Return to the Amaryllis/Hippeastrum Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Hippeastrum Species Cross

Posted by maida z9TX (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 9, 14 at 11:55

This is the first bloom on my Hipp. neopardinum x psittacinum cross. The bulb came from Telos Rare Bulbs last year and far exceeds my expectations. Now what to cross on it?
Maida

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Hippeastrum Species Cross

Thats a beauty but they are sold out now on it.
Bill Kemp
PS any extra pollen??

o

Maida,

I am so jealous!! I bought one of those last year too from Telos and recently mine lost all its roots so I pulled it up, hopefully in time to save it and did my best to clean it off but it hasn't set any new roots yet. My bulb has shrunken a bit but is still hard and I don't detect any rot. You obviously did something right that I didn't do!! I am dismayed that I couldn't grow this bulb properly as it came to me with nice roots as I'm sure yours did.
Looks like you've got plenty of pollen so you can have some fun with it and good luck picking a suitable partner!

Donna

o

I am thinking mostly white and yellow blooms for crossing with it. I don't want to lose the pattern and coloration of the plant.
Maida

o

Wow what a beauty. I'm sure anything you cross it with will be stunning.

o

Hi Maida,

Have you considered green flowers like 'Lemon Trumpet' (originally known as 'Nr. 0089', registered as Concordia and trademarked as Luxor), 'Jade Serpent,' or cybister 'Evergreen'?

Best,

Blanca

This post was edited by blancawing on Thu, Apr 10, 14 at 6:23

o

Yes Blanca,
I have Evergreen and Green Dragon blooming today and will cross on both of them.
Maida

o

Maida,

Do you know if these are just seedlings and each one will bloom differently or was there a selected seedling that was further propagated? I do hope mine looks like yours, the green star is brilliant!

I noticed that there was no picture of this cross on her website at the time but there was a picture of the reginea x neopardinum.

Donna

o

Donna,
As far as I know they are seedlings and there could be differences in the bloom. She has a picture of the cross on her web site and if you blow it up, it does look a lot like mine. Good luck with yours. Remember my offer still stands.
Maida

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Amaryllis/Hippeastrum Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here