Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
weldorf961

Confused about dormancy in different species

weldorf961
13 years ago

Hey everyone, I have a few questions about dormancy in hippeastrums. I currently own a red lion, cybister lima, papilio, and double record. I would like to explain each bulb's situation, and I would like to see if anyone has recommendations for each species.

-I've had the red lion for about 3 years, and it has bloomed twice, this year being the third- with a forced dormant period once it gets cooler in october (it's never gone yellow or lost its leaves by itself before the first frost. i've always stopped watering and put it in a cool dark spot in the basement.) This one is currently getting ready to bloom right now, but it's 'flower capsule' (as i like to call it) seems to be much smaller this year for some reason.

The other 3 species I received at the same time at the beginning of december.

-The cybister lima was planted in late december and it bloomed less than a month later in january, to my surprise. It's a large bulb with vigorous roots and it had 2 flower stalks. very impressive! It's foliage looks great and has 5 healthy leaves.

-Double record was planted at the same time as the lima and is currently finishing it's bloom cycle and finally growing leaves.

-The papilio was planted a week later than the other two and has grown much slower. it has 3 small leaves and hasn't seemed to do anything for quite some time (I read these can be quite unpredictable as far as growth and blooming.)

So, I am wondering what the requirements are for dormancy for each of these species? I have done a lot of research on hippeastrum/amaryllis and I can't seem to get a clear answer; whether or not to force dormancy or keep them growing as 'evergreen' throughout the year, etc. I've read people saying either way, and one is worse than the other.... so i'm confused. I'm not ever looking for holiday blooms or anything like that, I just want them as permanent container plants (in and outdoors) to bloom every year whenever they feel the time is right. I live in Wisconsin and plan on having them outside for the summer and taking them back inside before the first frost. Any tips/recommendations/accurate knowledge would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance.

Comment (1)

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths
More Discussions