Return to the Amaryllis/Hippeastrum Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Papilio crosses in bloom

Posted by houstonpat 9a (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 12, 11 at 17:27

These are photos of plants that resulted from crosses I did in the spring of 04.
Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Betty Jack

Dragon's Blood

Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Papilio crosses in bloom

Pat, these are beautiful!

The first cross looks a lot like my H. papilio x H. reticulatum, by any chance, is that your cross too?

Do you know the parentage of all of these?

Josh

o

Pat, great job! I especially love the 5th bloom (in front of all that green grass). Lovely flowers!

Carol

o

I can't pick a favorite..they're all so beautiful..

Donna

o

• Posted by haweha 7/Germany/W (My Page) on
    Wed, Apr 13, 11 at 3:52

Thank you for showing!
I like the one with these inclined flowers in intense red very much, too. If I did not know better, as that you created it by pollinating "Red Lion" with H.papilio (my memory is very clear, on THIS occasion), then I would rather be inclined to take it for a hybrid with "Reggae" *g*! Do you know the parentage of the others?

o

Pat your pictures are absolutely fantastic! :) I must get a hold of more blooming papilio!

How is your patch/group of papilio doing is it still thriving? How about the one Papilio you mounted?

Sorry to bombard you with questions but I know your papilio must be doing well to get so many wonderful crosses with them.

AJ

o

• Posted by haweha 7/Germany/W (My Page) on
    Wed, Apr 13, 11 at 8:26

The SECOND one with the multiple funnel (trumpet) shaped florets, should be worth to be subjected to "commercial production" - How many flowers per umbel???

o

Thanks y'all
The 1st and 4th is Lemon Lime on Pap
2nd and Last are H. johnsonii on Pap
3rd I'm not sure
5th Hans Your quote is correct, but my statement on parentage is not. I must correct the parentage on that cross to H. papilio on H. aulicum. It remains my favorite thus far. Though not especially floriforus I consider the color, markings and presentation special. This winter I will move this plant and offsets into a deep sphagnum basket as both its parents grow well for me epiphytically. And, I tend to kill some with too much water.

o

Wow, all so different and all beautiful! How exciting!

o

Lovely, 5th is what I would love to have.

o

Arif, Can you receive bulbs in Pakistan?

o

Pat, these are so pretty. I am now starting out to collect some colors. I just found out a site on internet with %30 off but you don't get your bulbs until middle of October.
But your cross are beautiful......
Marie

o

Thanks Marie. Middle of Oct. is good for blooming at Christmas. ... Are they from So. Africa?

o

Pat, the red with green throat form is a real winner from my perspective....well done :o) Dan

o

My favorite is the 4th picture, I really like that one ;)

o

As I look at them again, I think I like Betty Jack the best, but they're all just lovely..but I love the colors and the form of Betty Jack..a friend of yours??

o

Again, many thanks y'all.

Hey Donna.. Betty Jack is my late mother who got me started in growing gardens.

Like others, I am interested in recording hybrids. One though I had was: listing by detail discription and photos to the IBS website Gallery. Any thoughts??

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Amaryllis/Hippeastrum Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here