Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dondeldux

A pink for Carol

Here's a pink for you, have had this bulb about 4 or 5 years, I don't know what it is and at one time I had 1 large and 5 good sized bulblets..gave one to Alana, and two to someone here I know and kept two. Last year the NBF ate my large bulb and I am left with one a little bigger than a golf ball. Needless to say, I am pampering this last of the Mohegans. I posted this last year for an ID and no one was able to ID it. It must be a named variety..do you recognize it?

Donna

with flash

{{gwi:403319}}

without flash

{{gwi:403320}}

Comments (25)

• e36yellowm3
    13 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Awww Donna, is that your "Cherry Pink NOID"? And it got NBF-ed? Want the one I have back?
    {{gwi:403322}}From Spring 2010

(That pic is actually from last year, it hasn't bloomed this year yet because I was really late in getting the bulbs out this spring.)

Alana

• dondeldux z6b South Shore Massachusetts
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Ya, but I still have a small one..enjoy yours..

Donna

• ajsblu_eyes
    13 years ago

Donna,

I love your last of the Mohegans both the name and the bloom wow where did you find that bulb? Donna you some how find some of the most remarkable hippes (at least in my opinion). :)

AJ

• haxuan
    13 years ago

I also have something pink for you, Carol. But I don't know what it is.

{{gwi:403323}}

Here's the whole plant, with Double Exotica and Candy floss.

{{gwi:403325}}

Another group shot, with a red NOID.

{{gwi:395958}}

I hope you like it.

Xuan

Original Author
    13 years ago

Hi Xuan,

Your pink noid looks remarkably like mine..only yours has a color stripe here and there. Mine is solid pink and never has had a color variation. The hearts of the flowers look the same too.....

Donna

• joshy46013
    13 years ago

Could the pink NOID be 'Paris'? I tried to find some that looked similar and 'Paris' is the only one I can find!

Original Author
    13 years ago

Josh,

I'm pretty sure it's not Paris, I have a Paris and it is a darker pink and a different shaped flower..of course who knows what Paris is, Emarillys had a light pink and a darker pink both labeled as Paris....

I guess Carol didn't like my pink...........

here is my Paris..
    {{gwi:403327}}

Donna

• joshy46013
    13 years ago

Donna, they're much different :)

I think this NOID is a mutt or something WAY from being released if at all! It's beautiful.

• e36yellowm3
    13 years ago

Think maybe it's a Hercules relative?

• joshy46013
    13 years ago

Alana, good eyes ;)

Original Author
    13 years ago

Could be a relative Guys, but doesn't Hercules have a bit of white in the throat and doesn't it have petoloids in the throat also..I don't have one so I'm not sure..there is actually a bit of Lavender in mine..and don't you think Xuan may have the same one..?

Donna

• haxuan
    13 years ago

Donna, I also noticed likeness in yours and mine bloom. If you ever find out the name, please let me know. TIA.

Xuan

• Carol love_the_yard (Zone 9A Jacksonville, FL)
    13 years ago

You guys are the BEST! Wow! Wow! Wow! Like Christmas morning and the best visual buffet I have ever been to, all rolled up together. Thank you SO much for the beautiful photos. I just LOVE your pinks, each and every one of them. If you ever have offsets of these that you would like to trade, I would gladly send you 2-3 full-size bulbs of whatever you want in exchange. Thanks a million for making my day. I sure do appreciate all of the gorgeous photos. I have flagged this post and saved it in my "clippings". Thanks for being such good online friends.

Carol

13 years ago

Sorry, got so carried away that I forgot to answer the questions. I think both of those bright, hot-pink bulbs may be Pink Surprise. It is one of the few pinks that frequently doesn't have the lime-green star/throat in the center, except at the very deepest part. The color is uniform throughout the entire flower from center to tip except in the very deepest part of the center.

However, I say "frequently", because some photos of Pink Surprise do show a larger light green throat/center. They don't seem to be consistent.

(I don't see any striping in Xuan's? To me, the color appears as uniform throughout the petals as Donna's bloom. ???)

About Hercules: some of you may remember back in 2005 or 2006 when I purchased a dozen Hercules bulbs and they all came up dark red. Well, just to confirm, those bulbs have bloomed consistently red every year since then. No change in color - no pink or purplish hue. I don't know if it is the environment, the pH of my soil or a misleading photo from the growers, but mine do not even have a hint of purplish-pink. They are definitely all red for me. It just kills me when I see the dark pinkish-purple flowers posted on the internet - definitely what I wanted - but I don't think those photos are accurate. Even a recent seller on eBay posted two photos of the Hercules they have for sale: one looks like a stock photo from a bulb company where the bulb is pink; the second photo looks like a personal photo and the bulb is red. Too funny, actually. I'll post the eBay link below so you can have a look.

