Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hippiezep

Hong Kong: end of season blooms

hippiezep
13 years ago

The flowering season here in Hong Kong is very short, the month of April, really. Here are a few of the late blooms on my roof:

Alfresco: 4 scapes on this first timer

{{gwi:399788}}

Showmaster - 5 huge flowers

{{gwi:399789}}

Rozetta - large bright red flowers

{{gwi:399790}}

Dancing Queen - one of several that have been blooming successively for a month

{{gwi:399791}}

Carmen - been around for 3 or 4 years

Benfica - one of my favorites with its rich deep red colour

{{gwi:399792}}

Comments (15)

• dondeldux z6b South Shore Massachusetts
    13 years ago

Hi HippieZep,

Your Show Master is outstanding..I think your Rozetta may be mislabeled (the Rozetta I know is a double pink, but maybe it's Rosetta and a different flower, I'm not sure) and I'm not sure that Carmen has the small white stripes in the throat either..all beautiful none-the-less..love your Alfresco and Dancing Queen...

What do the rest of you think as to the labeling of Carmen and Rozetta...

Donna

• hippiezep
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks for the comments. I have little idea about the Rozetta - it was newly purchsed from Royal Colours, so it may well be mislabelled. Yes, Carmen does not look right - it may be one of the seedlings of unknown parentage from the Carmen/Red-white stock that I have mixed up with the others.

• joshy46013
    13 years ago

I'm not sure what the "rozetta" is but the 'Carmen' I think is 'Amigo'.

• haweha
    13 years ago

The "Showmaster" is the Master of Show!
    I provides a wealth of beauty to indulge in.
    Thank you for showing!

• hippiezep
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Yes, first time I've bought showmaster - very impressive.

Most of the other blooms are fading but a new phase is beginning. Here are a couple of mature pods - the one on the left is Giraffe, pollinated by Night Star, and the one on the right is Night Star, pollinated by Giraffe. They seem to be bursting to get out and germinate and grow and show the world what they can do with their hybrid blooms. Be sure to check back in spring 2015 for the pictures (mark your diary)

{{gwi:399793}}

• Echo_of_your_past
    13 years ago

All are so beautiful!
    Sandra :)

• e36yellowm3
    13 years ago

Very good- we'll look forward to you reposting pics to this thread in 4 years Zep! ;-) (though I think based on your other pics you can get some successful blooms sooner)

Alana

• hippiezep
    Original Author
    12 years ago

A few more survive into May. Also got lots of hybrid seed now, more than I can use. Here are the last blooms:

Gervase:

{{gwi:399794}}

San Remo

{{gwi:399795}}

Sumatra

{{gwi:399796}}

Aphrodite

{{gwi:399797}}

Temptation

{{gwi:399798}}

12 years ago

Even though the last picture is very Tempting, it's not Temptation..it looks more like Aphrodite to me and the one you have labeled Aphrodite may or may not be, it's gorgeous with that beautiful picotee feathering into the flower..could the next to the last one be Double Record..?

There is one called Rainbow also that in my case turned out to look exactly like my Aphrodite...

Anyway, you have produced such beautiful flowers from your crosses, I just hope some of mine are half as nice as yours and not a bunch of duds..can't wait to see more of your creations...

Donna

• Echo_of_your_past
    12 years ago

Even more beautiful flowers! Awesome!
    Sandra :)

• hippiezep
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks Donna - I did get the last two labels mixed up. These are what I got from Royal Colors - I'll put another couple up in the right order. Don't know how accurate the Aphrodite tag is, just what it was labelled as it arrived. ALso I left out the beautiful all white Matterhorn, which has considera bly bigger flowers than last year.

Cheers, Geoff

Aphrodite

{{gwi:399799}}

Matterhorn

{{gwi:399800}}

Temptation

{{gwi:399801}}

12 years ago

Geoff, Hope you don't mind, but the following picture is Temptation...Matterhorn is beautiful and the last one I think still may be Double Record, what do the rest of you think..?

Temptation

{{gwi:399802}}

Donna

• hippiezep
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hmm, not even similar. I wonder if RC has various hybrid types that shade into one another and they just put the closest name they can think of? I'll have to thgink of another name for this one

• joshy46013
    12 years ago

I think Donna is right, your mislabel is 'Double Record'

• hippiezep
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks for that. I've just checked Double Record on the Emaryllis database and it certainly looks like it. So I'm realising what others have probably known for a long time - take the label from the supplier with a pinch of salt.

The season is just about over here - just a few stragglers left. Here's another of the Dancing Queens on my rooftop as a reminder.
    Geoff

{{gwi:399803}}

Sponsored
More Discussions