Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
berkeleysgr8

Planting papilio in coconut husk only?

berkeleysgr8
11 years ago

This past winter was my first as a papilio parent. I left one of my bulbs out on a covered front porch for the winter and I brought the other bulb inside. I wanted to see which fared better. When I was gardening this past weekend, I decided to take a closer look at the bulb that had stayed outside. It had 3 or 4 leaves that had stayed green all winter, though the leaves looked a little beaten up. When I gave the bulb a squeeze to ensure that it was still firm, I discovered it was mushy. Based on other posts I've read here, I think what I was seeing was evidence that it had partially froze this winter. Poor thing lost between 1/3 and 1/2 of it's size! I've cleaned off all the mushy bits and planted that bulb in Hydroton, in a "semi-hydro" set up. It's now growing under T5 lights indoors. I was surprised to discover how much moisture the potting mix was holding, despite being about 50% perlite, for drainage. I now want to repot my other papilio into a better medium. I'm wondering if anyone has tried growing them in coconut husk chunks (the ones I have are referred to as "coco croutons", and the chunks are the size of large salad croutons)? I have had good luck growing Cymbidium orchids in this medium. It holds a good amount of water, but also allows excellent air flow around the roots. Any thoughts about attempting to grow papilio in this medium?

-Tina

Sponsored
Industry Leading General Contractors in Pickerington
More Discussions