Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dondeldux

H. reginea x neopardinom

Hi,

I ordered these a few weeks ago from Telos Rare Bulbs and they came today. They look really good and they are well rooted with some cut leaves and they are both well endowed with offsets. These should clump up easily if I can only make them happy!

{{gwi:404258}}

Now when I google neopardinum all I can fine is pardinum. Are they one and the same? Anyway, I thought they were pretty and as you can see from the picture from their website the flower on the right is conjoined. Of course I don't expect that to happen again. I just hope I can make them happy!

I would appreciate any advice that anyone has on how to treat these bulbs. For now I will just use my regular grainy well draining potting soil...I can see that these bulbs were totally submerged in the potting medium and I usually plant my bulbs very high. Should I cover these with soil the way they were?

I am very happy with them and there are several more that I may try in the near future.

Donna

I attempted to correct the spelling of neopardinum and I couldn't correct them all....

Here is a link that might be useful:

This post was edited by dondeldux on Sat, Apr 6, 13 at 16:35

Comments (14)

• brownest_thumb
    11 years ago

h. Neopardinum is definetly a different species than h. pardinum
    According to mariano saviello h. neopardinum will soon be renamed as H. cardenasii.

I have both although they have not bloomed yet.
    neopardinum has lines and pardinum has dots from the pictures I've seen.

• dondeldux z6b South Shore Massachusetts
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you both. I was unable to find cardenasii and I was unable to open Mike's link but, I did find h. neopardinum at this link below. They also have a reverse cross flower (to mine) that looks a bit different. I think if mine looks like the picture on Telos' website I will be happy..

Donna

Here is a link that might be useful: H. neopardinum

• brownest_thumb
    11 years ago

It's in this album

Here is a link that might be useful: hippeastrum species photos

Original Author
    11 years ago

Great!! Thanks a lot....

• brownest_thumb
    11 years ago

your welcome. I also found this in a recent ebay auction:

Hippeastrum pardinum (first image) is often mixed up with H. neopardinum (third image, not up for bidding in the current offer), a dubious taxon which is said to be found near a village called Atén in Nor-Yungas Province of the Department of La Paz, Bolivia. Some growers consider that H. neopardinum to be a variation of H. pardinum as âÂÂneoâ is a Latin prefix which stands for âÂÂnewâÂÂ. Len Doran opines that the prefix is assigned to H. neopardinum as it is âÂÂsimilarâ / âÂÂclosely allied toâ H. pardinum. My observation of the flowers and growth habit suggests that there are significant differences between the two: the dotted pattern of H. pardinum appears to be rather coarse (see first image and second image of a drawing extracted from plate 633 of Flore des Serres, with courtesy). Nevertheless, H. neopardinum is noticeably distinguished by the fine, linear pattern. Besides, the segments of H. pardinum are largely elliptical-ovate in shape but the segments of H. neopardinum are lanceolate with an acute apex. In cultivation, H. pardinum is always self-sterile and multiply slowly by means of vegetative growth. On the contrary, H. neopardinum is a self-fertile species which makes viable seeds.

Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you for the additional information.

Currently the cut leaves on these bulbs are turning yellow and I'm hoping that they won't all die off. I'd always rather have twisted or folded leaves than have them cut. I'll be very relieved when I see some new leaves growing but I fully expect them to sulk for the time being.

They are currently sitting on top of an old fashioned TV cabinet where they get a little warmth when the TV is on but not too much.

A hopeful Donna

• jstropic (10a)
    10 years ago

Donna,

How are these doing for you. I ordered these as well as the neopardinum x psittacinum cross and wondered how you were cultivating them. Mine are outside (potted) in a lot of sun and rain and growing. Changed my mix to add grit/pumice and increased the vermiculite but I haven't repotted these into the new mix yet as they seem to be happy at the moment.
    -J

Original Author
    10 years ago

Jody,

I keep mine inside as I keep all my special bulbs or bulbs that I can't replace because each year I loose at least 10 bulbs to the Narcissus Bulb Fly. To answer your question they are doing splendidly! I have the two bulbs in one large pot and they are growing new leaves and there are at least 6 offsets with small healthy leaves showing about 5 inches. They are in the same well draining mix that I use for all my bulbs and they get about 3 or 4 hours of sun (no more, maybe less) each morning. No sign of any buds though...

I hope both your varieties are doing well and can't wait to see pictures of flowers when either of them should bloom for you!

Donna

• jstropic (10a)
    10 years ago

Donna,
    Hearing that they are growing/thriving under somewhat different conditions gives me more confidence in growing them as they seem pretty adaptable - as hippeastrum go anyway :) My bulbs are small so I think they have a bit of growth to go before I see flowers, maybe next year. So I'm hoping yours are further along so I can see flowers sooner!

Sorry to hear about the narcissus bulb fly problem. This year seems to be a caterpillar/cutworm year for me - I'm on constant patrol since I noticed them eating through leaves. Today I found two blossom peacock almost-ready-to-open-buds eaten off at the base and found the miserable worm that did it chomping on some leaves! I guess there is always something :)
    -J

• rredbbeard
    10 years ago

Hi Donna--don't use the old-fashioned TV to warm living things. The radiation at close range is very low, but over a period of weeks it may have a permanent effect. I know this sounds overly cautious, but it's true....

--Rr

Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for the advice Rick, I will move my plants around and find some that aren't so precious to put on top of the TV!

Donna

• rredbbeard
    10 years ago

(...you'll have triffids before you know it!)

;-)

Original Author
    10 years ago

I seem to be having the opposite reaction, the roots died on one plant instead of growing to gargantuan proportions! Maybe I should leave that one there!! ;-)

Sponsored
More Discussions