Return to the Amaryllis/Hippeastrum Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
New Photos and a Question from Geoff

Posted by love_the_yard z9A Jax FL (My Page) on
Sat, Apr 16, 11 at 14:42

Geoff asked me to post the photos below. He writes:

"These are the other half of the hybrids, an amaryllis bought from a discount store in 1973. I just wonder what it is. It could be sort of historically interesting. I bet things have come a long way since then."

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: New Photos and a Question from Geoff

You can search the KAVB data base for amaryllis registered prior to 1973 and see if anything looks like a match. The white in the throat...may be green...hard to tell...is very pretty!
K

o

See link below.

Here is a link that might be useful: KAVB Hippeastrum

o

I was hoping for pictures of the well fed bulbs that are supposed to produce 12 stakes per year. If you assume that for every 4th leaf 1 stake CAN be produced, then his bulbs developed around 48 leaves in the previous year - rather unlikely!

o

• Posted by haweha 7/Germany/W (My Page) on
    Sun, Apr 17, 11 at 13:41

Perhaps this clone in question produces one scape for every second leaf - never say never!

I appreciate the appearance of the older hybrid shown in the pictures above, very, very much. Thank you for providing these, Geoff, and for uploading them, love-the-Yard, respectively! Those flowers are ultra compact and semi trumpet. I have similar shapes in my mind, when it comes to breeding, and my further goal is slightly other proportions, namely the so-called "butterfly wings" as broad as possible.
In this regard, I feel lucky, that I just obtained 180 seeds out of crosspollination of "PapDon2" with "UnderTheLadder"
Photobucket X Photobucket

o

About the color of the 1973 amaryllis two observers say that in the throat of the flower it has green like the stem and yellow, but in the older flowers the yellow becomes white.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Amaryllis/Hippeastrum Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here