Hercules does live up to its moniker. It is the largest of all my bulbs - easily 1 1/2 times the size of my fist, the tallest of the scapes, the most scapes per bulb - 3-4 scapes per bulb, and always 4-5 blooms per scape. So in that way, Hercules is an incredibly strong, healthy, superhero-type bulb.

Here are current-year photos of my Hercules. Even these photos are not true to the actual color - there is more purple tint in the photo than in reality. In reality, they are a true red with no hint of purple or orange. True red.

Carol

{{gwi:403329}}

{{gwi:403331}}

{{gwi:403333}}

{{gwi:403335}}

{{gwi:403337}}

{{gwi:403339}}

{{gwi:403340}}

{{gwi:403342}}

Here is a link that might be useful: eBay - Hercules - Two photos - Pink and RED!!!

13 years ago

Correction on my eBay comment - no stock photo there - just two different personal photos. Neither looks like my Hercules.

13 years ago

P.S. Donna - don't even THINK I didn't like your PINK! Studying frequently keeps me from responding as quickly as I would like...

• joshy46013
    13 years ago

Carol, your plant above looks like 'Amigo' which is a very pinkish red, it's beautiful with LARGE flowers. The thing about Hippeastrum are most of the reds have a lot of underlying orange where as 'Amigo' doesn't!

Original Author
    13 years ago

Carol..

I should have said streaks on Xuan's photos..in her first photo the bottom petal has a lighter streak on the right side and on the photo group with red no-id it appears that the other photo of our mutual pink has a streak in the left hand upper petal..mine has never has any streaks..but that may be due to the difference in culture or many things.. I agree, they do seem to be the same. And,I also thought at one time it may be Pink Surprise, but the white in the throat in some pictures threw me..

Your above photos are coming across on my laptop and monitor as a dark rose pink..they're very beautiful..not looking red at all..very lovely..

I have a few more pinks for you..You probably have Exposure but mine blooms twice a year and the bloom this summer was outstanding..must have enjoyed being outside. It blooms each winter also.. anything that blooms twice a year gets high marks from me..and Shirley May..from the Maguire's order last year the array of colors in this one was breathtaking..I just loved it! Different shades of pink and lavender with a bit of cream and orange..outstanding! And of course, you probably have Pink Diamond..a work horse..I love it!

I thought the Carol on Ebay was you..??

Donna

Shirley May (Maguire)

{{gwi:403343}}

Pink Diamond

{{gwi:403344}}

Exposure

{{gwi:403345}}

Vera

{{gwi:403346}}

Strawberry Blend (Maguire)

{{gwi:403347}}

I guess I overdid it a bit..sorry..I love pinks too and peaches....

• joshy46013
    13 years ago

Here is one of my absolute FAVORITE pinks!

'Neon'

{{gwi:403348}}

• e36yellowm3
    13 years ago

Y'all forgot the most killer pink of them all...

Pink Floyd!!
    {{gwi:403350}}From 09 / 10 season

And of course another of my personal favorites, Rozetta: {{gwi:403351}}From 09 / 10 season

Alana

Original Author
    13 years ago

I think we're all certifiable.....;-)

• haxuan
    13 years ago

Look at all those pinkies! I love them all. Thanks for sharing.

Thanks for starting this thread, Donna. It's not only for Carol :-)

Xuan

13 years ago

Josh and Donna, the photos are not true to the actual color - there is more purple tint in the photo than in reality. In reality, the blooms are a TRUE RED with NO hint of purple, pink or orange. Plain, true red in the very truest red sense. Think Christmas, not Valentine's Day. If Amigo has a pink cast, then this is not Amigo. The photos may appear pink on your monitor, but do not in real life in the yard to the naked eye.

Donna, I have never sold any bulbs or plants of any kind on eBay. Thinking about it, but haven't yet. Have made a few purchases through the years. The pinks you posted are beautiful and I couldn't pick a favorite. I love them all! Wow, that Strawberry-blend.... new to my eyeballs!

Josh, your Neon is to-die-for. I don't have a Neon and now it goes on my list!

Alana, Pink Floyd has been something I have watched for, for years, but is still not in my yard. Maybe one day. Yours is beautiful!

This thread continues to make my day/week/month/2011! (Xuan, happy to share! You started it with your pink!)

Carol

Original Author
    13 years ago

Actually.. you know Carol..I do understand why you don't care for red..In Florida, you have all your flowers growing outside and I have to say that in the summer up here, I never plant red flowers.I can't stand them in the summer! I just don't like the color red in the hot weather..I prefer all tones of pinks, creams, lavenders,purples,white and yellows. Never any Red! So, since most of my hippies bloom in the house..during cool or cold weather..red is just fine inside..goes with the furniture and the oriental carpets which have some very dark red in them..So, I do understand what you find objectionable about red in the heat..it's just not a pleasing color to look at...

Donna

• joshy46013
    13 years ago

I don't blame Carol either, Red and Orange Hippeastrum are my least favorites! I'd be fine if 'Red Lion' or 'Minerva' were never created ;) *shh, don't tell them I said that!*