Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
karanb1r

Flower ID.. Please :)

karanb1r
12 years ago

{{gwi:397977}}

The flower is about 5 inches at its widest.. and the bulbs are about 2 inches in diameter.

I was thinking striatum... but a fellow member told me its not.

The bulbs are offsets of bulbs that were around 25 years old so it is NOT a new species, if that helps.

Thanks

-KB

Comments (12)

• haweha
    12 years ago

These are beautiful and look like heirloom hybrids with vittatum parentage/influence. I presume that a name will not be retrieved. Do the flowers have a subtle fragrance? And thank you for showing. Good for you that you keep them a-life I mean alive!

• dondeldux z6b South Shore Massachusetts
    12 years ago

-KB-2
    Very pretty! I just bought a bulb from Ebay that I expect will look something like yours when it blooms. I hope it's as cheery looking as yours...
    Donna

• sun_worshiper
    12 years ago

Very nice! I agree - an heirloom of some sort. Where are you in zone 9? I'm in FL, and a lot of older yards here have clumps of similar looking blooms that are old varieties without names.

• karanb1r
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks everyone!

I was really hoping for a name but I guess that's not possible lol. Or is it?

I haven't gotten a chance to smell it nor see the flower open up since I was out of the country, but there is a scape opening up so I will let you know in a week or so.

Anyone else have any opinions on parentage or agree with vittatum parentage because I have no clue...

I am growing many of these seedlings to trade and acquire more variety in my collection, but I want to give a name with the bulbs.

Thanks!!!!
    KB

• joshy46013
    12 years ago

Definitely not striatum or any other species, it looks like one of the many hybrids that are circulating through Florida. Some of these are hybrids that amateurs have made and some may be discarded hybrids from William Bells program.

It is almost impossible to give you positive parentage information but I would suggest H. vittatum as one of them but this is just an assumption. Who knows what the other may be, it could be of hybrid parentage.

I would doubt you'll find a name for this plant, maybe you should just name it yourself? After all, names don't make a plant more beautiful, I learned that on this forum, I wanted a name for everything!

Enjoy, it's beautiful!

Josh

• grant_in_arizona
    12 years ago

I just wanted to chime in that it really is beautiful. I love the contrast of the cherry red and the white, and the neat, deep red veins on the red portions of the petals. Some of these olde tyme (note spelling, hah!) are really charming. Thanks for sharing it, and if you do find, or create, a name, let us know. Happy gardening everyone, Grant.

• karanb1r
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Ok I saw a newer flower and took a couple close-ups so maybe that might give a little more detail.

The flower DOES have a nice sweet smell to it.

I will hold off on naming it for a little bit. :)

Partial Shade
    {{gwi:397978}}

Full Shade
    {{gwi:397979}}

• karanb1r
    Original Author
    12 years ago

@sun worshiper- I live in La, California. Zone 9

• berkeleysgr8
    12 years ago

Regardless of name (or lack thereof), what a wonderful surprise to have such a beautiful flower with a fragrance! A double bonus! -Tina

• dondeldux z6b South Shore Massachusetts
    12 years ago

I think I'm envious.. that's a real beauty and fragrant to boot! I just love the ruby red throat too!
    Donna

• honeybunny2 Fox
    12 years ago

Looks like minerva to me! I do not own any, but have bought 6 so far. Barbra

• karanb1r
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks guys!!!

I dont know if all the bulbs I have of this flower are similar in appearance but I am almost certain.

I thought it could be Striatum, Minerva or piccolo, but all seem unlikely right now. It probably is a cross that someone made a while back. My dad got these bulbs over 25+ years ago when he bought the house.

I have one incoming scape so lets see if it is similar to this one. If it is, and if no one has an ID on it, then I will post a new thread with pictures and maybe name it. :)

I have about 40-50 1.5+ year seedlings of this cross. I am keeping them to trade, so please message me if you are interested. But I also want to keep a few since it might reveal what the parents might have been.

Picture of Seedlings 4/9/12
    {{gwi:397980}}

KB2

Sponsored
More Discussions