Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
love_the_yard

Mislabeled Bulbs really mean getting Stung Twice

More random thoughts about amaryllis.

Mislabeled bulbs really mean you get stung twice.

First, you do not get the bulb or flower that you wanted. You have to find it and buy it again. And pay for shipping. Again.

Second, since the bulb you received was mislabeled, it is no longer a "named" bulb and thus not as desirable. If you are honest, you can't sell it - or its offsets - as named bulbs.

In the end, you end up not getting what you wanted, having a bulb you don't want, and not being to able to sell it to anyone else for nearly what you paid, either.

Bummer.

Carol

Comments (5)

• Carol love_the_yard (Zone 9A Jacksonville, FL)
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Forgot the flip side - sometimes you get a bulb you do want. (Hasn't happened to me, but maybe some day!)

Carol

• joshy46013
    13 years ago

Many of the bulbs I got that were mislabeled were easily identified! If you post the pictures of the mislabels on this forum one of us can help you figure out what it is. There are other sources such as Bill's emaryllis.com that you can search through the pictures in hopes to find the correct name!

In all honesty the only one I've seen that wasn't able to be labeled was the one Donna just posted for you! The "Mystery" pink!

Josh

• Carol love_the_yard (Zone 9A Jacksonville, FL)
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Josh, thank you so much for the offer to help.

Mmmmmm, so many determinants can cause a flower's appearance to vary. A community-based decision doesn't give me a comfortable feeling. I am not looking to just name these bulbs. I want to sell them since they look nothing like what I thought I was getting. I would like to get at least what I paid. I wouldn't want to buy an important bulb that's cultivar was community-guessed and therefore I don't want to sell a bulb that way. The old Golden Rule: "Do unto others as you would have them do unto you." There are lots of people who aren't that concerned with a bulb's parentage but on the other hand, there are lots of folks who are. They want to know that when they spend their hard-earned money, they are getting exactly what they paid for. They don't want to put 1-2 years into a bulb just to find out: "Oops! It does look an awful lot like X, but really it is Y." I would be very upset. In fact, I was and still am. That's why a mislabeled bulb is such a disservice. It takes an investment of a LOT of time to find out whether or not you were sold the real deal. If you weren't and you are honest, you can only unload it with lots of caveats: "This is what I think it is..." "This is what the folks on the Amaryllis Forum think it is..."

I really feel that the best you can do with these bulbs is give them away or sell them in only the most generic sense by color and photos. I would not consider selling the "Hercules" under any name because I will never know.

I do appreciate the offer to help.

Stung twice,
    Carol

• beachplant
    13 years ago

I rejoice in all the flowers in our yard. Mislabels, weird flowers, surprises....

Life is too short to get upset about a mislabel. My job really helps me put things in perspective, when you spend all day trying to keep people alive a bulb with the wrong name is a minor thing.

Good luck with your bulbs.
    Tally HO!

• dondeldux z6b South Shore Massachusetts
    13 years ago

I just have to add my Two Cents to this issue too..Some of my most prized bulbs.. Giraffe, Desiree, Fairy Tale, Benfica..just to name a few.. have come to me as mislabels!! Now I have had my share of Red Lions and unidentifiable orange types too, but it gives me something to give away when I don't think I can possible fit another bulb or 10 in my collection..Just my thoughts...

Donna

Sponsored
More Discussions