Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
calvin_ragoonanan

Newbie...Sort Of

Calvin Ragoonanan
13 years ago

Hi everyone,

I have been an avid reader of this forum for a while now. I am from the island of Trinidad in the Caribbean. I had a couple of amaryllis years ago, but through neglect and other factors I lost them. About two weeks ago I purchased a NOID white amaryllis that has just leaves so far. Last week I purchased some more bulbs, Red Lion, Carmen, Rilona, Christmas Gift and Apple Blossom. I hope that they are labeled true to name. Two of them are growing scapes already.

Over here, as the climate is tropical, people tend to keep their amaryllis evergreen and I plan on doing the same. I am glad that I was able to get a few varieties as mostly a red (perhaps Red Lion?) is available here. Only one garden center that I know of carries these bulbs in very limited quantities and only seasonally. Also Royal Colors doesn't ship here. It will be interesting to see how I can grow my collection with these limiting factors.

Happy Gardening!

Comments (12)

• radarcontactlost
    13 years ago

Welcome to the forum! Im not sure of your customs laws but most seem ok with seed. I know there are lots of people on here including myself that freely share seed with others. In fact I have some that I could share with you right now if you would like. It may take a few years to get to blooming size, but in your climate you have a leg up and might be less time. Welcome!

• dondeldux z6b South Shore Massachusetts
    13 years ago

A second welcome to the forum..don't forget to post pictures of your flowers when they bloom!

Donna

• Calvin Ragoonanan
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks for the welcome guys.

Radar - I appreciate the offer but I don't think that I have the time and resources needed to fully devote to raising healthy seedlings. Thanks anyway.

Donna - I do plan on posting lots of pics. :)

• Calvin Ragoonanan
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Ok. So two of my hippies bloomed and the three others have scapes. The Carmen is really Carmen I think. However, the Rilona is definately not. It most closely resembles Eos on the Emaryllis site. I'll see if I can upload some pics.

• joshy46013
    13 years ago

Welcome to the forum :) I can't wait to see your pictures!

• Calvin Ragoonanan
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks Joshy.

Here is the first bulb to bloom. Is it Red Lion?

[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v606/triniguy/Amaryllis/041911-1.jpg[/IMG]

This one followed a day after. It was supposed to be "Rilona" but it is definitely not. Could it be "Desire"?

[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v606/triniguy/Amaryllis/041911-2.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v606/triniguy/Amaryllis/041911-3.jpg[/IMG]

• Calvin Ragoonanan
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks Joshy.

Alas, it seems that I'm not immune to mislabeling even all the way over here.

Here is the first bulb to bloom. Is it Red Lion?

{{gwi:404294}}

This one followed a day after. It was supposed to be "Rilona" but it is definitely not. Could it be "Desire"?

{{gwi:404295}}

{{gwi:404296}}

• dondeldux z6b South Shore Massachusetts
    13 years ago

Hi,

Well, I don't think your first flower is Red Lion..I don't have Carmen, so why do you think it's isn't? It seems to be a very nice dark red..as for the second one I don't think it's Desire..the shape of the flower is different,(from mine anyway) here is my Desire. Mine has a definite Salmon look to it with pink midribs..

{{gwi:381959}}

Both of your flowers are lovely..and I'm sure someone can help you more than I can..you did a great job of loading your photos by the way..

Donna

• Calvin Ragoonanan
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hey Donna,

Thanks for the reply.

The first flower isn't as dark as I've heard Carmen described, but it definitely has the flower shape. The other red will bloom in a day or two, so I'll have that one to compare it to.

I took a wild guess with the second one. I think it most closely resembles Eos from the Emaryllis site. I hope someone can give it a proper ID.

Here is a bloom from Christmas Gift. The flower stems aren't that long and the flowers aren't that big. I've heard that these are the characteristics of this variety. Can someone confirm/ID this one as well, please?

{{gwi:404297}}

{{gwi:404298}}

• Calvin Ragoonanan
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hi guys. I know I haven't been very active, but I came her to shamelessly plug a blog that I have recently started. It's not an amaryllis blog, but a general gardening one, although amaryllises will be featured when they do happen to bloom. Have a look if you so desire. Thanks.

Here is a link that might be useful: Trini Garden

• berkeleysgr8
    11 years ago

Welcome triniguy! In Trinidad, you'll probably want to follow a similar schedule as Xuan does in the Philippines. She provides her amaryllis with a rest period by removing the bulbs from their pots, drying them a bit and then tucking them in a refrigerator so they have a simulated seasonal chill. In your environment, you may need to provide a little extra care.

I am also a collector of both orchids and hippeastrum/amaryllis.

-Tina

• Calvin Ragoonanan
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hi Tina.

I don't have much time to garden so I grow the amaryllises evergreen. I'll be happy for them to bloom whenever they are ready.

I mainly container garden. I have mostly phal-type dendrobiums and a couple of cattleyas and vandas. I am slowly growing my collection. I'll be updating the blog soon.

Here is a link that might be useful: Trini Garden

Sponsored
More Discussions