Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
salpal_gw

Pink Floyd problems

salpal
10 years ago

I have been able to keep my PF alive here in Mn, but barely. Have tried bottom heat, keeping indoors and constant vigilance. Have not had a bloom for many years and the bulb has shrunk to a tiny thing.Does anyone have tips or ideas? Any help would be welcome.
Thanks, Sally
PS: I love this variety for its fragrance

Comments (8)

• salpal
    Original Author
    10 years ago

bump down.

• kaboehm (zone 9a, TX USA)
    10 years ago

Sally,
    I just got a heating mat for seedlings and put some established seedlings on it in good light. They started failing and I realized that the mat was really probably too hot. Any chance your bottom heat is too much?

I would think good light and maybe even planting it in a bed for late spring and summer could stimulate growth. Good fertilizer too. Have you dug it up to look at roots and basal plate? Is the soil quality adequate?

Hmmm....
    Hope you can pinpoint something!!
    Kristi

• dondeldux z6b South Shore Massachusetts
    10 years ago

Sally,

I just put Pink Floyd in the Search Box and came up with a few threads. This one probably will help you the most as there were several posters like you, with the " Pink Floyd Blues"...

Donna

Here is a link that might be useful: Pink Floyd

• kaboehm (zone 9a, TX USA)
    10 years ago

Oh... That's too bad to hear! I hope someone can help. Pink Floyd is so pretty!
    K

• blancawing
    10 years ago

Reading those old posts sure made me miss Alana!
    Her photo of PF still takes my breath away.

Sally,

After many years, several PFs are still growing in my collection. They may enjoy the mild California climate, but (for me) this variety is a very reluctant bloomer. I am growing some of its offspring (e.g. 'Chico' x 'Pink Floyd' and 'Pink Floyd' x 'Sugar Candy') and hoping for improved bloom frequency. I don't think that I could ever improve on its beauty.

Good luck with finding a way to make yours happy.

-Blanca

• salpal
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks to all you experts on your input.
    Kristi- I like your idea to relook at basal plate. I used the heat mat in the past after hearing PF liked heat, but am not
    using it currently, I usually just use for germinating seeds not seedlings (of all types).
    I tried keeping PF indoors just until outdoor temps were >70, silly to you guys maybe, we get very warm temps here but not consistantly.
    Donna I recall many have had probs with PF but if the grower could sustain to blooming I wish they would sounds like many have similar probs, bummer.
    Blanca, you are fortunate to still grow PF, I'd love to hear if you do anything special to keep them alive. I do have many PFx papillio that grow and bloom and a few PFx exotic star. They are cool but don't have so much the trumpet look. Some of the PFxpap do have light light fragrence tho.
    Again thanks to all of you with so much knowledge, it is so appreciated.

• tommyr_gw Zone 6
    10 years ago

I blame the record company. ;)

• blancawing
    10 years ago

Sally,

Your PF crosses sound very interesting; they must be lovely. As we grow our bulbs under a broad range of environmental conditions, it is difficult to provide advice. We each need to discover what works to keep these precious bulbs thriving under our care. With that said, I grow PF inside my warmest and sunniest solarium year-round where I am able to control the temperature and watering schedule. I keep the temperature below 85 degrees and provide plenty of water during heat of the summer.

Happy growing!

-Blanca

Sponsored
Hoppy Design & Build
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Northern VA Award-Winning Deck ,Patio, & Landscape Design Build Firm