Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dondeldux

stigma on Cherry Nymph

I have a stigma on my double Cherry Nymph.. the ends look sort of fused together so I'm not optimistic but, I might as well keep an eye on it. The only double pollen I have is Alfresco and Blossom Peacock Oh, and Flaming Peacock..that's what I guess I'll try if I get the opportunity..

Just thought you might be interested as you don't often get stigmas on doubles. I had a so-so stigma a few years back on Pasadena and pollenation attempts failed..as I say the ends look well fused together...

Donna

{{gwi:401596}}

Comments (16)

• dragonstone
    12 years ago

Nice! One of those 'finger crossing' moments that you hope will work.

• dondeldux z6b South Shore Massachusetts
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I guess it will depend on whether the stigma lobes open up a bit..right now they are clenched shut like a fist..

• npublici
    12 years ago

Donna,I have had success on malformed stigma,like that.It mainly depends on if the pollen meets no obstruction on its path to the ova.Sometimes it's open,sometimes not. I have cut off the styles close to the ovary and pollenated that with some success.Good luck.
    Del

Original Author
    12 years ago

Del, How far down do you cut it? Maybe an inch or so from the ovary and then you just put the pollen on the cut end?
    Donna

• npublici
    12 years ago

I dont mean I would cut that one.That one shows promise for normal pollenation.I have cut them when they were fused with petals,even as short as a half, to three quarters of an inch from the base.It has varied from an inch or so and I don't remember what was best. It rarely works,but it has.I put the pollen on the center of the stem/stigma immediately.Sometimes there is an open path,more often, not.I have noticed on Cherry Nymph, the ovary being malformed also.It takes a lot to make all those big petals.
    Del

• aseedisapromise
    12 years ago

This is interesting, and thanks for the posts. I don't know much, but this year received a Nymph (what was labeled Aphrodite) and as I have never had a double before was surprised at the confused bunch of stuff at the center of the flowers- not straight forward at all to my naive eyes. But there was an anther, I think that is what you call it, that was okay, and I used it to pollinate a pink single that was blooming at the same time. I didn't use any "condom" kind of thing, so do you think it could have selfed? I have several little pots of sprouts growing from this cross.

Original Author
    12 years ago

Del, Thank you for your advice, I will try it when the occasion presents itself.. most of the time I don't even bother to look at the doubles but, this one was just right there and I couldn't miss it!

Aseedisaproimise, I wouldn't worry too much about self pollenating your pink.. whatever it is will be a pleasant surprise and I'm sure you'll get some lovely flowers...and most likely your seedings will all be different anyway so you may never know...unless of course you get a double..!

Well, I thought I had Flaming Peacock pollen but I didn't so it was down to Alfresco (fresh) or Blossom Peacock (several months old) so, I chose Alfresco..I have enough of that left for many more dabs and I've already had sucess with a couple of other crosses this season using Alfresco's pollen. Off the top of my head if I had had to choose something else I really don't know what it would have been anyway...so here she is after her second dab..I will continue for several days and let's see what happens. I'd love to be sucessful and share some as I wouldn't want to grow too many of them myself...

Donna

{{gwi:401597}}

Original Author
    12 years ago

What a pain in the neck!!! What happened once again to my first pictures replaced by this one!!!

• seaj
    12 years ago

I hope you get some seeds out of this cross! Alfresco seems really strong. In only 3 weeks mine has bloomed the first of four flowers, sent out 6 leaves, and has already anchored itself well with lots of roots. The bottom heat must have helped with that though. I still can't decide what the fragrance reminds me of. I put some Alfresco pollen on Red Lion because they are the only blooms left.

Original Author
    12 years ago

Failure...

{{gwi:401598}}

• berkeleysgr8
    12 years ago

Awww... bummer! All of the crosses I tried that I was REALLY looking forward to ended up aborting. The ones I didn't pay attention to are the ones that worked! The next bloom cycle holds hope and promise...
    -Tina

• mariava7
    12 years ago

Slice that up Donna and see what's inside. Most of them fully doubles don't have an ovary or as Del said, a malformed one.

Original Author
    11 years ago

I threw it away, but I have another "possible" seedpod on Amy Maguire..a 3 pronged stigma..I didn't notice it until the last minute..her flower was all screwed up this time..not pretty like last year..
    take a look..

{{gwi:401599}}

I'm not optimistic, but it's worth a shot. If this doesn't work I'll take a look inside..

Original Author
    11 years ago

...this last one was a failure too, there didn't appear to even be an ovary...

• berkeleysgr8
    11 years ago

Thanks for the update on this project! Sorry she didn't/couldn't set viable seed for you.

• dragonstone
    11 years ago

I'm sorry to hear that. :\

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus
More Discussions