Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sun_worshiper

Johnsonii Surprise

sun_worshiper
11 years ago

Turns out I got a mystery bulb mixed in with my H. johnsonii order. I think I like the mystery bulb even better. Now I'd love to know what it is. Its scapes come out a spectacular purple color:

{{gwi:404672}}

{{gwi:404674}}

{{gwi:404676}}

Here it is fully open:
{{gwi:404678}}

The seedpods and parts of the stems are also purple:

{{gwi:404680}}

And it is a giant - towering over true johnsonii (in background). Its scapes are 32 inches tall! Compared to johnsonii, whose scapes are around 18-24".
{{gwi:404682}}

It is not at all fragrant, unlike johnsonii which is strongly fragrant. It does seem to be somewhat self sterile, I have been polinating the blooms, and those that were crossed with other things seem to be setting seed pods, whereas the selfed blooms have not.

Here's johnsonii for comparison

{{gwi:404684}}

So, any guesses about what I have?

Angela

Comments (11)

• dangles
    11 years ago

I don't know what it is but its very striking with its white stripes I think its a keeper regards and happy growing danny

• dondeldux z6b South Shore Massachusetts
    11 years ago

Angela,

You've got a real show stopper there! I love the saturated red pedicels and scape covers, it looks like the whole bud has been drenched in beet juice! And the green and white centers really pop!
    A very fortuitous mislabel, aren't you glad you're the one who got it!!

I'm waiting on one more variety of seedpods to open and then I'll get to sending you and Jane some seeds.

Donna

• blancawing
    11 years ago

Hi Angela,

Your surprise bulb reminds me of my Sophisticate bulbs. It isn't an exact match. However, I think that the similarities far outweigh the differences. In addition, mine are grown indoors unlike yours, which could account for the slight variation. If you would like to see a photo, shoot me an email through my page.

Best,

Blanca

• sun_worshiper
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Yes, I'm very glad I got this one! Another great thing about it is that it can take full FL sun without the bloom life being shortened. Some of the other varieties are more delicate (like Voodoo) and need partial shade, or the blooms suffer on hot days.

Donna, glad to hear the seed pods are coming along well. I'm clearing out my planting bed where the seedlings I'm growing from your seed last year will go - exciting! I'll be happy to share any of my seeds you might be interested in with you in return.

Blanca, thanks for the id! I googled it, and it does look very similar. I'd love to see a picture of yours, and sent you an email, let me know if you don't get it.

Angela

• blancawing
    11 years ago

Hi Angela,

You've got mail! I hope that the photos help you to ID your bulb.

Cheers,

Blanca

• haweha
    11 years ago

I am a spoilt brat, as regards Hippeastrums. But this is truly a Jewel, it is FABULOUS, and you are lucky, and I am envious and I must know the identity!

• sun_worshiper
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I think Blanca is right, that Sophisticate seems most likely - thanks Blanca!

• dondeldux z6b South Shore Massachusetts
    11 years ago

My Sophisticate never bloomed!!! I've had it for two years!! Look at the vigor of your plant!!

And, I must ask where you got your plant? I was under the impression that ETGBs in CA was the ony one selling Sophisticate currently....I must be wrong!

Donna

This post was edited by dondeldux on Fri, Apr 26, 13 at 15:38

• kaboehm (zone 9a, TX USA)
    11 years ago

Amazing how red the sheath of the bud is!
    Really pretty!
    K

• sun_worshiper
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I can't believe you can't get yours to bloom Donna! You are so good at getting everything to bloom.

I bought my bulbs from Southern Bulb Co in the spring of 2011. Mixed into the Johnsonii were this bulb, and another that bloomed pink (the vendor replaced the bulbs that were not true to type). So the year would be correct for the introduction of Sophisticate. I don't know what vendor they got their bulbs through, but I know they sourced them from another vendor rather than growing them themselves. They tried finding out what the pink one was from their source, but were not able to get an id. The purple scaped one didn't bloom the first year, and last year it bloomed at a lower height, so it was less apparent that it was a different type, but this year it is clearly different. Whatever it is, you are right, it is a very robust plant. It has made several offsets, and the mother bulb put up 3 scapes this year.

I wonder if the pot you have it in is big enough. Looking at my bulb plus its offsets, the clump is easily a foot across, the offsets like to pop up a good ways from the parent bulb. I hope you can get yours to bloom!

• rgebczynski
    10 years ago

I would probably guess its a hippeastrum escobaruriae, which looks very similar to yours.

I attached a picture and here is a link :

http://tropicalflowers.la.coocan.jp/Amaryllidaceae/Hippeastrum%20escobaruriae/Hippeastrum%20escobaruriae.htm

Sponsored
Schlabach Woodworks
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars16 Reviews
Franklin County's Reclaimed Wood Professionals
More Discussions