Return to the Amaryllis/Hippeastrum Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Limon - changes through the years and PB question

Posted by kaboehm 8b (My Page) on
Sun, Apr 11, 10 at 7:39

Just a curious comparison. This is the same bulb blooming in late 2008 when I first got it (basically forced blooms) and today with it having a great winter, no forced dormancy and lots of TLC in the greenhouse.

It doesn't even look like the same variety!! So much more color, etc. THOUGHTS?? It's VERY HAPPY! And I am so thrilled that the scapes are all so sturdy. No staking required. I feel like 2010 is THE year...a turning point for me! (only took 18 years to get here).
K

November 2008
L 12-16-08

This weekend April 2010
L 4-08-10

That greenhouse was the best $199 spent in years. Had to stop and not say "ever" as "self-cleaning" catbox is right up there!!

Has anyone ever made a photobook from their Photobucket acct?? Sure would be nice to do since all photos are in one place!
:-)
Kristi

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Limon - changes through the years and PB question

Cool!

o

Glad you liked them, our teen apprentice Hippeastrum grower. Funny you should say, "Cool!"...the word of choice for the younger set....as I think the cold temperatures of the winter months brought out a lot more color than the standard temps at which our purchased bulbs are grown under. The leaves stayed nice and green over the winter, so the bulb made enough food to put on a beautiful show.
Kristi

o

Kristi, I really believe temps play a great role in the colorations of our Amaryllis. Our dear friend Jodi and I would often compare the coloration of say a San Remo blooming in Illinois in the cold winter and a San Remo blooming in mild and sunny SW Florida. I think the first blooms, and this is just a personal observation, of any purchased bulb will exhibit it's homeland or birth colors and then the following year adapt it's colors to it's new and loving home.

Does any of this make sense to anyone besides me?? Just my personal thoughts. In any event, your Limon has become much more apealing under your tutorage! Beautiful hints of color make it more interesting.

o

Exotica is also much more vibrant this year!
K Last year (forced new bulb):
E 1-11-09

This year after a very cold winter (greenhouse temps were kept above freezing):
E 3-18-10

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Amaryllis/Hippeastrum Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here