Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kitty747

Seeds?

kitty747
15 years ago

Is anybody interested in seeds if I grow them? Just don't have the time or the space to grow any more for myself. It pains me to just cut nice pods off. These seeds are forming all by themselves, so guess they are "selfed." So far there are seeds forming on Orange Souvereign and a very pretty NOID which is similar to O.S., but just a bit lighter. My Amis are really just getting started with about 30 or so to bloom. After becoming adicted - thanks so much :-), I've purchased many that I saw here because I just can't help myself. I have several of the exotics, doubles, and many singles. I can post a listing of all I have, or post pictures if you wish. Right now these are blooming (Can post pictures later).

LaPaz, Lemon Lime, Chico, Green Goddess, San Remo, Vera, Susan, Flair, Exotic Star, all singles. Then doubles, but would be surprised if I see seed on these: Red Peacock, Nymph, Aphrodite, Blossom Peacock, Double Dragon, and One of my originals that looks similar to Peacock. If there are any that you would like me to try crossing, let me know (and refresh how to do this, please).

Comments (63)

• kitty747
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Okay, here are the very first seeds I've ever had. They're from the first post at the top. The flower was from the grocery store and was just labeled as "red" but as you can see, it is very similar to Orange Souvereign, just a bit lighter, but was very large and I really liked it. Do these seed look good? The pod just popped open this a.m. and all these fell out of it. I always had pictured the seed as being much more sturdy, but I can now see how you can float them to start.

{{gwi:401677}}

{{gwi:401678}}

What is your opinion?

• Noni Morrison
    15 years ago

THose look like nice healthy seeds, KItty! Soon they should be floating like black water lilies with long white roots, and then thin sails of emerald, looking for a new "Island" to appear in the sea where they can put down their roots into the earth.

• java_j
    15 years ago

Hi Kitty747,

I have managed to get Amaryllis seeds to grow. I let them float in water until they started to show roots. I found that about half the seeds sprouted in water. Then I put the sprouted seeds into individual cells with sterile soil. At least half of those cells sprouted leaves. The seedlings should be kept moist, not allowed to dry out.

I like to keep the youngsters inside for the first year or so. The thought is that there are less bugs inside. When they are young, over watering is not such a problem.

I have not had much luck getting the seedlings to grow big enough to bloom. I'm lucky that they are still alive.

• jodik_gw
    15 years ago

Those look like excellent seeds, Kitty! You can see the tiny "lump" inside some of them... the embryo!

What always surprises me is how many seeds are stuffed into one pod! It just doesn't seem like they'd all fit, but since they're flat... well, it just seems like a lot of seeds for one pod!

• kitty747
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I was amazed at the number. This is so exciting. I hope I'm not getting hooked on starting seeds now, but afraid I'll have to start a few :-) You'll see that I just posted on my thread about naming those three from 2000, I think I may have pods forming on Vera, Green Goddess, Lemon Lime, LaPaz, and San Remo. Keep your fingers crossed, and I'll keep you posted.

• sunita_fleuriste
    15 years ago

hiya Kitty

Just wondering if you re still thinking of making your seeds available for sase?

S

• kitty747
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi everybody, Bad news (sorry) Don't think those seeds pictured above are any good. They just all dried up - no embryo showing now. I'm really bummed! Still hoping some of the other pods will mature properly. Will keep you posted.

• JaapM
    15 years ago

Kitty,

These seeds look good to me ! Don't throw them away !!
    They always dry up so that the embryo is hardly visible.
    When in doubt: float a few on water and I'm sure in up to two weeks you'll see roots appearing.

• ladyaustin96
    15 years ago

OMGosh...I'd love some seeds if you have any to spare! Please let me know...email ladyaustin96@yahoo.com

Thanks!!

Kim

• gymnmore
    15 years ago

Kitty - what a generous offer - I can't pass it up. I would love to try some San Remo and Double Peacock if they are still availabel. Your pictures are great !! - Judy

• kitty747
    Original Author
    15 years ago

The seeds pictured above are the only ones so far. The others are just pods, but I'm getting excited, because there are a number of pods developing. Even a double light pink one seems to be developig a pod (shown in the "Can you tell me what these are" thread). I'm getting psyched!! The seeds shown above are tissue paper thin now that they're dried (see below). Do you really think they may be okay? I'll try to float some to see what happens. Give me a couple weeks, if they develop roots, everybody can share them. Let's not get too excited until we see what happens. I still have so many in bloom yet. San Remo has seed pods, but is pushing up another scape. Do we start seeds in a sunny place, or shade? The greenhouse is pretty much cleared out now, so have room. It's quite warm in there also. Wish I knew what I was doing :-)

Here's what those seed look like now. What are all those small ones? (Where did they come from?)
    {{gwi:401679}}

• jodik_gw
    15 years ago

I would think the smaller pieces are simply under-developed seeds that didn't make it to maturity inside the pod. I get lots of those inside pods, too.

