Questions on cross-pollination

haxuan
13 years ago

If I put pollen of a white bloom onto a red one, would I get:

- a pink bloom?

- a white bloom with red stripes?

- a red bloom with white stripes?

- or what?

Similarly, if I put pollen of a single on a double bloom, what would I get?

I hope someone will educate me since I'm so naive about all this scientific thing.

Many thanks.

Xuan

Comments (12)

• brigarif Khan
    13 years ago

You will get what you dont expect.

• Carol love_the_yard (Zone 9A Jacksonville, FL)
    13 years ago

Only God knows - seriously! There is a huge pool of genes in the female and a huge pool of genes in the male. Some are dominant and some are recessive. The dominant genes "win" (are the traits/characteristics) unless two recessives get passed (one from each parent). Then you sometimes see or get traits not often seen. Sometimes these are considered "defects" and sometimes they are considered bonuses/enhancements/positive traits. Only God knows which genes are passed each time you do a cross.

Like mentioned previously on this forum, you can do a cross numerous times using the SAME bulbs and get different results EACH time. It is the same as you and your siblings: same parents but different traits in each child.

Have FUN!!!
    Carol

• haxuan
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks, Carol.

So it will be full of surprises with your crosses, right? Got you.

Xuan

• npublici
    13 years ago

You will get reds,whites,oranges,red and white striped,orange and white striped in many shades,depending on how many seeds you grow of a cross.Yellow is in the genes of most reds and whites,but rarely comes forward as a yellow bloom.If you click on one of my photographs it will take you to 584 blooms,on photobucket,of which many are the red-white cross.
    Del

• haxuan
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Many thanks, Del. It is very interesting for me to have all these possibilities out of my crosses :-).

BTW, would you please give me the link to your Photobucket album? TIA.

Xuan

• brigarif Khan
    13 years ago

Carol, well said.

• Carl
    13 years ago

Xuan, you should only get red ones. IF the red motherplant is homozygous, which means that the gene that produces red colour is found on both chromosones (or all four since you're using Tetraploids, but that just means that instead of one there's always two 'in a pack' that are handed on to the siblings) - which is normal for plants from a long line of culture breeding, the regular ones you buy.
    Read the wikipedia article on Mendelian inheritance

Colours are dominant over white because white is usually the result of a colour-producing gene that doesn't work due to a mutation.

Check out my thread last year, just scroll down to the red ones. These where all from a cross pollination like your's 'white x red'

Here is a link that might be useful: Blooms in the Lair of the Klotz 2010

13 years ago

Carl, thanks for those very interesting links! I liked the review on Mendel and it was good to read that again. It explains it so well.

Your flowers are beautiful. During the spring of 2010, I missed so many posts and interactions here with earthquake in Haiti. I was heavily involved in the relief effort last year and missed the blooming of almost all my amaryllis and everyone else, too. So I enjoyed reading your thread for the FIRST time today! :)

Carol

• Carl
    13 years ago

Thank you! I will make a short update once my own crosses have opened their blooms. The ones I still own have all produced one flowering stem and are still in full leaves from last year. This year the colour should improve. They are now on the wide opened windowsills, I hope that the colder temperatures will enhance their performance ;)

• npublici
    13 years ago

Haxuan,
    This is the url:http://s408.photobucket.com/home/npublici
    Incidently, the most common color among the seedlings will be orange.Wait three years before dicarding seedlings.Some change with bulb size.
    Del

13 years ago

Hyperlinked below.

Carol

Here is a link that might be useful: npublici's latest activity

• haxuan
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Many thanks for the link, Del and Carol.

Xuan

Sponsored
J.Holderby - Renovations
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Franklin County's Leading General Contractors - 2X Best of Houzz!
More Discussions