Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rcarrow143

amaryllis and easter Lily's are they related

rcarrow143
18 years ago

O.K. I should really be studying for my nursing finals, but find myself drawn to my garden.

This is the first time my Easter Lilys and my amaryllis have bloomed at the same time. I was looking at them and the flower is very similar. The amaryllis is bigger. I took pictures of them together but I cannot figure out how to post them on this site. I have played with it for the last hour.

Anyway, are they related. Can you cross polinate the two? What do you think you would get. I do know that the seeds look exatcly alike when they are ripe.

Any ideas? and If someone has some wisdom on uploading pictures let me know and I will post them. (I looked at the direction, but conintue to do something wrong)

I am interested to hear what you experienced breeders think.

Comments (16)

• rcarrow143
    Original Author
    18 years ago

file:///C:/Program%20Files/Common%20Files/Nikon/Services/asimplei.htm/html0001/images/DSC00175flowerflowerflower.jpg

here is a link, of both flowers. I don't know if it will work. The quality is not that good. I wish I could figure out how to just input the picture.

• haweha
    18 years ago

This is not a valid web address.
    Please register to a web space provider and upload your image file there.
    I recommend
    http://photobucket.com/href>

• haweha
    18 years ago

The amaryllids and the lilies (for example the easter lily L.longiflorum) are distantly related but with certainty so far that crossbreeding is impossible.

Even the several sections of genuine Lilium's can not so easily be joined by interspecific crossbreeding.
    It has become a challenge for ornamental breeders which are using all kind of tricks in order to master these challenges:
    http://www.liliumbreeding.nl/nals_2002.pdfhref>

Hans-Werner

• rcarrow143
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thank you Hans, I figured you would be the one to give me some direction on that.

I give up on inserting the pictures, although both the plants are just beautiful. I am way impressed with those of you who are so proficient with the computer. I did upload the pictures to photo bucket. But my computer is not cooperating with me. I cant figure out how to get them into the message. (I am sure it is the user and not the computer, but non the less it has me beat.)

Thanks for both of the links Han's. I find it very interesting. Perhaps when this semester is over, I will actually figure out how to insert a picture.

Thanks...charlene

• rcarrow143
    Original Author
    18 years ago

{{gwi:403246}}
    This is the lily, the next is my amaryillis, there qualities are similiar.

{{gwi:403247}}

• rcarrow143
    Original Author
    18 years ago

{{gwi:403248}}
    Here they are together. And YEA! I finally figured out how to upload pictures. Thanks again Hans!!

• haweha
    18 years ago

What a sudden progress in forum using technologies... Gratulations,
    Charlene
    Now, both blooms originate from genuine hippeastrum bulbs - sn't that good news?! The one with the basic red color and the thin red margins is definitely one Fairy Tale and the other which is so lovely Tube shaped is a cultivar which I often see assigned as "H.vittatum".
    TRY to crossbred them, even if Fairy Tale is 4ploid and the more whitish one (definitaly not a genuine lily) might be a diploid.

Good luck
    Hans-Werner

• plant_guy
    18 years ago

Hans, you beat me to it. That is not a lily, it is an amaryllid. You can try to cross them, maybe you'll get lucky.

Plant_Guy

• rcarrow143
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thank you Han's. I will definately try to cross polinate. And thank you again for guiding me in the right direction to post pictures. I just need to have this semester over so I can play in my garden.

You are such a wealth of knowledge and I so appreciate you and the others that share your experience so freely to the rest of us...thanks...char

• tokyomafia
    18 years ago

The one on the right looks like a mislabeled bulb I got from Christmas Clearance. Looks like {{gwi:403249}} not my pic. Just found via google image search for H.vittatum. It failed self polinating though it did polinate flowers from Red Lion, White Christmas & Minerva.

• haweha
    18 years ago

This photo has been taken by Angelo Porcelli, Italy.
    I saw it being used without permission on a well known-trader's platform *GRRRRRRRRRH*.
    Although it was labeled "H.vittatum" I believe that it is an early hybrid. Other 8images, assignerd with the same species label are stored in the Australian bulb association galleryhref>

• lora_in
    18 years ago

Another excellent link, Hans-Werner ! Thank you,Lora

• rcarrow143
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Hello, I finished my last nursing final today!!YEA I am on break until the end of August. What a relief. I wanted to share pictures of my seed pods from my cross between the two flowers. Interesting the Red flower has much larger seed pods than the white flower. I crossed gowing both ways.
    {{gwi:403250}}
    {{gwi:403251}}
    {{gwi:403248}}

• haweha
    17 years ago

You have well done and nicely documented,
    Charlene.

Are you aware that you might receive more than 500 seeds from these 9 capsules? It would be enough to build up a really BIG stock of knight star lilies. And, who knows, you will find one to be close to that what you think an Easter lily should to look like, and you baptize it, in retrospection to this very discussion....
    Easter Lily.

• rcarrow143
    Original Author
    17 years ago

If I get that many seeds I will have to share. My Base house does not have that much room to grow too many seedlings. I will let you know and share what I can.

As always Han's you are such a great source of information. Thanks to you and everyone else that shares their experiences so freely.

• rcarrow143
    Original Author
    17 years ago

O.K.

I have seeds!!!!Lots and Lots. I have not counted, but way more than I can use. If you are interested in seeds I will be happy to share. Just email me. Char

Sponsored
Franklin County's Top Choice for Reliable Outdoor Construction
More Discussions