Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_17497

wants some bulbs?

HU-17497
12 years ago

So i was down at Home depot last night and was looking at some of there bulbs with an employee and we were talking about how bad the bulbs looked and how some had already bloomed inside the bags. apperantly a manager over heard us talking and came over to see what we were talking about, once she saw and understood that the bulbs had been sitting in there on the shelves since october ], she then proceded to tell the lady i was talking with to through them away in the trash. we gathered up all of the bulbs (about 20 or so) and loaded them in a trash bag. then the lady looked at me with a smile on here face and asked me if i could "drop these off in the trash" on my way out.

they say garden amaryllis pink or garden amaryllis red on the out side of the bags. some on the bulds look pretty shrivled up but they have a leaf of 2 on them. so all of you expert gardeners should i soak the bulbs before i plant them or should i just stick them in the ground and keep it moist and treat them like anything else.

Comments (7)

• berkeleysgr8
    12 years ago

Nice score! Even if they're distressed, they should recover well enough to bloom again by next year (assuming you'll be growing them outside).

I would peel off the papery coverings on the bulbs and look for anything funky (mushy spots, red blotch, etc.). If you have funky looking stuff, post photos here and folks can give you advice as to how to proceed. The ones that look healthy can either be soaked and potted up or just potted up directly into a damp, well draining soil mix. I like coco coir, perlite and rice hulls... but there are almost as many growing mixes as there are amaryllis growers on this forum! Don't overwater them! You need to give them a bit of time to establish roots before watering much.

Good luck! Post photos of your project... it would be fun to see the outcome!

Tina

• sun_worshiper
    12 years ago

Nice! That's a great windfall. I'm sure most of them will grow just fine.

I personally wouldn't soak them, since they seem most sensitive to overwatering. All you experts out there - when should you soak a bulb, if ever?

• Carol love_the_yard (Zone 9A Jacksonville, FL)
    12 years ago

I always soak dried out bulbs before planting in the yard. I pack them tightly into a flat tupperware so that they all stay roots down, neck up, and can't slide, flip or turn. Then I fill with about an inch of warm water (not hot) and let sit for a few hours. That's about an inch - I DON'T fill the tupperware. The warm water wakes them up since they are soooo dehydrated. Then I plant out in the yard. I am in Zone 9a, Jacksonville, Florida where all of my bulbs are grown in the ground, year-round.

Congrats on your big bag of trash, have fun and good luck!

Carol

• kaboehm (zone 9a, TX USA)
    12 years ago

Tina,
    Please be careful with these. I don't know how seriously you are about expanding your collection or if you are worried about "virus", but many of the bulbs that we bought at the big box stores (HD/L/etc) showed up with virus once the leaves appeared and the weather warmed. If you can live with virused bulbs (as many are doing), then by all means enjoy your haul!!!

Sorry to be a wet blanket, but just warning you. If you have special "prized" bulbs, keep these separated from them!

GOOD LUCK!!!
    Kristi

• berkeleysgr8
    12 years ago

I wasn't the original poster, but your message is a good one Kristi. I learned my lesson about the importance of placing new plants in "quarantine" a few years ago. I had an extensive orchid collection and I placed a newly acquired orchid in among my collection... I ended up with a nasty, infestation of scale that I still haven't been entirely successful at eradicating. Unfortunately I've lost about 3/4 of my collection since then (due to scale, viruses and "mystery deaths").

Tina

• HU-17497
    Original Author
    11 years ago

here are a few of free blooms
    {{gwi:404341}}
    {{gwi:404342}}
    {{gwi:404343}}
    {{gwi:404344}}
    {{gwi:404345}}

• berkeleysgr8
    11 years ago

Thanks for posting follow up photos! Very pretty!

Sponsored
Miller Woodworks
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars21 Reviews
Franklin County's Trusted Custom Cabinetry Solutions
More Discussions