Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dondeldux

Exotica x h. papilio sprouting seeds

{{gwi:393749}}

Here are my Exotica x papilio seeds which I think I posted a picture of somewhere but I can't find it for an update.

So far so good!! There about 10 or more...

{{gwi:400052}}

Donna

Comments (13)

• mariava7
    11 years ago

Yayyyyyy for Donna!

I did this cross a few years back but lost track of my seedlings. They could have gone to amaryllis heaven or are still alive...somewhere. LOL It would be nice to see one of my dreams come true thru your seedlings Donna. :-)

• bunnynomnom
    11 years ago

Congratulations, Donna! I'll have to check on this thread in 2 years to see the exciting outcome :)

• dondeldux z6b South Shore Massachusetts
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you both for your encouragement! I was really surprised that so many sent out roots and they don't appear that they are going to turn to mush, they just don't have that look! Will keep you all posted.

Donna

• kaboehm (zone 9a, TX USA)
    11 years ago

I hope mine do as well...
    K

Original Author
    11 years ago

Hope so too!! It will be nice to compare in 3 years....!!

• haxuan
    11 years ago

Congrats, Donna.

Xuan

• salpal
    11 years ago

Donna, that is so exciting and what a cooool cross! (feeling a little green here)

• sun_worshiper
    11 years ago

That's very exciting Donna!

Two of the exotica x mocca seedlings you sent me made it and are growing along nicely=)

• catsandhippies
    6 years ago

Donna, I looked up this old thread because I was thinking of this cross when I read about your new Ferrari x Papilio. Do you still have those seedlings? Did you see any blooms yet?

Kristi, what about you? You did the same cross, didn't you?

I tried it too three years ago but it failed.

Anja

Original Author
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

Hi Anja,

Yes!! I have 2 or 3 decent sized seedlings growing from this cross!! They aren't about to bloom any time soon but they are growing well so maybe in a year or so?

As for my Ferrari x papilio, the first flower has totally wilted so I was so encouraged that I did another and I also did a Jungle Star. This Ferrari that snuck in through the back door so to speak, is totally well rooted and has 6 strong leaves so as she was uninvited, she couldn't be more well behaved!!! I dare not get too excited about possible seeds as I know the tricks that these bulbs can play on us!!

I have yet another scape just up about an inch that will come later. Three scapes, the first two with 4 flowers each and I can't even take a decent picture!!! Oh well, now I know and will always have a Ferrari in my collection!!

The funny thing is that about 6 or 7 years ago I bought a Ferrari to give as a gift to a family member who had the same last name and I remember how gorgeous the flower was but she killed the bulb by cutting off the green leaves!! I asked her why in the world she cut the leaves and I guess I wasn't very nice about it and she was very annoyed so I just forgot about this bulb!!

Last year was nearly a total disaster in the seed department but this year appears that it is going to be better. Jungle Star as well as La Paz also Midori no Juni have set several pods as well as a tantalizing tease of Sonatini # 1810 (striped leaves) on Exotic Star of all things that wilted the day after I put on the pollen, dare I hope!?!? I may be looking for some homes if all these pods do well, but of course I remember saying the same thing last year and nothing took but the anticipation is fun during this cold but nice (so far) winter!!

Donna

• Fred Biasella
    6 years ago

Hi Donna,

I wish you the best luck with your crosses :-))) My hippies are still in the basement but I think they'll make their migration upstairs. I haven't been posting much due to my poor Mom falling and breaking her arm in three places and stuck in rehab for Christmas. I'm trying to not let it bring me down too much, but you know how it is when these things happen during the holidays. Please forgive my rambling but if feels better to talk about it :-))) Please post some pics of your crosses, they'll be a fun distraction.

Hugs,

Fred

Original Author
    6 years ago

Oh Fred, I'm so sorry about your Mom's mishap!! I sure do know what it's like to be totally occupied with ailing parents over the holidays and I wish you the best!!

Hope you have some flowers bloom soon for you to cheer you up!!

Donna ♥♥