Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
daes80us

Help with my seed!!!

daes80us
11 years ago

So in early December (I think) I cross breed a belladonna with a red amaryllis and produced seed pods that grew and developed into plump seeds. So I split them up and planted half of them in soil and floated the other half. The ones I planted never came up, but the ones I floated grew roots. Not all of them but like 4. I used an ice cube tray and sat it in a south facing window. My house was always a bit chilly in the winter because I kept the temperate at 62-64 well after fooling around with the seeds I am down to one and it has a very healthy root but no other signs of life? It's been months and if what I read was right then the leaf should have emerged by now? I know every one says its pointless to grow from seed because it takes so long and u can buy cheap bulbs but I think the excitement of watching my first seed bloom and discovering what it will look like will be well worth the wait. But is my seed ever going to sprout a leaf? I would think that as long as the root is alive that the seed Is doing what it should? So do I just keep it in the window and wait, do I put it in a bigger bowl I really want this seed to thrive so any suggestions or knowledge about what I should do or any thing about seeds would be helpful!!!

Comments (23)

• snarfie
    11 years ago

maybe it just needs some earth?

• dondeldux z6b South Shore Massachusetts
    11 years ago

I'm looking at your last seed and something doesn't quite look right about it to me. Usually, they have a tiny bulblet and a root, as well as a leaf. What you have looks like a combination of a root and a bulb. I think by now it should have sprouted a root and a leaf. I could by mistaken, but I don't think this is viable. Give it as much time as you want though unless it turns mushy. Change the water about once a week too.

It is not pointless to grow from seed especially if you have healthy seeds! It's fun!
    Hopefully, others will give their thoughts also.

Here is what a picture of a healthy soaked seed should look like before it is planted in soil.

Donna

• daes80us
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Donna your pictures are a bit confusing? It looks like the leaf and the root are in the same spot?

• daes80us
    Original Author
    11 years ago

What part of your seeds are u putting in the water? I have it so that the paper part of the seed is floating and what I thought was the root is submerged in the water?

11 years ago

My above picture was sprouted seeds that I took out of the water before I planted them.They were not floating so that may have confused you.

In this picture you can see the seed floating on the surface of the water and then the bulb portion (which looks like yours) and then the root (which yours doesn't appear to have). The leaf should emerge from the upper portion of the bulb portion.
    But what I don't like about yours is that you don't seem to have a root, just a bulb portion as the root is usually the first thing to sprout from the soaking seed, not the bulb.

Donna

• daes80us
    Original Author
    11 years ago

So should I just give up? It seems healthy and green and not mushy? I really had hoped to get a seed that servived

11 years ago

removing duplicate post

This post was edited by dondeldux on Thu, Apr 4, 13 at 17:20

11 years ago

NO, Don't give up, continue to keep it in water and see what happens. You'll know when it's time to throw in the towel, it will just get mushy. And if you don't mind someone elses crosses, maybe someone will send you a few seeds to play around with if you're in the US? Are you?

Donna

• daes80us
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I'm confused about where everything grows? When I first put the seed in the water I thought the root would grow down and the leaf would grow up? But in ur pictures it looks like most of it is under the water ?

• daes80us
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I'm thinking that since I used an ice cube tray that the seed didn't have enough room to grow so I've put it in something deeper?

11 years ago

That's right...the leaf will be under water too, it can grow to an inch or two under water and be just fine...

• daes80us
    Original Author
    11 years ago

What about the papery black portion? I see it is floating on top of the water but what about when and if I plant does that stay above the dirt?

• daes80us
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Oh so it always stays on top!! Well i will wait and see what happens with this seed, I am really hoping that it grows a root. It's so funny because this whole time I thought what I saw was the root. Thank u so much for ur help Donna and all the great pictures. This is my first time trying a seed, we live and we learn!

• macroclemys
    11 years ago

It looks to me that a bulb is forming, but that the radical (i.e the first root) has failed to elongate. If you have several of these seedlings, perhaps you could transfer a couple to soil. If you keep it alive long enough, maybe it will eventually produce a root.
    I can't remember hearing of a successful cross between Hippeastrum and Amaryllis, so if you have succeeded, it would be worth pampering it to keep it alive.

• daes80us
    Original Author
    11 years ago

macroclemys this is the last of the seeds from the cross. I bought a belladonna which I noticed is much smaller then the other hippeastrum. I pollinated both plants with each others pollen and when the pods were ready all the seeds seemed very viable. But I'm down to just this one and I really hope that it thrives! Now even more after reading ur thread about not knowing of a cross between the two. It was in a very shallow dish so now I put it in a deeper dish in hopes that a root will grow. And I will keep everyone up to date on the progress. It seems healthy and green so I have my fingers crossed.

• daes80us
    Original Author
    11 years ago

And yes Donna I am in the US

• daes80us
    Original Author
    10 years ago

So just moved to a zone 8 from a 6 and very excited about trying new seeds this year. But unfortunately that seed did not make it.

• daes80us
    Original Author
    10 years ago

So just moved to a zone 8 from a 6 and very excited about trying new seeds this year. But unfortunately that seed did not make it.

• daes80us
    Original Author
    10 years ago

10 years ago

Well daes80us it's the start of a new season and even if you aren't able to come with your own seeds, I'm sure some one of us on this forum will be able to help you out with some seeds....!!

Donna

• daes80us
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks Donna I think part of the excitement comes from breeding your own seeds! But if anyone does have amaryllis seeds I'd be happy to have some!

• AuntJemima
    10 years ago

This is certainly not pointless since this will be a rather rare hybrid if it succeeds. Just make sure to change the water. Be interesting to see how it turns out as belladonnas tend to have really weak colours. The ones with stronger colours appeal to me more.

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting
More Discussions