Return to the Amaryllis/Hippeastrum Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Who am I?? Gift from neighbor

Posted by kaboehm 8b (My Page) on
Sun, Apr 18, 10 at 13:33

After admiring a neighbor's amaryllis (filling their front bed) the other day, they dug up a huge bulb with offsets and handed it to me. Any ideas??
(looks like Gordie's cousin!) Mega-star-ish...

Kristi
Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Who am I?? Gift from neighbor

Looks a lot like mine! Don't ya think? Donna

From ~~~ H I P P E A S T R U M S ~~~ 2 0 0 9 / 2 0 1 0

o

Donna,
What is the ID of yours?
K

o

Hi Kristi, This is the eBay bulb that I bought recently and all I know is that is grows in the ground all year in NC zone 7 (I think) and it was a bulb this seller's mother had given her many years ago. I did contact the seller for more information and she didn't have any. I have posted pictures of this bulb on 2 forums and no IDs have come forth. This bulb is FRAGRANT which was a big surprise! Is yours?? The fragrance appeared after the flower had been out for a few days and the flower seems to last a bit longer than most. This was my first bloom and it was rather small, 4 3/4" but I know someone else who also purchased a lot of these bulbs and hers flowered at 5 1/2" to 6" on a larger bulb. Again, how big is your bloom. I think the key to whether or not this may be the same flower is the fragrance.
This is the picture of the listing on eBay.......

From EBAY BULB

Here us a close-up that she emailed me later............

From EBAY BULB

And mine again, I think mine has more red in it so the flower can be variable...

also, the back of the flower is very vibrant and from a distance the back is as colorful as the front...........

Hope this is a help............what do you think?

Donna

o

Mine is just getting ready to open so will report back fully ASAP. The photo I sent was taken in the neighbor's yard.

It's pretty whatever it is, and the bud's backside does have a lot of green, so I think we may be barking up the same tree.

Kristi

o

Here is mine from Northern Florida, these amies been around Florida for a long long time.

Photobucket

o
RE: Who am I?? Gift from neighbor1

I just noticed veins looks different on mine.

o

Your veins/webbing looks more like mine than Donna's. Donna's are more stripe-like without the webbing so much. All have the dark eye. So....Jan...what is yours called?
I guess it might just be one of those "old" bulbs that have been around forever.
K

o

No one has name for this amaryllis. ; (
Jan

o

Hi Guys, You'll also notice that the style on mine is very pink, and the ends of the filaments are a lighter pink, Kristi, yours seems to be more like mine. Jan, yours are white. Look for a sweet fragrance after the flower has been out for a few days.

Donna

o

Well, rats! The blooms just opened on mine, and they are H. Johnsonii!! They were off by themselves and perhaps the neighbor didn't realize this. Will go by today and see if they have other HJ in the bed. If not, will convince(!)them that they need to take this one back and give me some of the above!

:-/
Kristi

o

Well, that's too bad!! When you go back, get some more
pictures and give them a sniff!! Good Luck!!

Donna

o

Mine are not fragrant. ; ( but I still love them.

o

Went walking tonight...stuck my nose in one of their blooms....sweet!! it has a light fragrance, and I came up with a nose full of pollen!
:-)
K

o

Well, maybe it is the same as mine then, the fragrance got stronger the longer the flower was out, in fact even when the flowers were wilting at the very end the fragrance was quite strong!
Donna

Does your neighbor have a name for this flower?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Amaryllis/Hippeastrum Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here