Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
southerndirt_gw

Sick Amaryllis

southerndirt
16 years ago

I'm new to this, so forgive me ahead of time. I was given a bunch of amaryllis bulbs which I planted into a wonderful bed. I have been so excited as I've watched them grow and sprout into flowers. They have been just gorgeous as they have bloomed. But now, they are turning all yellow and spotted. What is going on? Do I need to spray them with something, and if so, what? Please help.

Comments (5)

• macthayer
    16 years ago

It sounds to me as if they are going dormant, which is a natural process that all bulbs go through. My only concern here is to be assured that the "spots" aren't powdery mildew. In that case, a fungicide would be a good idea. What I would do is slow way, way down on the watering, and let the plants go completely dormant. Don't be surprised if all of the leaves turn yellow and fall off. At that point you can either leave them potted and put them in a cool, dry place, or take them out of the pot and do the same thing. As long as they're healthy, I'd leave them potted, but it's your choice. Then as soon as they show the first sign of growth, which may not be until fall, you can re-pot them with a fresh, very well draining soil mix, and start with adding small amounts of water. The bigger the growth, the more water they'll need to support the growth. MacThayer

• kaboehm (zone 9a, TX USA)
    16 years ago

If you live in Alabama, then I would think this is much too early in the year for them to go dormant! In SE Texas (similar climate) they don't go dormant until the weather cools in the autumn.

I just invested my $5 in Schultz's 3in1 spray today. Don't believe I lived without it before now! (fungicide, insecticide, and miteicide!).

Good luck! Someone will have the perfect answer. I've been growing them for over 10 years, but until now have only had the common Christmas-boxed variety (with a couple of exceptions).

Kristi

• macthayer
    16 years ago

Another thing you can do is to - very gently - unpot one of the bulbs and check the root system. Overwatering is a common problem for "Newbie's" with these bulbs. If the roots are rotten, then you've given them too much water, and that is why you are having a problem. (if they're not rotten, just gently put it back in the pot.) My mother-in-law over-watered the 2 Amaryllis bulbs I gave her a year ago Christmas. The roots just fell off when I took the bulbs out of the pots. I tried to bring with back by un-potting them and powdering with a fungicide and leaving them out of the pot -- just keeping them in a cool, dry place and waiting to see if they would show any sign of growth, but they just shriveled up and died. If you do find rotten roots, let us know and maybe someone else will have a better idea. I'd love to know because I gave her two more this year, and one looks like she's been overwatering it again! MacThayer

• jodik_gw
    16 years ago

Since you said you were growing them in a bed, Southerndirt, I'm assuming they're outdoors in the garden... it's not dormancy they're going into; it's time for growth and recharging... dormancy comes in autumn/winter.

I would think that you have some sort of fungus or insect. Schultz's 3-in-1 insecticide/miticide/fungicide might help if the problem is either bugs or some sort of mildew or fungus. Or, you can look for a systemic granule formulated for ornamental plants or bulbs, and use that...

Watch the watering... hippeastrum bulbs don't like to remain too moist for too long. They require excellent drainage and hate "wet feet".

Now is the time to feed your bulbs, too... they are in active growth, recharging for next years blooming... they are heavy feeders after flowering. You can use most any decent fertilizer, such as MiracleGro or Osmocote timed release...

I hope this information helps you to some extent... you can do a search here in the forum using key words describing your problem, and you should find some relevant posts...

• elizabeth_jb
    16 years ago

Southerndirt,

There is a lot more information needed. Alabama is 400+ miles from north to south, so the zones are quite different in northern Alabama compared to southern Alabama.

Here on the coast, the established amaryllis in the flowerbeds have only begun to bloom within the last few weeks. If they are hardy amaryllis, a light frost will not harm the leaves.

So, I have some questions for you.

Were these newly purchased bulbs or from a friend's garden?

When did you plant them in the beds?

When did they flower?

I'm not assuming anything here, since you are new. Are the yellow spots on newly formed leaves are on the scape which had the blooms on it?

If you will answer those questions, we can take it from there.

Sponsored
More Discussions