Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hippiezep

Hybrid flowers in 2 years

hippiezep
13 years ago

This hybrid is from a red-white crossed with a dancing queen. I understood that it would likely be four years before the first flowering, but I was very pleased to see that it had flowered after only two. There are several others too, but most are just single red flowers with a small greenish central star.

{{gwi:401014}}

Comments (33)

• joshy46013
    13 years ago

That's a very beautiful bloom, can you post some of the others as well? I like to see all of them regardless if they're 'bland' :)

Thanks, you must be a great grower with bringing them to bloom in 2 years, I know it has been done but it doesn't happen very often :)

Josh

• hippiezep
    Original Author
    13 years ago

This is my first attempt at producing hybrids. Some seedlings from spring 2008 and some from spring 2009 produced flowers this month. About three quarters of them look more or less like this. This one is from Benfica crossed with Dancing Queen.

{{gwi:401015}}

This one is carmen crossed with giraffe

{{gwi:401016}}

• dondeldux z6b South Shore Massachusetts
    13 years ago

Just love your double!!

• hippiezep
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Here's another one. Not sure about the parents, as the labels got blown away in the typhoon, but I'm guessing the same

{{gwi:396414}}

• joshy46013
    13 years ago

Very pretty!

• hippiezep
    Original Author
    13 years ago

And one more

{{gwi:401017}}

• hippiezep
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Another hybrid bloomed today. This one had two blooms on very long pedicels - so long that the weight of the double flower makes them droop. I'm guessing this is another red/white x dancing queen cross

{{gwi:401018}}

{{gwi:401019}}

{{gwi:401020}}

• joshy46013
    13 years ago

I love the drooping appearance, while this is unacceptable in the Dutch hybridizer's mind I think it gives it a very unique look! Some other "droopy" hybrids are 'Zombie' and 'Harlequin', both are Hadeco hybrids!

13 years ago

Wow!! That one is really different and I like it!! Another year you will probably get more flowers..what a sight that will be...

Donna

• joshy46013
    13 years ago

Donna, is it 'Exotic Peacock' that also droops? I know you love the doubles :)

• kaboehm (zone 9a, TX USA)
    13 years ago

This is an excellent example of the genes at play!! You grew many seeds of the same cross and got many differnt blooms. Each one is different. Nicely done!
    Kristi

13 years ago

Josh,

Actually, my Exotic Peacock didn't droop..nothing that I know of droops quite like Zombie..many of the larger doubles droop a bit..but not like Zombie hence the name I guess....

• brigarif Khan
    13 years ago

Isnt it fun.

• hippiezep
    Original Author
    13 years ago

For me it's very exciting - the first time any Hippeastrum I've grown from seed has flowered. Here's another one which opened yesterday, this time double dark red without the white streaks. I don't know the parents, I'm afraid.

{{gwi:401021}}

• joshy46013
    13 years ago

It's incredible how many doubles you got! Is the percentage usually this good when crossing with a double?

• hippiezep
    Original Author
    13 years ago

This is my first experience, so I have nothing to go on. As I mentioned somewhere, there was a typhoon (hurricane) here which blew off all the labels on the seedlings I had planted out, but most of them were either carmen x giraffe; benfica x dancing queen; or bogota x san remo. The only double one out of those is dancing queen, but I really don't know if they are all benfica x dancing queen that produced the bright red and white doubles, as all the ones on my roof that still had b x dq labels produced dark red flowers, either single or partly double.

• hippiezep
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Another one, again with long pedicels

{{gwi:401022}}

• joshy46013
    13 years ago

I'm assuming most of the doubles are from your 'Dancing Queen' crosses but other hybrids you used may also have the genetics to create doubles :) All that matters is that they're beautiful and you enjoy them!

Do you have many others readying themselves to bloom?

13 years ago

Hi HippeZep,

Is there any chance to see a front face shot of this latest one..I can't believe the amount of doubles you are getting. I'm beginning to think that Dancing Queen has super genes as I believe a couple of other posters on this forum have had pretty good success with Dancing Queen giving doubles..but yours numbers are amazing..!!

Donna

• hippiezep
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Front shot here - it's form is very like dancing queen, but with a bright scarlet instead of a more subdued pink

{{gwi:401023}}

• Echo_of_your_past
    13 years ago

HippyZep,
    Wow, those are just gorgeous!! I especially love the 1st one pictured. Gr8 job!
    Sandra :)

• hippiezep
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hi Joshy - there are about half a dozen more yet to flower. Another one opened today - rather similar to some of the others.

{{gwi:401024}}

13 years ago

I still can't believe you'd got all those DOUBLES!!!

• e36yellowm3
    13 years ago

Wow - those are some beautiful blooms! Nice job. I think we'll all be doing a bunch of pollinating with Dancing Queen - that's an amazing amount of doubles. So much for doubling being recessive! ;-)

Alana

13 years ago

HippieZep,

Thanks for posting the front shot of that double!! A real stunner..you've got some real beauties that you might want to name and cataloque so you can find them next year and see if they preform as well, I'll call that one #9 since that the number on your photo album..You could sell that one!!

My Dancing Queen is just sending up two scapes, I sure hope I have others out at the same time so I can attempt to do what you've done..!

Donna

• hippiezep
    Original Author
    13 years ago

A few more in the last couple of days, including a second scape from the first one pictured at the top of the thread (not shown here). I've put the others in a collage for easy comparison. Most are pretty much the same in overall general description with subtle differences in the pattern and colouring. The dancing queen parentage is pretty apparent (if that is what it is - still regretting those labels blowing away in the storm).

{{gwi:401026}}

• joshy46013
    13 years ago

Zep, I will say it again, beautiful Hipps :)

• hippiezep
    Original Author
    12 years ago

The season is just about over. I've had a few more doubles rather similar to the ones above. One I'm pleased with is a hybrid of giraffe (a papilio variety) and Lima (cybister). The collage here shows the giraffe on the left, the Lima on the right, and the baby in the middle.

{{gwi:401027}}

• Echo_of_your_past
    12 years ago

Those are beautiful, HippieZep!
    Sandra :)

• hippiezep
    Original Author
    12 years ago

And here's a final collage of some of the later blooms - rather similar to the ones before, but each one has its own slight differences

Geoff

{{gwi:401028}}

12 years ago

Truly an inspiration for the rest of us....

• brigarif Khan
    12 years ago

"EACH ONE HAS ITS OWN SLIGHT DIFFERENCE", That is the essence of my addiction to breeding.

Sponsored
Ferguson Bath, Kitchen & Lighting Gallery
Average rating: 4.4 out of 5 stars233 Reviews
Ferguson Bath, Kitchen & Lighting Gallery
More Discussions