Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
psbjmb

Is this an amaryllis?

psbjmb
10 years ago

Happy Tuesday everyone!

I was working in my side yard last weekend for the first time this spring and found this beautiful surprise blooming between my rain barrel and cement slab. I live in the Texas hill country (about an hour west of Austin) - I have lived in this house for 3 1/2 years and never noticed it before.

A friend at work thinks it's an amaryllis so I thought I'd see if I could get confirmation here. If it's not, do y'all have any ideas what kind of lily-ish plant it is?

The blooms are quite large (5" or so, I can measure tonight if necessary), and is almost 2 feet tall.

Is it possible/easy to transplant it to a more central location after it's bloomed? Will it propagate so I can have more? I appreciate any advice or guidance y'all can provide, it is just the loveliest flower!

{{gwi:400161}}

{{gwi:400162}}

{{gwi:400164}}

Thanks so much!

Comments (6)

• hippiezep
    10 years ago

What a great find. Certainly a Hippeastrum, (often referred to as Amaryllis, although this is really the name of a different genus) - looks like an Apple Blossom

• psbjmb
    Original Author
    10 years ago

HippieZep - thank you so much for the quick response! Now I have frame of reference and will look up how to take care of it and propagate it for more next year!

I have never had any type of bulb before (truthfully, I'm not much of a gardener, but would like to be), so this is quite exciting. How have I missed it the last 3 years at my house, lol? Perhaps this year's weather was just the right mix ...

• gardenper
    10 years ago

I do remember they bloom longer than other plants so I'm surprised you missed it too, assuming it did bloom in other years. It's possible it was still too young and this is the first year for a bloom.

I find that amaryllis bulbs on clearance sale are still pretty decent, so if you want more of this kind or other amaryllises, be sure to look out for the sales to get a lot of them inexpensively.

Otherwise, they will reproduce by making baby bulbs and also seed, but I haven't read too much about the seeds dropping and growing on their own. Usually I read about human intervention to get the seeds and then go through a process to make them germinate and then plant them (but you can read up more on that when you're ready to try it)

• dondeldux z6b South Shore Massachusetts
    10 years ago

That definitely looks like a healthy Apple Blossom to me also.

I don't envy you the chore of digging that bulb up in what appears to be a very inhospitable location. You could do it any time after the flowers are through blooming or you could cut the flowers, bring them in the house and do it now. You should get as large a root ball as possible and go as deep as you can to get as many roots as possible while trying not to damage the leaves!

You should know that Apple Blossom is notorious for being seedpod sterile even though a few of us (myself included) have at one time or another been able to produce a viable seed pod on Apple Blossom.

Don't let that stop you though you could try and self it (of course not cutting the flowers to bring them inside) and perhaps when you dig her up you will find some bulblets attached. I have an Apple Blossom blooming currently with 4 offsets in the same pot so she will do that for you.

Good luck and let us know how you make out!

Donna

• wally_1936
    10 years ago

You can hand pollinate each flower but even then I have some not take. As for dropping and self starting I did once throw the seeds on my flower bed and a couple years later ended up with this bloom from a Red Parent plant. So they just might self seed under the right conditions.

• kaboehm (zone 9a, TX USA)
    10 years ago

I have sent you an email.
    Kristi

Sponsored
More Discussions