It's completely normal for the seeds to look flat and dried out after harvesting. Hold a few of the larger seeds up to a light source... if there's a little sguiggle or bump inside the outer sheath, that's the embryo.

Don't worry, Kitty... chances are good that your plants are producing perfectly normal seeds.

It's my belief that the warmth of sunlight helps in seed germination, as does bottom heat. You have the perfect place for seed sprouting... a greenhouse! The warmth and humidity will most likely help seeds to germinate faster.

I started mine in water, under lights and on a heat mat... my next batch will be started in a flat outdoors, in a seed starting mix. The flat will be exposed to the sunlight, and kept on a concrete slab that will attract heat during the day, and radiate it back at night.

• lyoung_gardener
    15 years ago

Hi there! I have my deceased grandmother's amaryllis'... I split them every year but now that I'm getting to know more I'd like to collect their seeds...here's where I'm confused... when the flowers wilt...that knobby thing behind it (I know that's technical lol) some of them have gotten brown and ugly and some have swollen up and are popping open but the seeds that I can see are tiny and white... from all I've read they are suppose to be black? Please someone explain what I have and if I can use these seeds? Oh, not sure if it's important but they are red..don't know the name ... just bright red :-) Thanks!

• davemichigan
    15 years ago

Kitty, the dry seeds look normal.

I started mine the same as yours. You might have to separate them a little bit. They can be close or touching but don't overlap them too much. At least the embryo part should touch water so that the water can get into it.

Here are mine when started
    {{gwi:401680}}

Then about two weeks later I could see sprouts. I didn't take a picture of those.

Then two or three weeks after that I could see bubblets (mini bulbs and leaves).

{{gwi:401681}}

So just wait a little longer. Yours should be sprouting too. :-)

• soultan
    15 years ago

1young,
    Pictures?

• potential_black_thum
    15 years ago

Thank you all so much for the info! I recently bought some hippi seeds on impulse for no dang reason, and couldn't find any decent information on how to best grow them except from in here from you guys. They've now been happily floating in a container for three days, so thanks again for helping the poor little things have a chance!

• gladys47
    15 years ago

I would dearly love to have some seeds if there are any left. I'm not even really choosy about which ones, tho I do love pink ones!
    Thanks for your kind offer! Gladys

• kitty747
    Original Author
    15 years ago

There are a number of bulbs forming seed pods, but only that one had seed so far. I've yet to try to start any because it's been too cool, but will try soon. I wanted to make sure of the viability of those seed. These are the first seed I've ever had because I always cut the pods off. When the pods ripen, I'll post the names of the mother bulbs. I'm pretty excited about the possibilities, but don't want to jinx those pods by posting too soon :-) Please check back every couple weeks or so. Many of my hippis are still blooming, so there should be pods ripening for a couple months or so, if not longer.

• cindeea
    15 years ago

Kitty, Your flowers are lovely, however, I think some are mis-marked. Your Vera looks Suspiciously like my Pink Diamond
    {{gwi:401682}}

Here's my Vera
    {{gwi:401683}}

And your San Remo looks nothing like mine. I am no sure what it is but it's very pretty!!

San Remo
    {{gwi:401684}}

• kitty747
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi Cindy - I'm realizing that this is not an absolute science and some may be incorrectly labeled. If they were, there wouldn't be Peaches & Cream or Double Picotee (both of which I'd sure love to have). Here is a link, though, that shows San Remo looking like the one I have. Mine came from RC, but their picture leaves a bit to be desired. I looked at van Bourgondein's Vera which I feel does look the same as mine. I think a lot of these look the same in pictures, but in real life the differences may be in the size of the bloom or scape and actual color, which is difficult to convey. Pink Diamond is described as Hot Pink, whereas mine is a peachy pinkish orange color. It does have that white star though. Another factor is the light in which they're grown. I have one that was thought to be Lady Jane (and may be), but each scape that blooms is different (all growing in the same place). I'll get around to posting that another time. Think the thread may be "Can you tell me what this is?" The first scape is ENTIRELY different from the second. I feel these discussions are very beneficial. As usual, I do like all of yours. Whatever they are, they are all beautiful.

Here is a link that might be useful: San Remo

• cindeea
    15 years ago

WOW, that San Remo is totally different than my John Scheepers bulbs. Still, like many have asked before...What's In a Name??? As long as they are beautiful! My Pink Diamond is bright PINK not peachy at all. Go figger! All mine get full sun.

