Return to the Amaryllis/Hippeastrum Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Who Am I?

Posted by sun_worshiper FL 9b (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 26, 11 at 9:47

I recently ordered h. x johnsonii (Hardy Amaryllis) from the Southern Bulb Company. They are blooming now & are gorgeous! However, two of the bulbs did not come true to type. (Props to Southern Bulb Company's customer service - when I pointed out the error they promptly sent me replacement bulbs). So I now have a mystery variety. Southern Bulb Company said that I am the first to report a color deviation, and they aren't sure what I got (they are looking into it, be interesting to see if they can identify them). Here they are. The red one in the background is xjohnsonii, and the pink ones in the foreground are the unknown variety:

Anybody what to take a guess what these are? I took pictures of the bulbs before I planted them.

I remember where I planted the really big bulb (3rd from top) and it turned out to be one of the pink ones. The bulb was a bit bigger in diameter and flatter than the others.

Any guesses?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Who Am I?

Wow! Those are breathtaking! :)

o

Thanks Stephanie!

o

What is that red and green one in the back????

o

The red one in the back is x johnsonii. The green you are seeing is mostly an illusion. The light was so bright when I took the picture that the green of the grass is reflected in the white areas of the flower making them look green in the photo. I'll have to post a close up of the red one so you can see the true coloration better. The true coloration is more like the amount of green that is showing in the pink one in this photo. Any guess what the pink one is? Could it be a mutation of x johnsonii of some sort? It is almost certainly sterile. Not all the flowers had a stigma, and some of the stigmas are deformed.

o

The other one you see in the background, is that the same as the one up close? If so can you take a picture of that one?

I doubt this is xjohnsonii but a non-mutated flower would be beautiful :)

o

All 3 of these bulbs were supposed to be xjohnsonii. But the two pink ones clearly are not. The vendor agreed what I got isn't true to type and is sending me replacement bulbs for the 2 pink ones. I get to keep the 2 pink ones, and am now trying to guess what they are=) I'll post a closeup of the red one next time I'm at the computer with my photos.

o

Here's a close up of the red one. Apparently in my excitement I didn't take a straight on shot=) And the bloom has faded now.

Here's a strait on shot of another of the blooms in the same bed.

The amount of green varied a bit from bloom to bloom, but these two shots show colors pretty accurately.

o

The above picture is really lovely, I really like this one..

Donna

o

I got a response back from the vendor, and they have confirmed that some bulbs of another unknown variety got mixed into the H. johnsonii bulbs by mistake. So the pink one is definitely not a H. johnsonii mutation of some sort. What it is however remains a mystery. The vendor was not able to id it. Does it look like any variety any of you are growing?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Amaryllis/Hippeastrum Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here