Return to the Amaryllis/Hippeastrum Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Kaori Maihime - a winter grower

Posted by ben773 5a (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 7, 14 at 13:48

Hi:
I have a Kaori Maihime from Komoriya, and according to them, it is a winter growing (growing in Autumn).
Mine leafed out about a month ago, so should I water it and force it to go dormant?
Any advice is appreciated.
Thanks.
Ben
Beach Park, IL

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Kaori Maihime - a winter grower

OMG if you are lucky enough to have a Komoroya bulb that wants to grow leaves then by all means let it!! Let it do what it wants, water and let it grow!!

Donna

o

Hi Donna:
I will let it grow. BTW, I also have a few that just sits.
Examples below:
Piyo-Piyo - Just firmly rooted, no top growth. Bulb is turgid, I even tried to "jiggle" it, won't budge. Hopefully will get top growth this year.
Petit Kaguyahime - No roots and no top growth. Bought it last year. Bulb is still green though.
Bukhasovii hybrid - Just sits for one year, and finally rotted this year.
Only bulb that grows predictably is Festival Pink. Bought last year, 2 leaves all summer. This year, several teeeny offsets and a flower scape beginning to emerge.
All in all, very dissapointing.
Ben

o

I too have about 5 bulbs that just sit and won't do anything. I recently ( several weeks ago) finally cut the basal plates out of desperation (they didn't really need it) hoping to stimulate some growth and nothing yet. I do however have many bulbs that have rooted and still no leaves. I have many bulbs that have rooted and given me 2 leaves. Two seems to be the magic number for leaves for me. Big long leaves though. A few have bloomed and few are going to bloom.

I'm not going to give up hope just yet though, with spring coming and warmer weather who knows?

I have 2 Piyo-piyos and one is going to bloom very soon and has rooted while the other just sits with no roots. My Orange Feather sat for a year and then just rotted. I could go on and on with a different story about each bulb.

Donna

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Amaryllis/Hippeastrum Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here