• soultan
    15 years ago

I believe you both have Vera and San Remo, just from different sources, thus probably different growers, thus probably different strains.

• blancawing
    15 years ago

Hi Kitty and Cindee,

I agree with Soultan's conclusion.

Just for fun, here is my "Vera" from Park Seed.

{{gwi:401685}}

• Lisa Ls
    15 years ago

Hi Kitty, I'm really love to give try all of them, 2 or 3 seeds each, not to be greedy, but so far I'm only have Red Lion and Minerva :-)
    My niece gave it to me for Christmas gift last year and I love them much. I'll start to germinate my Minerva seeds soon... :-)

Lisa

• david9707
    15 years ago

I have never seen such beautiful Hippeastrums. In South Africa we are cut off from the world of plants. I have tried to import bulbs from the Netherlands but all were stolen. If you have any more seeds I would be very grateful for some. It does not matter what variety. I will refund you for the postage.

It was wonderful to see your plants.
    My address is: David Laubscher,Po Box 137, Clarens, 9707. South Africa.

• kitty747
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi David, It's such a shame that some people do bad things. We here in the US have also had bulbs stolen. I'd be happy to send you seed when they ripen.

FYI for everyone, I should have quite a few seeds but they take longer than I had thought. Most pods are still green. Just harvested seeds from the one shown in above post "what is it?" That's the first really good looking pod to ripen, but there are some nice looking pods still growing. Also, I still have buds growing and more blooms opening soon, so there should be an abundance of seed eventually. Piquant has tons of blooms now, Bolero just opened today, Hercules is still in bud, Pink Floyd is still just a knub yet, Amputo just opened two days ago, etc., etc. Unfortunately, some pods have aborted, like Vera and SanRemo, which really surprised me because they were quite big. I'd like to post more pictures here, but it make this post slow to open.

• mariava7
    15 years ago

Kitty...Please email me your mailing address.

• soultan
    15 years ago

David,
    You have Hadeco right in your country with dozens of beautiful varieties that we wish we could get here. I suggest you try contacting them and find out where in your area they have outlets and resellers you could obtain their bulbs from.

Here is a link that might be useful: Hadeco of South Africa

• kitty747
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Maria,
    DONE!!!

• Lisa Ls
    15 years ago

Kitty, could you please email me and tell me how to have your seed ?
    Today my Minerva seeds has sprouting (from 8 seeds, only 4 viable), I was so excited !
    Lisa

• kitty747
    Original Author
    15 years ago

The pods are starting to ripen, so think I'm safe in projecting the seed that will be available to share. Some will have much seed; others only a few.

As for crosses -- no idea. Do have an occasional bee flying around the greenhouse. Mont Blanc is so gorgeous that I did a lot of crosses with that one; don't think you could go wrong with anything that one produces. Next year I'll keep track.

For those who have already posted their desire for seed, I will e-mail you with my address. Please send me a SASE with a sticky note listing the variety(s) you would like.
    Thanks in advance, and good luck with the seed! I feel honored to supply you with seed.

Although pods look great, some abort at the last minute, but here goes:

Ready now:
    The pretty orange NOID shown at the very top of
    this post (but not too many seed left). I kept trying to
    start some to make sure seed were viable. Do have
    one sprouted now floating in water.
    Chico (limited amount)
    Rozetta (may be limited since it's a DOUBLE that
    set a pod)
    Clown

With large pods, almost ripe:
    Green Goddess
    Lovely Garden
    Baby Star
    Susan
    Mont Blanc

These will be a little while yet:
    Merry Christmas
    San Remo
    Bolero
    Piquant
    NOID (was sold to me as Lilac Wonder -
    Huge flower - up to nine inches!, good offset
    producer, dark purplish-red)

• blancawing
    15 years ago

Hi Kitty,

I have enjoyed following this thread, and I would very much like to try growing Chico, Lovely Garden, and your NOID (Lilac Wonder). If you still have a few seeds of these varieties left, please contact me with your mailing address.

Many thanks,

Blanca

• kitty747
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi everyone,
    Just realized I have lots of seed on Ludwig's Dazzler. Don't know how I missed that one. Like all the rest, don't know what it's crossed with.

• soultan
    15 years ago

For SASE, I have Ambiance and Vlammenspel seeds about to ripen and ready to send out anyone interested. soultan- at freemail dot hu.

