Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
radagast_gw

I got my amaryllis to rebloom!

radagast
13 years ago

Okay, that's probably not very exciting to a long-time amaryllis fan, but it's the first time I ever got one to rebloom! Years ago, I had several bulbs, and I tried all the various recommendations (putting them in a dark or cold area, etc.) and nothing worked.

Back in late 2009, I bought a basic, cheap Red Lion from a local hardware store. It flowered then, and the goal was to see if I could get it to rebloom.

It wasn't that hard once I stopped trying to do anything special with it. I just gave it plenty of sun and not too much water during the growing season of 2010, and late that year, it lost its leaves and became dormant for the winter. Then, this spring, it "woke up" along with the other plants and put out a flower stalk.

So, I guess the lesson is that it is not too hard to get an amaryllis to rebloom in the spring... getting one to bloom at Christmas may require a bunch of work, however.

Thanks to the folks on this forum who wrote all the various FAQ's and answered questions about these neat bulbs!

I do have one random question, however: is there any way to encourage a bulb to produce more flowers per bloom cycle? Also, what controls the length of the flower stem? I'm always concerned that the stems will get so long and heavy that they'll tip over on their own.

Thanks!

Comments (4)

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars27 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus
More Discussions