Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dondeldux

Hippie No. 0016

Look what's coming..No. 0016!! Only two flowers..now what should I do with this..I'll save the pollen of course but what if anything.. should I put on it? I have Lima but it's a new bulb and I'm always "leary" but I have an older Sumatra which appears healthy...No papilio pollen.. :-( I have Evergreen but that bulb is new too....and a little Chico left but that's new too!!

I'll post pictures when she opens all the way...

Donna

{{gwi:404525}}

{{gwi:404527}}

{{gwi:404529}}

Comments (19)

• kaboehm (zone 9a, TX USA)
    11 years ago

Was that offered by Ludwig?? I was very interested in this cybister. Ohhhhh....can't wait to see the full photo!
    Kristi

• dondeldux z6b South Shore Massachusetts
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I bought this from Maria on Ebay..last year. It had already bloomed so I didn't get to see the flowers until this year..I like what I see so far..but I've already remove the pollen so her "coming out" pictures won't be as nice without the fluffy slippers...

• dragonstone
    11 years ago

Is this a bulb from a cross-pollination?

Original Author
    11 years ago

I'm sure it must be.. what what I haven't a clue..Chico, Lima, Evergreen..some nice mix..I wonder what Exotic Star might do..I might try it on one..

• lenanen
    11 years ago

Wow, it looks fantastic already and it's not yet fully open!! Can't wait...

What size is the flower?

Exotic Star sounds good...

Original Author
    11 years ago

Hi Guys..

Well, No.0016 has opened more and I probably took the pictures too soon (as I tell everybody else not to do) as I think she will be more curvaceous in a few days, but here she is. I am a tad disappointed, but I think that is due to the fact that I cut her fluffy slippers off and we all know that is half the beauty of these cybisters..and.. there are only 2 flowers. I'm sure 4 flowers and 2 stalks would enhance her appearance greatly.

She looks like a cross between Evergreen and Lima to me..what do you think? I don't think she is quite as pretty as either of them..(do I hear jaws dropping..) and nowhere near as lovely as Chico..that said, here she is..

{{gwi:404531}}

{{gwi:404532}}

{{gwi:404533}}

{{gwi:404535}}

and for size comparison..here she is with Piquant which is a 6 1/2" flower...and no, I don't want to trade her, but I do wish I had bought a Tiramisu!!
    So, since I only have 2 flowers to work with what do you think I should put on her..I guess I'll try one with Exotic Star..but what about the other?

{{gwi:404536}}

Oh, and the color in these photos is pretty accurate..the green is the Evergreen green...

Donna

• fishing_dentist
    11 years ago

She is a real beauty Donna! Thanks for sharing!

Original Author
    11 years ago

A drop of nectar..

{{gwi:404537}}

and I guess her final shape..not much different than a few days ago...

{{gwi:404538}}

• dragonstone
    11 years ago

It's so weird how narrow the petals are... hehe.

• joshy46013
    11 years ago

Dragonstone,

There are many, many 'Cybister' hybrids which all exhibit similar shapes, check them out!

• dragonstone
    11 years ago

It's something I'll have to add to the list for next year if I have the money at the time. :)

• joshy46013
    11 years ago

Oh man, you for sure have to at least buy 'Chico' and test it out!!!!!!!

• dragonstone
    11 years ago

So far what I have on my "need to get" list is Papilio since it seems like everyone's in agreement that offspring tend to be unique, and Mrs. Garfield because I like the white stripe down the leaves. I'll add Chico to the list since it's another unique thing to get!

Original Author
    11 years ago

Cybister No. 0016 has set two really good looking seedpods!! Jewel and Exotic Star !! Imagine my surprise..since her pollen didn't take on anything else..I tried several crosses. Time will tell what's inside :-)

{{gwi:404539}}

• pupu999
    11 years ago

They are very expected indeed. Nice, Donna!

• dragonstone
    11 years ago

Those are two happy seed pods! Let's hope they're filled to the brim with lots of exciting seeds. :)

• berkeleysgr8
    11 years ago

I hope the Jewel cross produces nicely scented flowers and that that Exotic Star cross brings out the best of the papilio and cybister heritage of the parents.
    -Tina

• bubbles68
    11 years ago

Hey guy's I would really like to get some seeds to these beautiful photos. we do not have chico, emereal, ruby rose. only Sumatra and bogota. I also am looking for Yellow Goddess, mondonii, bukasovii

Anyone out there who has seeds let me know I am in South Australia.email couturecol@adam.com.au.

thank you every one, cheers, Ann

Original Author
    11 years ago

Hi Ann,
    I did get a handful of seeds from each of these pods and I am currently soaking them and some of them are sprouting.
    None to spare or share though..Cybisters very often don't give you many seeds. I only had the two flowers, maybe next year if I get the chance again I'll have some to share, since now I know that No.0016 does set viable seed!

Donna

Sponsored
Grow Landscapes
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Planning Your Outdoor Space in Loundon County?