• kitty747
    Original Author
    15 years ago

In adddition to ripe seed from Clown, Rozetta, the orange NOID at top of this thread, and a limited supply of Chico, also have ripe seed from Wonderland (mislabeled as Flair) available now for SASE. Here's a look at what is believed to be Wonderland.
    {{gwi:401686}}

• david9707
    15 years ago

Absolutely stunning. I have never seen such beauties. We do not get them. If you have any seed left and you would post to South Africa, I would like to receive some seed - whatever.
    If you can receive on PayPal I will pay you.
    Regards,
    David

• kitty747
    Original Author
    15 years ago

David, Of course I'll send you seeds -- no problem. I don't do PayPal and don't really want "pay" anyhow, just want folks to be able to enjoy some of my pretties. I feel it's an honor to share with friends and family (and we are family). That's why I fill people's trunks with plants when they just happen along for my garden "tours." My garden seems to know how much I like to make people happy and grows extras like crazy. Most people have trouble growing foxglove (it's so pretty) and they grow like weeds in my yard. Late summer, I can give seed for those as well.

• jodik_gw
    15 years ago

I've never had luck growing Digitalis... until now! Last year, I planted seeds for a mixed variety of Foxglove... and last summer, I planted the young seedlings in the bulb bed among the tulips... this spring, I was rewarded with the most beautiful peach colored blossoms! They're huge, and very pretty! I just adore them!

I've got new seeds started of a different variety... so, hopefully, I will have new seedlings to plant in the beds this summer! What a great perennial!

• Lisa Ls
    15 years ago

WOW...
    Kitty, your wonderland very stunning, lovely colour.....
    Thanks for sharing your beauty babies pics and seeds...
    Lisa

• kitty747
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Tonight I sent e-mails to everyone who expressed interest in some seed in this thread via GardenWeb e-mail. Lisa, please disregard since we already "spoke."

My e-mail address has changed, but don't know how to change it for the purposes of this forum. If anyone can tell me I'd appreciate it. While old one is working at this point, please send e-mail to my new address: Kittykat747a@Yahoo.com.

There will be a few updates in seed availability, since not all have ripened yet, but for now I'd like to get the ones I have into your hands, rather than mine. Of special note, Mont Blanc had huge blooms of fantastic quality. I tried a lot of crosses with that one (and a couple bees may have helped). It has a number of pods going strong. Also, think SanRemo may actually make it this time, but time will tell.

Please get those SASE's to me ASAP. Just indicate which ones you would like. I'll label with their mother's name when I send. I'll also have the envelopes hand stamped at the P.O. If they're all not ready at this time, just include a second envelope for later shipment. They're not heavy, so one stamp on a No. 10 (4 x 9 inch) envelope should suffice. I've found that the self-sticking Saran Wrap works great to keep the seeds separated, and I can write on it.

David, don't worry I'll send a supply to South Africa for you.

Cheers!
    Kitty

• soultan
    15 years ago

I'm just repeating myself: I have Ambiance/X and Vlammenspel/X seeds to share.

{{gwi:401133}}
    Ambiance

• abby11
    15 years ago

Soultan
    I would absolutely love some of your Ambience seeds. The pix is absolutely adorable.

However I do not know how to cotact you. I've looked at yourpage but do not know how to email you.

Thanks Abby

• soultan
    15 years ago

soultan- at freemail dot hu

• ketus
    15 years ago

Hi group, kitty747, do you still have seeds? I´m interested in exotic star and cybisters tipe, I have some White , Pink, and Pink-green Zephyrantes seeds, and Tigridia pavonia seeds

• kitty747
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Ketus, Yes I do have seeds -- lots of them, but unfortunately not many cybisters type. Chico disappointed me in that when the pod opened it was mostly just shaft (I guess that's what it's called). Amputo looks good so far, but sometimes they fail late. Mostly what I have is listed above.

• juan_grow
    15 years ago

Dear Kitty
    Iam from Mexico and maybe is a little be late but i wonder if you still have some seeds of your beauties and there´s a possibility that you could give me seeds, i have a friend who has a po box in El Paso, Texas.
    Thanks

• kitty747
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Juan, Yes there are seeds left -- many. A couple of them are limited now, but there are lots to share yet. Just send me a SASE. I see you have an e-mail address listed, so I'll e-mail you.

• ladyaustin96
    15 years ago

kitty I'm afraid I don't remember if I sent you a sase...so I am going to email again and get the info for sase...I would love to try anything that you have available still...Cindeea got me hooked now and I am grateful!!

Kim

• kitty747
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Kim, Have not received an envelope from you. If you can, please send a slightly larger envelope with about three stamps inside. Only send one envelope, I can reuse it. I'll paste your name & add. over my name. That way only one envelope will be needed. I'll send you a large assortment -- all labeled with mother's name.

Everyone else - There are lots of seed left. Please e-mail me Kittykat747a@yahoo.com.

• cindeea
    15 years ago

Kim...MOI? Did I enable another innocent suspect...lol!