Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jacqui_kam

S of France

jacqui.kam
13 years ago

Hi folks, Kirsty and Donna,

Sorry I have not been in touch before, because nothing has happened and after weeks of waiting I suddenly have 1 seed head which has split. It is in full sun and I water twice a week. What do I do next? Jacqui
{{gwi:400007}}De Nikon Pictures

Comments (7)

• kaboehm (zone 9a, TX USA)
    13 years ago

OH JACQUI....exciting!
    You have 2 options for starting the seeds. Since you have so many you might try both. You can get a shallow dish with a cover and add about an inch of water. I usually put in a couple of drops of hydrogen peroxide. Then pick fat plump seeds and lay them on the top of the water so that they don't touch (they may float together and eventually touch, but I don't like to overcrowd them) and cover the top of the dish. Within a couple of weeks you should see roots underneath and then later a green leaf on top.

OR...you can sow them right in soil. I make a groove in the soil and lay the seeds in the groove and then gently push the soil up to the seed. They look like little sails sticking out of the soil. OR you can sow them flat, but they take much more room that way. Seeds like to be kept moist...and starting them in soil eliminates the need to replant then when they are tiny (the ones you start in water will have to be transplanted to soil and that's a bit of a shock for them!).

CONGRATULATIONS ON YOUR BABY HIPPIS to be!!
    :-)
    Kristi

• dondeldux z6b South Shore Massachusetts
    13 years ago

Congratulations from me too!

The only thing I might add to Kristi's advice is to maybe give a few seeds away..you're very likely to end up with 50 to 70 baby Red Lions and then you will feel responsible for their lives..that's a daunting task...:-)

Donna

• jacqui.kam
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hi Kristy and Donna,
    Thanks for your advice, but when exactly do I extract the seeds? The pods are not yet right open. Should I leave the plant out in the sun? I have got 4 new leaves coming. Jacqui.

13 years ago

Jacqui,

Once they have split.. as in your picture, they are ready..Pull the pod apart remove the seeds, and remove the chaff..(little pieces of undeveloped seeds and you are ready to start planting..do not pull the black papery covering off the seeds..soak and plant away..

Donna

• jacqui.kam
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Donna,
    By the time I received your answer I had realised I had to harvest or I would lose all the valuable seeds, so I split the head and removed the seeds carefully. The little black chaff came off on their own. I have planted the seeds in little 2"x2" plastic seed boxes, about 5 per box, watering every day, but is it OK in full sun? What do I do with the old seed head? Can I cut it down now? Do I keep the original bulb, with its 4 new leaves in the sun? It gets quite hot here in summer.
    Thanks, Jacqui

13 years ago

Jacqui,

As for your newly planted seeds I would acclimate them to the sun gradually, they really don't need any sun to germinate..this all takes place in my house on a coffee table out of the sun. In your case I think the heat would tend to dry them out too quickly..even a short time drying out between watering could be detrimental to the unsprouted seeds.

Even when my seedling get leaves a few inches long, I restrict their sun. But I know folks in Florida who plant directly in the ground don't worry about the sun..but in the ground, they have less chance of drying out.

As for you mother plant, start with sun a few hours a day and over a few weeks time they can take full sun. Don't be dismayed if the old leaves get sunburned anyway..that happens..and the plant will just grow new leaves. The choice it your as to whether you want to cut the old stalk off the plant, some say leave it on and the nutrients will go back into the bulb, and some cut them off. I do both, depending on which way the wind is blowing...I don't think it really matters all that much.

Cut the old seed head off and throw it away...!!

Good Luck, and keep us posted..

and just remember..this is just my opinion and I certainly am no expert so always listen to what everyone has to say and then make your own decisions...

Donna

• jacqui.kam
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks Donna, will keep you posted. Jacqui

Sponsored
More Discussions