Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
houstonpat

Papilio crosses in bloom

houstonpat
12 years ago

These are photos of plants that resulted from crosses I did in the spring of 04.

{{gwi:404989}}

{{gwi:404990}}

{{gwi:404992}}

{{gwi:404993}}

{{gwi:404994}}

{{gwi:404995}}

Comments (16)

• joshy46013
    12 years ago

Pat, these are beautiful!

The first cross looks a lot like my H. papilio x H. reticulatum, by any chance, is that your cross too?

Do you know the parentage of all of these?

Josh

• Carol love_the_yard (Zone 9A Jacksonville, FL)
    12 years ago

Pat, great job! I especially love the 5th bloom (in front of all that green grass). Lovely flowers!

Carol

• dondeldux z6b South Shore Massachusetts
    12 years ago

I can't pick a favorite..they're all so beautiful..

Donna

• haweha
    12 years ago

Thank you for showing!
    I like the one with these inclined flowers in intense red very much, too. If I did not know better, as that you created it by pollinating "Red Lion" with H.papilio (my memory is very clear, on THIS occasion), then I would rather be inclined to take it for a hybrid with "Reggae" *g*! Do you know the parentage of the others?

• ajsblu_eyes
    12 years ago

Pat your pictures are absolutely fantastic! :) I must get a hold of more blooming papilio!

How is your patch/group of papilio doing is it still thriving? How about the one Papilio you mounted?

Sorry to bombard you with questions but I know your papilio must be doing well to get so many wonderful crosses with them.

AJ

• haweha
    12 years ago

The SECOND one with the multiple funnel (trumpet) shaped florets, should be worth to be subjected to "commercial production" - How many flowers per umbel???

• houstonpat
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks y'all
    The 1st and 4th is Lemon Lime on Pap
    2nd and Last are H. johnsonii on Pap
    3rd I'm not sure
    5th Hans Your quote is correct, but my statement on parentage is not. I must correct the parentage on that cross to H. papilio on H. aulicum. It remains my favorite thus far. Though not especially floriforus I consider the color, markings and presentation special. This winter I will move this plant and offsets into a deep sphagnum basket as both its parents grow well for me epiphytically. And, I tend to kill some with too much water.

• jackie_o
    12 years ago

Wow, all so different and all beautiful! How exciting!

• brigarif Khan
    12 years ago

Lovely, 5th is what I would love to have.

• houstonpat
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Arif, Can you receive bulbs in Pakistan?

• Marie Tran
    12 years ago

Pat, these are so pretty. I am now starting out to collect some colors. I just found out a site on internet with %30 off but you don't get your bulbs until middle of October.
    But your cross are beautiful......
    Marie

• houstonpat
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks Marie. Middle of Oct. is good for blooming at Christmas. ... Are they from So. Africa?

• bluebonsai101
    12 years ago

Pat, the red with green throat form is a real winner from my perspective....well done :o) Dan

• joshy46013
    12 years ago

My favorite is the 4th picture, I really like that one ;)

• dondeldux z6b South Shore Massachusetts
    12 years ago

As I look at them again, I think I like Betty Jack the best, but they're all just lovely..but I love the colors and the form of Betty Jack..a friend of yours??

• houstonpat
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Again, many thanks y'all.

Hey Donna.. Betty Jack is my late mother who got me started in growing gardens.

Like others, I am interested in recording hybrids. One though I had was: listing by detail discription and photos to the IBS website Gallery. Any thoughts??

Sponsored
Outdoor Spaces
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars19 Reviews
Experienced Full Service Landscape Design Firm Serving Loudoun County