Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
grant_in_arizona

Hippeastrum x johnsonii in bloom

grant_in_arizona
12 years ago

Hi everyone,

My Hippeastrum x johnsonii are just starting to bloom so I thought I'd share a couple of pictures. It's one of my very favorite Hipps as it's so vigorous, and so generous with blooms. Mine always flowers in early spring outdoors, and then occasionally tosses up a bloom stalk or two in summer or autumn. Oh sure, they're not as large and overlapping as some modern hybrids, but they're really pretty, and so generous.

I grow them on my covered patio year round where they get full sun in winter and then morning sun in summer. The plant is a mess, LOL, with leaves and bulbs pointed every which way, but it's green, and happy, so I just let it do its thing. I bought it as a single plum-sized bulb in 2005 and it's made good progress.

Nothing fancy, but I do hope you'll enjoy. Wilson the tennis ball is in the first picture to show relative size.

{{gwi:404136}}

{{gwi:402315}}

{{gwi:404137}}

Keep your pics and posts coming too. Happy gardening! Grant :)

Here is a link that might be useful: Pics (so far) from my garden April 2012

Comments (14)

• houstonpat
    12 years ago

Very Nice !

• dondeldux z6b South Shore Massachusetts
    12 years ago

I actually think yours is the prettiest Johnsonii I have seen..I don't recall seeing others having such a butterfly shape..maybe I just missed it..yours are very beautiful!

Donna

• haweha
    12 years ago

One of the best Heirlooms. I like the cigarillo shaped, dark buds. Thank you for showing and... absolutely consider thorough self pollination. I am YET to see any progeny, from this cute thing.

• grant_in_arizona
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks for the nice comments, I appreciate you taking the time to look and write. I really love this one too.

I never really thought to pollinate it as I figured it's so common and that any offspring would probably look almost identical anyway, but maybe I was wrong? I'll give it a little self-pollination this weekend, and maybe some pollen from the H. striatum blooming right next to it? Could be fun to see what happens I suppose.

Thanks again! Keep all of your pics, posts and comments coming as well. Happy gardening! Grant

• grant_in_arizona
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Just for fun here's a side view of one of the buds. I don't even know why I took pics of the flower buds, as I never really do that with other Hipps, but I just thought they were sort of neat. That is some "mistletoe cactus" (Rhipsalis baccifera) that I grew from seed that I started a few years ago in the background, just in case anyone is wondering.

{{gwi:404138}}

Happy Gardening!
    Grant

Here is a link that might be useful: Pics (so far) from my garden April 2012

• clancy1985
    12 years ago

Hello everyone! I haven't posted for quite some time, but please be assured that I have been admiring all the hippeastrum beauties from around the world, and have also enjoyed so many of the discussions and information offered.

But I just had to post to add my admiration to your Johnsonii, Grant. I've never seen one with such a gorgeous tweak to the petals, I think Donna has described it perfectly as a butterfly shape. She's just beautiful, thank you!

Haweha, I was lucky enough to have my first Johnsonii x self bloom just a few months ago (after about four years). It is a little different to the parent bloom, perhaps a bit more 'refined', but then of course, I'm biased. I do have a few photos.

Thank you once again Grant in Arizona, your plants are wonderful.

• haweha
    12 years ago

From a consideration of breeding strategy, I object to crosspollinating with a Knight Star Lily from the "Orange Group" (H.blossfeldiae /rutilum /striatum).

You will MISS the opportunity of creating progeny with highly attractive, long white midribs.AND you will likely dilute the intense red color.

I am sad to say - rhetorically speaking - that I am spoiled brat as to Hippeastrum Flowers: I require the spectacular, notably "dramatic contrasts" - and many Hippeastrums are just to un-conspicuous.Considering the Minimum of 2 years until maiden bloom from seeds, I can ONLY provide you with suggestions to breed with a strategy.

• sun_worshiper
    12 years ago

Beautiful Grant, thanks for sharing. Mine is blooming too:

{{gwi:404139}}

{{gwi:404140}}

I only got one bloom this year, but can't wait until my bulbs multiply. I attempted to self it, we'll see what happens.

• grant_in_arizona
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks for the replies. I decided to self it in the hopes of encouraging more bright red and white contrasting stripes. :) I did put some pollen onto the last of my H. striatum blooms so I'll see what THOSE do too.

sun_worshiper your blooms are stupendous! Thanks for sharing them and do keep us posted on any seed pod developments. These really are fun plants.

Happy gardening all,
    Grant

{{gwi:404141}}

• sun_worshiper
    11 years ago

Last year's attempt at selfing johnsonii didn't take. They are starting to form scapes again this year, so contemplating my pollination options.

One option is crossed with this noid heirloom variety:
    {{gwi:390154}}
    It's flowers are bigger than johnsonii, and both are fragrant.

This noid garden passalong:
    {{gwi:390156}}
    Its foliage has a much neater habit than johnsonii but it isn't as brilliant of a red. The goal would be a neat foliaged offspring that keeps the brilliant red color.

What do people think?

Does the offspring tend to inherit more traits from the pollen donor, or the seed producer? Or is that random?

11 years ago

Well, my opinion would be to try them all; another self, and your two pictures above. Your first garden heirloom variety is very striking and a real eye catcher! Have you ever just selfed that one?

Donna

• sun_worshiper
    11 years ago

Thanks for the input Donna. That first heirloom selfs really well. I selfed it last year and have a small tray of very robust seedlings coming along. Can't wait to see what they bloom like. This year being better established I got 5 scapes. I have selfed 4, and so far it looks like every pod is going to take. That would be awesome - I plan to do a big in ground planting this year. The last scape just starting to open, and I think I will cross with johnsonii and maybe picotee if that scape opens in time to provide pollen.

11 years ago

Angela,

I just happened to notice on your first picture of Johnsonii that someone (you?) has cut the leaves off close to the ground on the other bulbs. My curiosity is getting the better of me so, why did you cut them or did a rabbit do it for you??

Donna

• sun_worshiper
    11 years ago

You are so observant Donna! I had to stare at it a bit before remembering=) That was me. Those are narcissus bulbs, and I had just pruned their foliage back. Most of it had died away, but I got impatient and pruned back the unruly foliage so I could see the hippis better. I've since given up on narcissus. They produce loads of foliage here, but rarely bloom, just not enough chill hours. I now mix the hippeastrums with curcuma. Here's that same spot last August:
    {{gwi:404144}}
    If you look close you can see the hippi foliage mixed into the curcuma foliage. The curcumas don't break ground until the hippis are done blooming, so they don't obscure them, they bloom most of the summer, and their foliage provides some summer shade for the hippi foliage, which in this full sun spot they appreciate.

Oh, and that tiny foliage in the foreground is zepheranthes candida. Newly planted last year, but have filled in nicely this year, giving a nice foreground border that is evergreen.

Sponsored
More Discussions