Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
geoff9

Species List

geoff9
12 years ago

In addition to what has already been beaten to death I have a few species. All are young plants, between a little more than a year and about two years old. Most are seed-grown. If needed I can say a few things about their likes and dislikes:

H. blossfeldiae

H. glaucescens

H. mandoni

H. parodii

H. papillio

and, oh yes, H. morelianum

Comments (7)

• houstonpat
    12 years ago

Where'd ya get the seeds Geoff?

• npublici
    12 years ago

Are you joking about the "if needed"? Any opinion about the growing and breeding of Hippeastrum is needed,especially on a Hippeastrum forum.
    Del

• bluebonsai101
    12 years ago

Long time, no post....all of these species seed and more are available as always from Mauro Peixoto in Brasil.....back to hibernating :o) Dan

• joshy46013
    12 years ago

I don't think Mauro offers H. mandonii or H. parodii as they aren't Braziliian species. H. mandonii is Bolivian and H. parodii is from Argentina.

Mauro does offer most Brazilian species excluding many of the newly discovered.

It would be nice if you'd post information regarding these species, I will post my list of species I have a little later.

Josh

• joshy46013
    12 years ago

Here is my list of species that I currently have

1. Hippeastrum argentinum (Pax) Hunz., Kurtziana 4: 13 (1967).
    2. Hippeastrum aulicum (Ker Gawl.) Herb., Appendix: 31 (1821).
    3. Hippeastrum aulicum f. stenopetalum (Ker Gawl.) Herb., Appendix: 31 (1821).
    4. Hippeastrum blossfeldiae (Traub & J.L.Doran) Van Scheepen, Taxon 46: 17 (1997).
    5. Hippeastrum brasilianum (Traub & J.L.Doran) Dutilh, Taxon 46: 17 (1997)
    6. Hippeastrum breviflorum Herb., Amaryllidaceae: 137 (1837).
    7. Hippeastrum bukasovii (Vargas) Gereau & Brako, Novon 3: 28 (1993)
    8. Hippeastrum calyptratum (Ker Gawl.) Herb., Appendix: 31 (1821).
    9. Hippeastrum cybister (Herb.) Benth. ex Baker, Handb. Amaryll.: 47 (1888).

1. Hippeastrum doraniae (Traub) Meerow, Taxon 46: 17 (1997).
    2. Hippeastrum elegans (Spreng.) H.E.Moore, Baileya 11: 16 (1963).
    3. Hippeastrum evansiae (Traub & I.S.Nelson) H.E.Moore, Baileya 11: 16 (1963).
    4. Hippeastrum glaucescens (Mart. ex Schult. & Schult.f.)Herb .(1837).
    5. Hippeastrum guarapuavicum (Ravenna) Van Scheepen, Taxon 46: 17 (1997).
    6. Hippeastrum leonardii (Vargas) Gereau & Brako, Novon 3: 29 (1993).
    7. Hippeastrum macbridei (Vargas) Gereau & Brako, Novon 3: 29 (1993).
    8. Hippeastrum mandonii Baker, Handb. Amaryll.: 49 (1888).
    9. Hippeastrum miniatum (Ruiz & Pav.) Herb., Appendix: 31 (1821).
    10. Hippeastrum morelianum Lem., Hort. Universel 4: 37 (1842).
    11. Hippeastrum neopardinum
    12. Hippeastrum papilio (Ravenna) Van Scheepen, Taxon 46: 18 (1997).
    13. Hippeastrum pardinum (Hook.f.) Dombrain, Fl. Mag. (London) 6: t. 344 (1867).
    14. Hippeastrum parodii Hunz. & A.A.Cocucci, Bol. Acad. Nac. Ci. 41: 5 (1959).
    15. Hippeastrum petiolatum Pax, Bot. Jahrb. Syst. 11: 330 (1889).
    16. Hippeastrum psittacinum (Ker Gawl.) Herb., Appendix: 31 (1821).
    17. Hippeastrum puniceum (Lam.) Voss, Vilm. Blumeng�rtn. ed. 3, 1: 1033 (1895).
    18. Hippeastrum puniceum f. barbatum (Herb.) Voss, Vilm. Blumeng�rtn. ed. 3, 1: 1033 (1895).
    19. Hippeastrum reginae (L.) Herb., Appendix: 31 (1821)
    20. Hippeastrum reticulatum (L'H�r.) Herb., Bot. Mag. 51: t. 2475 (1824).
    21. Hippeastrum striatum (Lam.) H.E.Moore, Baileya 11: 16 (1963).
    22. Hippeastrum stylosum Herb., Bot. Mag. 49: t. 2278 (1821).
    23. Hippeastrum teyucuarense (Ravenna) Van Scheepen, Taxon 46: 18 (1997).
    24. Hippeastrum traubii (Moldenke) H.E.Moore, Baileya 11: 16 (1963).
    25. Hippeastrum variegatum (Vargas) Gereau & Brako, Novon 3: 29 (1993).
    26. Hippeastrum vittatum (L'H�r.) Herb., Appendix: 31 (1821).
  • geoff9
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Yess, good inferences. The ones that don't come from brazilplants.com come from telosrarebulbs.com. I'll give you a couple of comments on them all, but first I will tell you that there was an accident where some nasty chemicals got in the air here and settled on all the plants. They are washed now, but I can say who complained the most.
    H. blossfeldiae: As young ones they grow in sun or under lights with a will. They take whatever I dish out, cold, chemicals, and keep on growing, slowly in winter of course, but they are strong.
    H. glaucescens: Variable. A couple grew through the cold of winter under lights with bottom heat. Most held steady and a couple dropped leaves. Dropped a lot more after the chemicals except for one very dominant individual.
    H. mandonii: Grows steadily on as long as it is not too cold and wet, or wet for too long. Really is a semi-succulent and wants small amounts of water frequently. After I got it I rotted the roots and the top did not complain, so watch the water. Took the chemicals in stride. A little leaf damage.
    H.papillio: Held their leaves through the cold, but didn't like it. Bulbs kept growing, though. Really didn't like the chemicals and dropped some leaves.
    H. parodii: Deffinitely an underground bulb and will complain if at all raised. Slept through the chemicals and is not awake yet. Last year it woke up in June.
    H. morelianum: Keeps on growing. Clearly didn't like the cold, for it grew smaller leaves, but the bulbs gained weight quite well.

• geoff9
    Original Author
    12 years ago

In a more orderly way I should present exactly what I do from seed onward. I create my own soil, which features a high-quality potting mix into which is added sand, perlite, charcoal and sometimes experimental composts. I haven't settled on this lat yet. Into six-inch clay pots I plant seeds vertically with their tops about a quarter inch below the surface and with the place the radical will come out to the side. I water just right and cover with a clear bag and put the whole thing under lights, as I start seeds early when it is still cold by te window. Recently I've added soil organisms, but I have a ways to go before I can say much. I'll have to compare root systems and bulb growth. Then they grow, and when about an inch tall the bad is removed. As young ones all seedlings have been a snap to grow. I have nothing to say beyong warmth, food, plenty of water and light. As the get older they may be more individual, like the subterranean bulb needs of some, or which is going to be able to be near the cold window. I'm most interested in evergreen Hippeastrums, you see. In this regard, I have found that individuals of H. morelianum, H. glaucescens and H. papillio varied widely in cold tolerance, with some just growing on slowly while others grumped, with or without leaves. H. blossfeldiae just kept right on growing. I guess as they all get older I'll have to find out.