.

{{gwi:397617}}

{{gwi:397618}}

{{gwi:397620}}

The vendor wrote the name on the stem. 'Malaga.'

I planted it in the bed with the other unknowns. Hope I did it right. I left part of the bulb neck above the mulch.

What do you think? Did I get 'rooked?'

Jane

Comments (13)

• kaboehm (zone 9a, TX USA)
    11 years ago

Who can put a price on happiness? I looks like it should be a beautiful red double. I hope it does well for you!
    K

• dondeldux z6b South Shore Massachusetts
    11 years ago

Hi Jane,

Well....I would say that who ever sold you that poor bulb for $20.00 should be ashamed of themselves.

That said, these bulbs do have a will to live so... with some pampering and TLC it may reward you.

If you find the flowers are reluctant to open you might consider cutting them and bringing them inside and enjoy them in a vase. This would take any further stress off your bulb and allow it to direct what energy it has to growing roots and leaves. Just my opinion guys....

Donna

11 years ago

I have paid more than I should have for some bulbs....I don't think I'm alone in that.

Jane...it will bring you lots of pleasure and I bet it will bulk up this summer!
    K

11 years ago

Jane & Kristi,

I've paid more than some bulbs were worth too! Way more than once unfortunately! We all have..that's just one of the pitfalls of this hobby, we want something so we throw caution to the wind and buy it!! But, I still think you were overcharged for that one...

I once got a rotting bulb from EBay and managed to save it's life, I've still got it today, my Limona!

Donna

11 years ago

By the way Jane, I should have some seeds in a week or so. I'm waiting on 2 additional pods that are just about there. So if you're still interested in trying some just send me an email...Donna

• jane__ny
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks all and thank you Donna for the offer of the seeds. I would be thrilled to give them a try. Sorry I haven't posted back sooner, just too much going on.

I knew I was taken when I got it home. The couple actually gave me their card and told me I could order online from them. No thanks!

I always run to any plant sales and have never seen any vendors selling Amaryllis. These people were the first and I was so excited!.

Live and learn......

Jane

• lenanen
    11 years ago

I haven't seen that variety for sale anywhere; in the pictures found on the internet it looks stunning, and I'm not the greatest fan of doubles.

You could and I think you should send them feedback...

• berkeleysgr8
    11 years ago

$20 for a sprouted bulb is high... but I agree that we've probably all paid too much for some plants. One of my better purchases this season was for a pre-planted pot with 3 Gervase bulbs for $25 (plus shipping) from Living Gardens.

http://www.livinggardens.com/store/sale/gervaseoverstock

I've had the pot for only a few weeks, but each bulb is putting up 2 fat, healthy scapes. It should be stunning when it blooms. Ironically, the shipping cost was less when I added a set of paperwhite forcing jars to the order. -Tina

11 years ago

Tina, can't wait to see your pot of Gervases. My single is just now sending up a bud but yours should be stunning!

Donna

• jane__ny
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I thought I'd update. Most of the buds turned black and died before opening, I'm sure due to stress. There is one which opened (see pic) but also looks damaged. It appears there is a leaf spike appearing.

What amazed me is how many buds there was. I counted at least 4 from that dead spike. With this one flower, I count another 4 buds???

Does that sound right?

Jane
    {{gwi:397622}}

This shows some of the blackened buds
    {{gwi:397624}}

{{gwi:397625}}

10 years ago

Jane,

4 blooms per scape is pretty typical! I could be looking at those photos wrong, but it looks to me like they bloomed. Red blooms wilt and turn nearly black after they are spent.

It looks like that bulb is pretty happy!! I bet you are too!
    K

• Carol love_the_yard (Zone 9A Jacksonville, FL)
    10 years ago

Jane, I remember that you live in Florida - I've seen you post frequently on the Florida Gardening forum - but I don't remember in what city you live. If you are nearby, I have bulbs I will give you. I'm swimming in them.

Carol in Jacksonville

• jane__ny
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Oh, Carol you are so kind...but - I live in Sarasota which I think is not close by. How I wish!

Thank you for the offer,

Jane

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting
More Discussions