Return to the Amaryllis/Hippeastrum Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
13 month old amaryllis seedlings dying

Posted by brownest_thumb none (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 16, 12 at 15:12

Newbie question. I kept these amaryllis seedlings indoors over the winter in NY, and let them out 2 weeks ago. Ever since they've slowly been drooping and turning red/pale/soft. Only thing I can think of is the cold (~ 40-45 degree at night) temperature shock. Can they recover? I'd be pretty frustrated for them to die now. Anyone have any ideas?

Here is a link that might be useful: Amaryllis seedlings withering

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: 13 month old amaryllis seedlings dying

Looks like rust to me.

o

True, but its the color of the leaf itself not growing on top of it...

o

You may want to take one or two out of their pots and take a look at what is going on with the bulbs... just to see if there is something suspicious below ground.

Tina

o

Quick update,

I've stopped watering them from on top for a week now and they seem to be improving. The only thing I an think of is that the cold weather forced it into dormancy (being that it was at 70 degrees for 7 months and then cruelly thrust outside) or that the watering on top rotted it somehow.
Thanks for the help!

o

Tina,
I dug up one and the bulb itself looks fine (I think). It's a healthy yellow/green and around the size of 3 golf balls. It did have a extremely thin brown crackly coating extending from the shriveled leaves, I peeled it off though. Do you think it's early dormancy?

o

I think they may have dropped their leaves so they could grow new leaves that are better suited to their new conditions. It's good news that the bulbs are decent size and look good! I'm no expert on hippeastrum, this is only my second year growing them. However, I have noticed that most of the plants I've recently moved outdoors have not taken the move well. Some are dropping their leaves and growing new ones. Presumably the leaves they grew while indoors were suited to the lower light levels... and now they need leaves that can handle the higher light that is available outdoors. I think your bulbs will be just fine. Cut back a bit on the watering until you see new leaves emerge. Instead of watering from above, you may want to try watering from below (by setting the pots in a container of water and allowing them to wick up moisture for about 15 minutes at each watering interval). Good luck and keep us posted!

o

• Posted by haweha 7/Germany/W (My Page) on
    Thu, Apr 26, 12 at 5:01

The leaves got sun-burnt that's all. New leaves will appear, that tolerate unfiltered irradiation: So berkeleysgr8 provided the correct suggestion.

o

I'm very happy that one of our resident experts, haweha, agrees!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Amaryllis/Hippeastrum Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here