Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hippiezep

Lima x Giraffe 2010 - green jade surprise

hippiezep
11 years ago

{{gwi:399843}}

Now hereâÂÂs a surprise. I had one or two rather straggly Lima x giraffe last year, but they did not look anything like this - they were in-between the shape and colour of the parents, and much less interesting. This one has thrown up an almost pure white and green flower with prominent veins and just a hint of orange blush. Reminds me a bit of lemon-lime. Nice crinkly edges too - another keeper.

{{gwi:399844}}

Comments (14)

• sun_worshiper
    11 years ago

Wow - what an amazing cross! Thanks for posting these great parentage pics - so very interesting to see what traits get passed on!

• pupu999
    11 years ago

it's interesting, good job! thanks for your sharing.

• dondeldux z6b South Shore Massachusetts
    11 years ago

That one is a real beauty, the shape and color are outstanding. I love it!

Donna

• kaboehm (zone 9a, TX USA)
    11 years ago

Amazing how different the seedlings are from the same parents. That one is amazing! Great job!

I made several Lima crosses and am just getting sprouts now. Too bad I have to wait 3 years!!!
    K

• hippiezep
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Yes, funny how seedlings from the same parents can look so different. Growing right alongside this green jade is another from exactly the same batch, but it looks like this:

{{gwi:399845}}

• rgebczynski
    11 years ago

I would never be able to tell these two came from the same parents. But the green/white one is beautiful! It would be lovely if it would be able to carry these genes further!

• hippiezep
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Lima x giraffe continues to throw up surprises. It seems like there are numerous possibilities with this particular re-assortment of genes. This one had me open-mouthed when I saw it opened out one morning - like none of the others in spite of having exactly the same parents. The flower is a solid deep reddish purple with unobtrusive dark streaks, and a green throat:

{{gwi:399846}}

I call it dark ruby. A neighbour said it reminded her of an orchid, just what I was thinking.

{{gwi:399847}}

The scape has three flowers, and it also sort of reminds me of the three witches in Macbeth.

{{gwi:399848}}

• bunnynomnom
    11 years ago

Dark ruby has such interesting frilly edges and shape. They do look like 3 witches now that you mentioned it :) Do you have any more siblings from this cross?
    My

• dondeldux z6b South Shore Massachusetts
    11 years ago

Geoff,

EXTREMELY nice!! If you got 3 flowers this time next time you'll get 4!! And, is this one from the same seedpod as your Green Jade? Can't wait to see the rest of them!!

Donna

• rebecca47
    11 years ago

Of all the various Cybister types I have made crosses with, I have yet to use LIMA, now I absolutely must - if only she will bloom! I would have to use it on/with EXOTIC STAR though as it is the best performer I have.

I've only had a couple of seedlings bloom and neither were Cybister Hyb. crosses, but were from non-Cybister types and one of them I lost the tag on! I think they may both be from the same cross, but more on that in a different post.

Back on topic, I am in awe of what the results have been from this cross. The green is perhaps my favorite, although the deep, ruby red is pretty sharp looking as well! Congrats on your work!

• berkeleysgr8
    11 years ago

All of the crosses are great! The green one is my favorite, but I adore green flowers. What a great assortment from the same cross! -Tina

• dangles
    11 years ago

very pretty and interesting crosses keep up the good work and well done happy growing danny

• dragonstone
    11 years ago

Wow, I would be extremely tickled if I had a flower like the first picture that doesn't really carry on the colors of the parents. That's pretty cool.

• dangles
    11 years ago

I like your flowers all very striking I want some

Sponsored
More Discussions