Return to the Amaryllis/Hippeastrum Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Piyo Piyo

Posted by Macroclemys 7b (NC) (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 8, 14 at 4:34

My Piyo Piyo, which I received in August of last year. A very elegant little flower and well worth the wait. It surely must have a lot of H. evansiae in it. It has 4 flowers on the scape.

photo Piyopiyo7_zpscff00ce5.jpg

photo Piyopiyo12_zps0e0d0bbc.jpg

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Piyo Piyo

I never noticed that star before...bet you are right about H. Evansiae.
Kristi

o

Very pretty!! Mine should be open in a few days but only with 2 flowers. I hope the faint red star in the center is visible on mine also.

o

Kristi,
Is your photo H. evansiae or Piyo piyo?
Bill

o

It's one of my H. Evansiae....I have another with a much more prominent pink star. I have a Piyo Piyo too....
K

o

Kristi,
Do you find H. evansiae easy to grow and rebloom? I am wondering what to expect with this.
Bill

o

Mine bloom every year. I made the horrifying discovery last weekend that a colony of fire ants made a home in one of the pots. I could only salvage some really little offsets.

The other pot should bloom in the next week!
K

o

Here is my Piyo-piyo that I took this morning, I found with the pictures I tried to take this evening that the flower had started to close up in the dark so I'll have to wait until tomorrow to take a few more. the color is pretty good and I've got that faint star in the middle but only 2 flowers and my second bulb of this variety is not going to make it.

Donna

o

Donna,
It looks like yours is more yellow than mine. My Moonshine opened today and it looks quite similar to Piyo piyo so far, but is a bit more yellow, and lacks the star.

Bill

o

Bill,

I was pleased that my Piyo-piyo was so yellow with less green than my Miss Lemon but I just loved Miss Lemon's shape. Your Moonshine is very pretty also but with more green. Are you going to try and mate them?

Unfortunately, I don't dare to use my Miss Lemon's pollen due to the strange looking scape but I have Lemon Gold about to open and I will put Piyo-piyo on Lemon Gold to see what I can come up with. Piyo-piyo is an interesting flower but I think I liked Miss Lemon (a much larger flower) better, but I could change my mind..

Donna

o

Donna,
Yes, they were cooperative enough to flower at the same time, so I will certainly be doing crosses in both directions, as well as selfs. I have pollen saved from some other white/green/yellow varieties, so I have to decide what other combinations to try.
Bill

o

Here is my comparison photo taken yesterday, in natural light:

H. Evansiae (top) and Piyo-Piyo (bottom).
K

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Amaryllis/Hippeastrum Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here