Return to the Amaryllis/Hippeastrum Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Not Tosca, but what is it?

Posted by HippieZep 11 (My Page) on
Sun, Apr 24, 11 at 2:49

I bought this from Royal Colours in Netherlands as Tosca. In their catalogue at that time (about 18 months ago) Tosca was pictured looking like this. However, in their recent catalogue, Tosca is completely different, with a mix of pale colours. So the one I bought is evidently not Tosca, but what is it? It has very dark flowers with a shiny sheen, and the pedicels and ovaries are completely green.

Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Not Tosca, but what is it?

I had the same thing happen to me last year and Paul from RC identified it as "Bonfire". You might send him a photo to confirm.
Kristi

o

Can't find any references to bonfire on the Internet. I contacted RC and they said that the supplier accidentally included this with the Tosca batch, and it is an as yet unnamed new variety. Looks very much like the description of Royal Velvet on Emaryllis.

o

I think the blooms look too small to be 'Royal Velvet', more along the lines of 'Rapido'.

I sadly got 'Rozetta' instead of 'Blossom Peacock' and 'Limona' instead of 'Lemon Lime'. Those are the two things I was most looking forward to!

What ever the case, they're all beautiful :)

o
RE: Not Tosca, but what is it???

I think the blooms look too small to be 'Royal Velvet', more along the lines of 'Rapido'.

I sadly got 'Rozetta' instead of 'Blossom Peacock' and 'Limona' instead of 'Lemon Lime'. Those are the two things I was most looking forward to!

What ever the case, they're all beautiful :)

o

Here's the reply I got from Paul at RC last year as well as photos of my blooms. You decide. K
Photobucket
Photobucket
Hello Kristi

I just received an answer from my supplier. He confimed to me that there were a few mislabeled bulbs in the Tosca stock he delivered to me and you had very bad luck that you got 2 out 2 mislabeled ones.
The mislabeled Tosca can you label as "Bonfire"

Regards,
Paul

o

Thanks - this looks very much like it, including the fact that the tepals don't fully meet at the base (as with Royal velvet). I notice he said "you can label it bonfire." I wonder if that is a suggestion for the name for the new variety which has not yet been confirmed, hence the lack of Internet reference.

o

Paul knows I like to ID all my bulbs. He is an authority with one of the top distributors...I'll take his word on this....mine is labeled as Bonfire. I don't have time/uae for no-ID bulbs.
Kristi

o

Bonfire sounds good! Here are some more pics:

Photobucket

Photobucket

o

Yep...very pretty. If Paul had told me it was "Spotted Dog" I would trust him! :-) LOL!!
K

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Amaryllis/Hippeastrum Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here