Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
johnsonm08

Varigated seedling

johnsonm08
12 years ago

Just though I would share, this is from Black Pearl x papilio.

I hope the future leaves show this too...

Mike

{{gwi:402871}}

Comments (24)

• haweha
    12 years ago

I had a seedling with this appearance to. From H.aulicum v.robustum x "Giraffe". The first leave with a white rib was the 5th if I remember correctly. This is - IMHO: likely AGAIN - an imbalanced chimer with an albinotic cell line. The composition might produce variegated leaves for some years but eventually revert to "totally green" or "totally white". I experienced the latter - big albinotic leaves, first on the latest offset, then on the mother bulb itself, before it had even reached maturity to bloom, which meant a lethal outcome without a single revelation (no maiden bloom). So, do not LOCATE all-too much of your ANTICIPATION in this observation. The next leaf will already provide some evidence. You might find that the white vein either will be broader OR it will have "disappeared". I place the bet before myself, but publicly that the fate will be, the latter LOL!

• haweha
    12 years ago

(2) Even if I win, the next leaf which is the 3rd being green, this must not necessarily mean that all the subsequent leaves will be uniformly green, too. I forgot to mention that my seedling would produce variegation BUT on one side of the fan, iow: every second leaf. HOWEVER! When the bulb produced its first semisheating leaf (these leaves include the bud initials), THEN gradually all the leaves became variegated. I would consider it PURRFECT if you make the same observations!!!

• johnsonm08
    Original Author
    12 years ago

So selling this and retiring on the the profit isn't an option?
    LOL

• pupu999
    12 years ago

Mike. I found one, it might be like yours. But I think it has some problems itself.

{{gwi:402872}}

• grant_in_arizona
    12 years ago

Very cool! I love variegated *anything* and being a Hippeastrum nut means I really like your seedling. It's great. Definitely keep us posted no matter how things go with it. I'm envious.

pupu999, your big one is great as well. What problems is it having??

Thanks for the fun pics and discussion!
    Take care,
    Grant

• pupu999
    11 years ago

Hi, Grant
    You can see the growing point, a little be screwy. It may lead to variegated leaves. By the way, this one grows slowly than normal:P

Puyuma

• grant_in_arizona
    11 years ago

Screwy, what a great word and description, thanks for the reply! I really do like those variegated ones so I hope you both keep them and they thrive for you. Take care!

• haweha
    11 years ago

Puyuma - are you referring to the drop of water that is attached to the base of the first leaf?

• pupu999
    11 years ago

Hi haweha,
    I zoom in the top of the bulb. It will be clearly.

{{gwi:402873}}

• haweha
    11 years ago

Okay my fault. I misunderstood your message and I believed you had been referring to Johnsonm08's picture.

• johnsonm08
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Here is the update. Hans had it right, the new leaf is all green.
    Mike
    {{gwi:402874}}

• haweha
    11 years ago

LOL! Thank you so much for showing the progress! Remember, that only the next leaf will reveal, whether there is STILL albinotic material present in the meristeme.I would be thrilled to observe a reproduction of my experience THEN.

• grant_in_arizona
    11 years ago

Phooey. :( I was hoping it would be variegated like the earlier leaf, but thanks for the update. Keep us posted! Take care and happy gardening all, Grant

Here is a link that might be useful: Pics from my garden so far May 2012

• johnsonm08
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Update, the third leaf is varigated.
    Mike

• haweha
    11 years ago

Thank you for the Update! I regret that the white line is thinner.The 4th leaf will be not-variegated again, and the 5th leaf... it is uncertain, whether it will still show some white line.

• grant_in_arizona
    11 years ago

Interesting! Thanks for posting the update. Let us know how the fourth leaf looks. It's fun to watch this little guy grow, as well as all of the other nice looking seedlings too.

Take care,
    Grant

• johnsonm08
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Update, here is the 5th leaf with the white line, the 4th was green as expected. This is a little bolder than the 3rd--maybe better light since its been out side for the summer?

• kaboehm (zone 9a, TX USA)
    11 years ago

Excellent!
    Kristi

PS, noticed that many also have red going up the backsides of the leaves. Does this only happen with bulbs that will ultimately produce dark blooms?

• kaboehm (zone 9a, TX USA)
    11 years ago

Excellent!
    Kristi

PS, noticed that many also have red going up the backsides of the leaves. Does this only happen with bulbs that will ultimately produce dark blooms?

• houstonpat
    11 years ago

Hey crazyorchids, I had one very similar. I killed it with love... rotted the roots off. :(
    {{gwi:402877}}

• crazyorchids
    11 years ago

This one seems hard to kill. It already has three young pups.

• johnsonm08
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I seem to remember something about papilio haveing a varigated form like that. I thought maybe mine had inherited the trait from that side of the family.
    Mike

• grant_in_arizona
    11 years ago

You're seedling is still looking great, thanks for the update.

Crazyorchids, your variegated plant is awesome--thanks for sharing it! Happy gardening all!

Sponsored
A.I.S. Renovations Ltd.
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars15 Reviews
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County
More Discussions