Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dondeldux

Take a look at this !!

Hi,

Have any of you had this happen before..the seeds start to germinate before the pod has opened? This pod of selfed Temptation cracked open this morning and about 1/2 hour ago I released the seeds only to find that about 10% of the seeds had already started to germinate!! I guess these babies really want to grow!

I have one more pod that should crack open tomorrow or so of the same Temptation selfed so it will be interesting to see if maybe this is a trait of Temptation. What do you think?

Carol, some of these will be coming down to you..I'll pick some that haven't started to grow!!

Donna

{{gwi:404702}}

{{gwi:404704}}

I guess I'll have to soak the started ones and I guess I'll also soak a few of the regular ones to see what the difference is in their germination.

Comments (7)

• Carol love_the_yard (Zone 9A Jacksonville, FL)
    13 years ago

Holy COW! No, I have never seen that! Wow, those are ready to go. Sure you don't want to put the germinated ones directly into damp soil? They look ready... but I think thye will be successful no matter what you do! I'm really excited for you!

Only send me seeds if you find you have extras... you may need all of these super-seeds. If you send any, just put them in a napkin and a regular envelope. That's how I sent seeds to Maria last year and she said they arrived just fine. Don't want you to go to lots of expense.

COOLEST THING I'VE SEEN ALL DAY!

Carol

• kaboehm (zone 9a, TX USA)
    13 years ago

Put bubble wrap in the envelope. Cindee sent me seeds a few years back and they were crushed by the postage cancelling machine!
    K

• Carol love_the_yard (Zone 9A Jacksonville, FL)
    13 years ago

Kristi, I hear ya! However, Donna, don't bother with the bubble wrap for me. Risk no more than five seeds and just send in a napkin and ziplock bag in a regular envelope for regular postage. All four of mine did make it to Maria like that last year. If they don't make it, not that much lost.

Carol

• dondeldux z6b South Shore Massachusetts
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hey Guys, I wasn't going to listen to Carol and just send them in an envelope without bubble wrap (no offense Carol) I know you are just trying to save me some postage. ;-)) I too received seeds from someone in just an envelope and they were crushed also..I always send my seeds out in style..! Carol I have PLENTY of seeds so don't fret that I won't have enough for myself. I am just about at the end of my pollenating and don't want any more than 20 or so of these anyway.. in fact when I open the second pod, (after I save some for Maria) I should have some left if anyone else is interested.

I found 15 seeds that had started to germinate and the rest look normal.

Thanks for the advice guys..

Donna

• joshy46013
    13 years ago

Carol,

If I float the seed I always wait till the leaf appears before I pot up as they're easier to handle and can transfer much faster. Maybe this is the reason you've had problems with floating in the past. When the new leaf is a good .5 inch or so they can be transferred into a very moist potting medium and slowly let the soil dry more. The transition takes only a few days at most and all my seedlings survive.

Donna,

sounds like a beautiful cross :) I've never seen seed germinate like that, I wonder how fast they'll grow or if they'll be EXTRA large plants, you need to hold onto some of the pre-germinators!

When you put the seeds in the envelope make sure you write "Hand Cancel" as this is what destroys the seed! That's something we do at the bulb societies to avoid seed crushing lol!!!! If you send in a plain envelope you might as well throw them away!

• e36yellowm3
    13 years ago

Donna, nice - so I guess there's no question that they'll be viable right? ;-)

Alana

• haxuan
    13 years ago

That's very interesting, Donna.

You will have plenty of babies to nurse along.

Xuan

Sponsored
More Discussions