Return to the Amaryllis/Hippeastrum Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Sweet ruffles

Posted by kaboehm 9a (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 15, 14 at 10:28

Some seedlings (H. Gordie selfs) are blooming. This was a first time bloom with 2 scapes. I was surprised by the ruffles! All the seedlings, thus far, have produced sweet fragranced blooms.
K

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Sweet ruffles

Kristi,
Very beautiful, even with the flavor!
What diameter of the flower?

o

Oleg,
I will measure when I get home. Here are 3 other siblings, each one different!
K

o

By best estimation, "Sweet Ruffles" is just 5.25" across and its mostly red/white sib is just over 7".
K

o

Very pretty!

Louana

o

They're all very pretty and it looks like they have nice strong scapes too!

o

I agree with Donna and Jesssiann, very pleasant seedlings)
But the interesting thing is that the descendants of Gordian showed pedigree vittatum was undoubtedly in the ancestors. Specifies the target of this the ruffles and flavor!

o

Very pretty
Arif

o

• Posted by haweha 7/Germany/W (My Page) on
    Wed, Apr 16, 14 at 5:08

Congratulations! This is a good result with 4 pretty-shaped non-drooping florets with broad and frilled segments. You must absolutely take into consideration, that you might unknowingly have selected a certain type of flowers, by growing only the "strong" seedlings. It might turn out, that none of these will look similar to the Parent. How many ("strong") siblings do you have?

o

Dear Hans-Werner,
I think that there are 5 separate bulbs around the tree that have put out offsets. I have many more seedlings in pots, some I am still waiting for blooms. All are growing well, while these bulbs in the ground are absolutely thriving.

I still have 2 original H. Gordie bulbs, but they are growing under screen. I would gladly pay to propagate them if I was sure the results would be virus-free. I would give some of the resulting bulbs away to list friends and sell others (I'm told there would be thousands!). I need to really make some serious inquiries.
K

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Amaryllis/Hippeastrum Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here